diesel heater

hi all...i am looking for some advice of a diesel heater. my 110 is cold inside shall we say :lol: ....i have ordered a muff for the grill so atleast the heater might warm up a little.....

i am considering a diesel type heater in the cab.....what sort of money should i exspect to pay for one ....best place to get one .....?

any advice is most welcome guys ;)

hi all...i am looking for some advice of a diesel heater. my 110 is cold inside shall we say :lol: ....i have ordered a muff for the grill so atleast the heater might warm up a little.....

i am considering a diesel type heater in the cab.....what sort of money should i exspect to pay for one ....best place to get one .....?

any advice is most welcome guys ;)

hi there, before the expense of a heater, you might try to flush out your existing heater matrix or consider installing an uprated matrix? there was a news item in a landie mag just this month.. otherwise there is a diesel version you can install but I believe they are about £700 + fitting... then you have to run them black gold.. In Norway they simply don't let their cars get cold, they have electrical engine heaters .. do Kenlowe do something similar..

Good luck and keep us informed

good thinking bud ;) not thought of that to be honest.... although when running the temp on the guage just ...and i mean just gets up above the c on the meter :angry: ..... so i am hoping that the muff helps a bit.... and then maybe a diesel heater in cab for doing the mac4x4 ... :D

daft question...is it a straight fit? think i have an old 200 tdi disco one here ( i say old.... its new in a box :lol: )

I've taken the fan off my 300tdi - warms up a bit quicker (and quieter) but still not as 'toasty' as my old Disco...but I wouldn't drive anything else :D

My 110 hardtop had a 2.5 TD installed, and had done 110,000 miles when I got it, and was so warm inside with the original heater that you could burn your feet. When I bought it I immediately added an Eberspacher D4W (as I work from the vehicle and often sleep in it) and it worked just fine when parked up and for preheating in winter. Full insulation throughout inside has helped keep the heat in. As the van has aged the original LR heater has become less efficient, and finally spewed coolant gas into the cab - matrix was shot. Fitting a new one was a fiddle but has improved things a great deal. Someone told me that (others might correct me here) some Freelanders had an Eberspacher type heater fitted as standard from the factory but you had you had to buy the control package to make it work? I've driven several VW Transporters that have had them fitted, apparently as standard items. You might be able to track one down s/h through VW scrappers. As heaters go they work really well, but need regular maintenance, and glow-plugs are expensive, but they certainly chuck the heat out. If going down this route budget for a second battery and split charge unit to make sure you can start the van after using it! They use about .25 litre diesel an hour. Try a yacht marina as they use them in boats and often can be found s/h. Agree with the thermostat tips, also to check all the flaps and gubbins, and ensure a good supply of air to the matrix - check for wren's nests in the intake!

I fitted an eberspacher which I picked up on ebay

I also fitted a telephone switch to it which I made from a vellman kit www.vellman-kit.com

or http://www.sayalkits.com/CatalogDetail.asp?link=11Z4 cost about £15 but you'll have to order from Canada or the states as the Britisg govt apparently banned the sale of them, as they thought they were an aid to terrorism??

I can now call the landie prior to getting in and it will switch on the heater. I also have a switch inside the cab to turn it on if the landy heater is a little bit weak.

I have found that you can get a little more heat out of the matrix if you remove the fan during the cold periods

Also the vents that direct the heat towards your feet, ie the one under the dash and steering wheel, if you remove the plastic bits that direct the heat towards your feet you will get much more air flow and heat out of it.

I have noticed on my 300tdi that at cold temperatures when driving in urban conditions I get very little heat out of the heater, but if I floor the landie for 10 secs or so I get a short burst of warmer air. This suggests to me that if one were to increase water flow across the matrix more heate would come out. I am going to look at fitting an electric water pump to see whether this is the case, or fit a smaller cog to the water pump to make the pump spin faster

hope that helps

Ashley