Oilcooler R380 Gearbox

lbj

Does anyone know anything about an oilcooler for a TD5 R380 gearbox? Is it any good, is it expensive, and where to buy? I have looked through the topics but hasen't found anything (or I havn't searched enough!! ). I have been on Aschroft web-side but haven't found anything there.

The reason for looking for an oilcooler is that the mainbox on the TD5 has destroyed a bearing (206.000km) and we believe it might be due to high oiltemp. in the gearbox. We have seen it in a few TD5 all driving long distances, so this could be the reason.

Any suggestions?????

Lars

Guest diesel_jim

I'm going to be fitting one to my project110. the euro (non UK) Td5's should have one as standard.

there are several sorts available though....

one is just a length of pipe that fits under the radiator, thats the standard "euro" one... Ashcrofts had some on special offer a while ago.

like this: post-130-1197409805_thumb.jpg

then there is the military "wolf" XD 300Tdi type, which uses the same chassis side pipes, but has a proper "oil cooler" radiator that fits in front of the main engine radiator.

like this: post-130-1197409852_thumb.jpg

Or the south african spec 2.8 6 cylinder (still with R380), which is a much better cooler than the euro "pipe" type, but will also fit onto vehicles with airconditioning (which the military one above won't)

this:post-130-1197409933_thumb.jpg

You'll need the adaptor that bolts to the side of the gearbox: post-130-1197409725_thumb.jpg fits here: post-130-1197409743_thumb.jpg

part numbers:

post-130-1197409970_thumb.jpg

post-130-1197409993_thumb.jpg

hope that helps a bit! B)

Might I suggest that you look at using a full synthetic oil in your Gearbox, look at Redline oil brand.

I know that they did a trial in western Australia, with TNT truck running road train from Perth to Darwin, the normal oil in the powerdivider diff used to last one trip. They were doing oil analysis and the last I heard that the Redline Oil had done six return trips without any noticable degradation of the oil . I should mention usual disclaimers, dont work for redline or have any financial interest.

I use their product thruout my own vehicles, V8i3.9 CSW Lt85 maxidrives front and rear, and also defender 300tdi130DC HCPU (now sold) .HTSH :D

Does anyone know anything about an oilcooler for a TD5 R380 gearbox? Is it any good, is it expensive, and where to buy? I have looked through the topics but hasen't found anything (or I havn't searched enough!! ). I have been on Aschroft web-side but haven't found anything there.

The reason for looking for an oilcooler is that the mainbox on the TD5 has destroyed a bearing (206.000km) and we believe it might be due to high oiltemp. in the gearbox. We have seen it in a few TD5 all driving long distances, so this could be the reason.

Any suggestions?????

Lars

I have a spare take off plate for an R380...

Use the proper hose ( I only suggest teflon / stainless braid ) as it will be running ATF through it which eats most rubber hose, even hydraulic, and if using fuel hose will fill your gearbox and cooler with soggy bits of manky hose liner!

Last one I did cost the bloke about£220 for the cooler and 2 stainless steel braided hoses made to length. Cooler only really needs -6jic ends . If you go for an engine oil cooler then the ports will be huge and by the time you have fitted reducers the whole thing will be huge!

Give me a call if you need more help

Many thanks

David

Never heard of ATF eating hydro hose, my PAS is plumbed in with hydro hose and runs ATF, not noticed any degradation :huh:

RR auto oil coolers are half plumbed with rubber hose too.

Depends what grade of hose you are using.... R6 / R7 etc......

There are a few rubber goses that will run ATF but you need to be sure you use the right one. More imortant on PAS than gearbox to be fair as all the holes are smaller and easier to clog.

I just use teflon / stainless as a matter of course - it is neater, smaller od for the given id and guaranteed not to struggle with the fluid. Only downside is you have to use swaged or compression fittings on it but life is much better without crappy wormdrive clips all over your plumbing anyway :D:D

David

I used to work for these guys in the UK http://www.setrab.com aside from getting any oil cooler in any size, they did a cooling pack which had its own fans.

Been a while since I was there, and you often have to buy from a reseller such as http://www.lister.co.uk/Uploads/products/pdf/oilcoolers.pdf (also worked for them for a while) ask for Andy Berry and he can sort you out with any cooler and hydraulic swaged pipe ends like wot he did for my V8 !

I used to work for these guys in the UK http://www.setrab.com aside from getting any oil cooler in any size, they did a cooling pack which had its own fans.

Been a while since I was there, and you often have to buy from a reseller such as http://www.lister.co.uk/Uploads/products/pdf/oilcoolers.pdf (also worked for them for a while) ask for Andy Berry and he can sort you out with any cooler and hydraulic swaged pipe ends like wot he did for my V8 !

I sell Setrab coolers and guess where I get them from? Listers!!

Andy B is indeed the oracle of all notorsport hydraulic plumbing.. Give him a call as with a bit of luck he will point you to one of their distributors - namely me :D:D:D

David

Guest diesel_jim
How does the oil circulate ?

There's a pump inside the box Andy. where the adaptor jobbie bolts on, you have to unbolt a kind of "link pipe" which just routes the oil out of the pump and back in again.

you can also get an adaptor with an oil temparature switch on it, so if you didn't want the whole cooler just have a warning light on the dash.

I was just wondering whether there is a particular reason for fitting a gearbox oil cooler? I was thinking of looking into this after travelling to Land Rover Fest as my 300tdi Defender 90 gets very hot when running 285/75R16 tyres but when it's running 265/75R16 it seems to get warm but nowhere near as hot! Is this just because the bigger tyres are stressing the gearbox more & would I benefit from a cooler when running larger tyres or have I got another problem?

Guest diesel_jim
Oops sorry I forgot to ask, where can I get the wolf bits from if I decide to have a go?

over the LR counter, either a main dealer or somewhere like bearmach can get them. they have normal LR part numbers, so easy to get.

David - I don't doubt your expertise but it's an amazing coincidence that you also happen to sell teflon/stainless hoses :P

I also sell black rubber hydraulic hose by the hundreds of metres if you want some but it is no good selling the customer the wrong stuff just because he won't listen to reason.

Buy what you want from who you want but if you ask me what I recommend then you get the right stuff for the job and if you won't pay the pennies extra it cost then buy the wrong stuff from someone else with pleaseure.

I sell 'posh plumbing' to all sorts of race cars from local club to national championships and I am not going to risk the reputation I have built up in this market on a penny pinching LR owner.

David