Boring Old Range Rover

RAF-mechanic

How do...

Wonder if you pro's can help me out. Iv recently bought and old 89 rangie (3.5 efi) Auto, iv only bought her for towing cars round and about. To start off with i have had problems with the engine playing up and not wanting to start, but after a few handy tips and hints iv got her running OK, but not perfect yet. Still a few other things im waiting for to get her running perfect.

Right enough about that. I love driving this old classic but its too plain for me. Im wanting to spice it up a bit and make it into more of an off roader. I have never really played about with stuff like this before and im wondering what wonderful modifications there are out there.

Heres some of the ideas iv had... if you could make some suggestions as to how i can get these done and maybe some other ideas to:

Off road wheels and tyres

Raised suspension

Winch

High front Bumper (or original with bull bar)

Side Steps

Maybe some Chrome

Also i was wondering what a performace air filter can do for these types of vehicles... i didnt think they would be much use...

any ideas appreciated...

cheers

Chris

post-5853-1197833258_thumb.jpg

Chrome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o:o On a classic Range Rover!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o:o:rtfm::rtfm: Be careful or you'll be :banned::banned::lol::P

Ahem, on to your other questions - there are a million different answers. If you're new to off roading I would suggest not going too crazy to start with, maybe some AT's on steel rims, particularly if you are doing road miles and towing. More agressive treads will only compromise on road performance.

Why side steps? Normally if you are prepping a vehicle for off road you take the side steps off!

Suspension raise - again, if you're towing a lot and on road a lot this will compromise performance.

Bull bar - all down to personal taste, but check with your insurance company.

Winch - how often do you intend to use it and what for?

In this instance, the magazines would be a good place to start as they are full of adds to tempt you.

Oh and the performance air filter? Doubt you'd notice the differnce on a 2 tonne brick!

I would suggest you start with some tyres, either MT's or AT's and fit good recovery points. Do a bit of off roading and take it from there.

haha... well i dont wanna insult anyone with my lack of knowledge... suppose ya gotta start somewhere eh

Do you think it will look soft with chunky tyres on but not raised... i have seen one of the members vehicles... (TUFFSTUFF) hope they dont mind me mentioning them... and what they have done with theres is kinda what im looking for...

i agree that removing the side steps will look better... like i say, im just looking for ideas...

where can i get my hands on the modded front bumper with the recovery points etc

anyway, cheers bishbosh for your msg

Chris

Think you need new springs anyway as it does look a bit low, the question is whether to replace with standard and then regret it a few weeks down the line, or go for a mild lift now?

I have got rear springs on the front and Britpart HD +2 on the rear - but that is mainly to counteract the additional weight of the gas tanks and rear protection system.

For front recovery points I have just fitted two JATE rings

Are you going to off road it, or do you just want it to look that way?

Assuming the former....

You should perhaps lose the front valence before a rock rips it off for you, if you do plan to use it off road.

Fit 205 diamond pattern tires if you like a constant head ache. ( will also help to lift the vehicle a bit)

Forget side steps if you are taking it off road, but perhaps fit some rock sliders to protect the sills and doors from damage.

Fit a steering guard and a diff pan guard

Fit HD track rods or a catcher to the diff nose.

Looks a nice tidy motor.

If you decide to fit a winch give me a shout as I have just gone through the process on mine.

HTH

Here is my old Classic, unfortunately it got rear ended by a lorry on the motorway

in a trffic jam.

med_gallery_21_64_130197.jpg

med_gallery_21_64_249155.jpg

The list of modifications is quite long, but I think it kept it's original

looks as well.

+2" spring lift using LR springs

Procomp shocks

Goodridge brake hoses

Sumo bars with damper relocation

QT diff guards

235.85x16 General Grabber ATII

4.6 V8

St.St. exhaust+ tubular manifolds

First 4 Offroad front bumper

Southdown rear tank guard + recovery adaptor.

Most of the work I did myself, so really enjoyed this car. We had planned to use it to go to

Iceland, but that will be up to the P38 now. :o:huh:

Cheers guys... much appreciate the messages....

i think im gonna start with the suspension and the wheels for now... get the egine running as she should

and then move onto the other stuff...

I do hope to take her off road when i get the chance... but for the time being its all for show...

I got a little one on the way so my spends have been capped somewhat ha

But ill get it all done... Ill put some pics on as i go on....

Do you have any good sources for parts... ie,

QT diff guards

235.85x16 General Grabber ATII

+2" spring lift using LR springs

Procomp shocks

cheers

chris

Do you have any good sources for parts... ie,

QT diff guards

235.85x16 General Grabber ATII A tyre place

+2" spring lift using LR springs check the tech section

Procomp shocks Paddocks

cheers

chris

Have a chat with Alan at Overlandrs on 0151 476 7002.

He will give you some suggestions, as he has had dealings with a few of us over the years who do trials and laning etc.

We don't call him ceefax for nothing!

I am on the Wirral when at home, so you can have a shufti at the mods done to mine so far if you want, but won't be home till after the silly season.

Cheers again Guys.... ill try that guy, sounds local...

I wouldnt mind a gander at your motor sometime if ya dont mind... Im away most of the time anyway mate... work over in N Ireland... but home most weekends

Im sure i will be needing more help as i go on haha...

So no doubt ill be on posting again soon.

Cheers

Chris

post-312-1197902827_thumb.jpg

This is my offering

a 4.2 LSE

+2" OME shocks and springs

2 1/2 " body lift

twin ARB lockers

ARB front bumper

T-Max comp winch (not shore witch comp)

12'50 MTR's

sill bars

wheel arches

sumo steering bars

Bearmach snorkel

I got everything apart from the tyres from Bearmach

Jules

Like the look of your motor, especially the wheel arches.

Might need to get something like that for mine. Are they flexible, or do they crack?

The Grizzlies I run on mine have chewed the arches good style, and that looks a good way to hide it.

Articulation is pretty good on the springs I have.

This was before the re location cones were fitted.

Dscf0285.jpg

This is also what caused the damage to the wings.