Electrickery - Can be this simple?

Whether or not it works, would it actually help?

A larger machine will be demanding a certain number of amps per phase (on 3 phase), but you'd have to supply that all from your single phase supply if you expect the same output. Never mind using a 'blue' commando plug (16A) - you'll need a lot more than that! For example my 300 amp tig uses the best part of 64 amps running off a single phase.

Hope it helps. Al :)

If it was that easy everyone and their dog would have done this, the manufacturers would've incorporated it into the machinery and almost no-one would buy 3-phase supply from the electric company.

Sorry Rog, it's clearly b*ll*cks.

Al, Fridge - thank you (it was my thoughts - honest!)

The reason behind my desperation: Here at work we have 3 mother of 3 phase migs going spare and one massive lincoln oil cooled arc welder.

Im going to try and sell them on as they are taking space up, obviously they would have more value as single phase.

Rog, pm me a rough price on one of the migs. i have 3 phase here on the farm so im always on the look out. could do with something a bit tastier than my little 105amp mig. oh and the cyntringham bantam oil cooled arc :lol:

As Al points out, you'd still need the mother of all electricity supplies - if it draws 64A from 3 phases it'll probably need 3x that, which pretty much rules out any domestic supply. If it involves re-winding the main transformer (which at a guess it does) then going from 415V to 230V you will double the current and you're then looking at silly things like a 400A supply at 230v, at which point the electric company slap you with a fish and tell you to stop being silly and install 3-phase :rolleyes:

Rog, pm me a rough price on one of the migs. i have 3 phase here on the farm so im always on the look out. could do with something a bit tastier than my little 105amp mig. oh and the cyntringham bantam oil cooled arc :lol:

I shall go into the workshop in a little wile, test them and check they work ok and pm you, want it bringing to the next KORC event? :ph34r:

If you note the text in the advert says it works on any machine which uses a transformer on the input.

All he's doing is separating the three phase coils and applying mains to one of them. It will work on welders and some plant, but not on 3 phase motors - which rules out most lathes and mills.

Snake oil!

Si

It is possible to convert motors from 3ph to 1ph but as Vanny says they loose power. I do, however, look for 3ph machines for my workshop on the basis I have a small stash of big 1ph motors to replace on them thanks to a dad who hoards everything electrical.

I think, generally, if you need that much power then 3ph really makes a difference, if you can afford it.

Guest mortus

it is possible to convert 3phase to single phase, but you loose power... ofcourse.

unless you use the mother of all caps then it could work... just not for very long.

ive got 3phase anyways

its good living on a farm.

can you PM me about a rough price on one of those migs please?

and where abouts are you in newark, your not too far from me i dont think.