Drill Press / Pillar Drill

bishbosh

I am looking to get a drill press, primarily for birdmouthing tube for a roll cage, but I am sure it will drill some holes along the way too. :lol:

So what should I look for? Traditional chuck or tapered? Number of speeds? Power? Not looking to spend a fortune, so that will certainly limit the field, but there are still plenty of options around the £100 mark.

So what is the panel's advice?

If you're using it for bird-mouthing, I presume you are going to use a hole saw?

If so, you need a drill with real slow speeds.

I used to have a Clarke drill press - which went down to pretty low speeds, had a 16mm Morse taper chuck and it was pretty good value. The down side was that I managed to twist the shaft between the drive pulley and chuck (I think whilst using a big hole saw) which left the shaft bent and the end of the drill bit tracing little circles about 5mm in diameter. It was toast! There was no way to remove the shaft that I could see.

I replaced it with a used one made by Meddings from G&M Tools

Although it is a bit fast for hole saws, it has provided sterling service for many years now. They do occasionally come up with a 'back gear' which reduces the quill speed - worth looking out for.

The Meddings only has a 13mm chuck with no taper - but it's not been a big problem.

Si

personaly i'd look out for a secondhand boxford/union, we had one at college that did something silly like 25rpm set up for countersinking, it was a joy to use.

Have a clarke one in the workshop and its naff, belt alllllllways slips and have bent every handle and broken the monkey metal casting they screw wedge into, so now you have to use a nice big screwdriver ;)

Will.

I would avoid cheap new as well. I bought a Clark pillar drill as I needed one for a job and although it is still in use it is rough and inaccurate. I would go for a secondhand one from an established workshop that is closing. It would have been bought because it was good not because it was cheap. I do scour Ebay for such things and have come up with a few bargains. Even a 3ph one would be ok as they usually sell for a little less and a replacement 1ph motor could then be used.