Heated washer jets TD5

lynall

Heated washer jets..... Why would you want them??? Is that so you can pour hot water all over the windscreen and crack it? Waste of time in my opinion.

stops them freezing up in cold weather, and lets you spray tbh not much warmed water/antifreeze mix on the screen clearing it. i think cracking it is a bit lot melodramatic.

they work well and are fitted to tonnes of cars, if its a possibility, i say go for it! i for one get annoyed when mine freeze

How hot do you really think they get?

All they do is stop the washers freezing so you have not got to stop and clear the windscreen every 10kilometres which i was having to do in the Alps a few weeks ago.

I also use warm water to clear my screen and have done on every car i have ever owned and have never cracked one yet, note warm not hot! pour it over slowly to let the screen soak up the warmth and wipe the screen with wipers lasts until you get some heat put of the heater.

Lynall

I can remember some years back, in one of the 'Street Machine' Mags, they suggested getting a length of washer tube and running it from the washer bottle, coiled around the top hose and then to your washer jets. Beats £100 quid anyhow.

Ivan

I used to own an MGF and the jets used to freeze up alot here in the UK. The engine was in the back so there was no heat to keep the water in the jets liquid.

The first time I had to drive 100 miles with no washers on damp salted motorways was no fun at all!

I think the alcohol in the washer water would evaporate off and leave water in the tips of the jets to freeze. A kit from some rover garage cost about 25quid (maybe was a good few years ago) and was just a replacement for the jets with a tiny coil to keep the jet from freezing up.

Sorted out the problem.

You could tell they were working becuase the jets were in the middle of the bonnet and when frosty there would be two melted bits around the jets.

MGF Washer jets

:) Soooo All we need now is somebody to find a similar kit for defenders or able to supply an mgf kit and the electrical knoweldge to make it work on a defender..............its now top of my xmas wish list!

Happy xmas all

davie

Are you sitting comfortably? Anasthetic to hand? Good.

The MGOwners Club site was unsuccessful in giving any returns against the Part Number VUB100220 or 'heated washers'.

Googling VUB100220 gave several returns, indicating a price of about £40.00 in 2001, and about £60.00 in 2005.

Searching Rimmer Bros for VUB100220 gives :

Part Number VUB100220

Description JET ASSY-HTD-W/SCREEN

Retail Price £71.31 inc. VAT (£60.69 exc. VAT)

Nice idea, pity about the price.

Ahhh, the advantage of a final proof read.

Using the search term 'heated' on the MGOC produces a result, of sorts.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/232dlk and scroll down.

Heated washer jet assembly

Price: £69.95 Including VAT at 17.5%

This becomes £71.89 once p+p has been added.

I use 50/50 screenwash mix, which solves any pipework freezing problems, and tends not to freeze on the screen, although with a heated screen anyway, that isn't much of a problem. Jets can disappear under a heavy frost, or snow, so heated jets could be worthwhile. They were a standard fitment on some Classic Range Rovers, but never, as far as I know, on the 38A.

Now you have a target price, perhaps someone with an interest in Fords could follow up the original suggestion?