Seat belts in the back

Actual benches, or just the wheel boxes?

If you have benches, seatbelts are not a legal requirement, but they will probably be required by your insurer.

Actually, i dont think they are benches. Its whatever is under the carpet. Not checked yet :)

lr16.jpg

lr17.jpg

There's a huge difference between what the law and your insurers say.

Check with your insurer. that's the third time i've said it. i wouldn't be surprised if it isn't covered, in which case, it'll invalidate your policy quicker than you can say 'check with your insurer'

Oooo look, four times..

Also, you're 'carrying a passenger not in a seat' (or similar), at the moment, i wouldn't be surprised if your insurance doesn't cover that either.

If there is a choice between a child in the back without a belt or in the front with a belt, the child must be seated in the front with the appropriate belt and booster/seat as required. It is also illegal to carry anyone in the back on the road without a fixed seat, whether sideways facing or not. ie it is illegal for your son to sit on the carpeted wheel boxes when used on the road.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Diff

Just remembered, I think the cut off date for forward facing rear seats without belts is March 1985 or 1986. In other words, if you install a forward facing seat in the back, it needs to have a belt. Sideways facing ones don't for your age of vehicle.

Regards,

Diff

The law says children must be sat in a seat with a seatbelt.

Just to clarify for others in a similar situation, the government webiste western mentions (http://www.thinkroadsafety.gov.uk/campaigns/childcarseats/faq08.htm#08D) specifically says:

A child who is required to use child seats/boosters (ie all those under 135 cms in height who are also under 12 years of age) cannot travel in a sideways-facing seat.

So, depends how old/tall your child is!

Mine are well under this, therefore expensive front-facing seats in the back for me :(

Yeah, it's illegal for kids to travel in sideways facing seats. There are some forward facing seats available from exmoor trim for about £130, but these are carp. They fit reasonably well but are quite flimsy and the seatbelt tends to go over the chest rather than the shoulder when putting a child in a booster seat. Thus making it quite unsafe. The better option is the lock and fold from exmoor, but at £1000 a pair, its quite expensive. I'd rather pay the £1000 than risk my kids though!. The other option to consider is that the new Defender has got fold away rear seats. Don't be tempted to rush out and buy any though as the load area floor shape is very different in the station wagon to the hard top. This means that the 07 defender foldaway seats can't even be fitted to the 07 defender hardtop. This may seem hideous, but just take a look under the arches next time you go go your dealers. Anyway, there may be another option, as i have heard that Exmoor trim may be trying to develop a mod kit so that the new style genuine landrover foldaway load area seats from the 07 defender can be fitted in all defenders. This i believe is going to happen next month. Check with them first though. They have got some on their site now under special offers for £500 a pair but these are the ones that won't fit. This is what i am going to do. Still expensive, but safe.

Personally I fitted the expensive lock and folds from Exmoor working on the same theory as Jimmy that it was better to spend the money than risk the kids, also as the seat belts are built in to the seats and not attached to the sides/roof of the Landy it means I can take the roof off without having to worry about the seat belts (still gotta worry about my belt of course!).

The seats themselves are pretty solid - they weigh a ton and seem to be pretty well made with nice chunky feeling folding mechanism. When I get a minute I'll do a proper review of fitting them - which was not as straight-forward as it would first seem!

In summary, nice seats, not sure they're worth £500 a piece, but I guess there was a significant amount of development and testing done on them.