35x12,5x15 for Defender

Dappe

Hi,

I'm planning to put 35x12,5x15 wheels on my 1997 Defender. There is no type approval for this, but is it possible to get a special MOT certificate for this wheels in the UK?

The Norwegian DLVA says that we have to get a special MOT certificate form LR to get this approved. How is this things done in Uk? Is this a country specific thing?

There is no way to get a certificate from the UK that would satisfy the Norwegian Biltilsynet.

It may be possible to get an SVA, but I am not sure as the vehicle would not be on UK plates,

and this may not satisfy the Biltilsynet.

An MOT is simply the same as a PKK and would be of no relevance.

In the UK there is no seperate need for approval of modifications unless the chassis is modified

or 'hybrids' are being built, but then an SVA is required.

The only place I can think of you could turn to is Iceland as they have strict guidelines for modifying

vehicles and need seperate engineers reports etc for the modifications. If this would satisfy Biltilsynet

I do not know.

The only guarantee is to get a letter from LR saying you can do it. Seeing as they have built their

own defenders (with Devon4x4 acting as konsultants) you could try contacting them or Devon4x4.

The only guarantee is to get a letter from LR saying you can do it. Seeing as they have built their

own defenders (with Devon4x4 acting as konsultants) you could try contacting them or Devon4x4.

Can anybody help me with some names or departements with LR to contact?

There is no way to get a certificate from the UK that would satisfy the Norwegian Biltilsynet.

It may be possible to get an SVA, but I am not sure as the vehicle would not be on UK plates,

and this may not satisfy the Biltilsynet.

An MOT is simply the same as a PKK and would be of no relevance.

In the UK there is no seperate need for approval of modifications unless the chassis is modified

or 'hybrids' are being built, but then an SVA is required.

The only place I can think of you could turn to is Iceland as they have strict guidelines for modifying

vehicles and need seperate engineers reports etc for the modifications. If this would satisfy Biltilsynet

I do not know.

Forgot to mention LR's Defenders have 38" tyres fitted. :rolleyes:

i dont think 9.00's were ever attached to factory 90/110's or defenders and maybe not even from special vehicles. they appeared as standard on sas 110's, but i expect they were added by whoever did the conversion rather than by the factory so this doens't really help. ben, isuzurover was looking for a while to find out if any defenders had ever left the factory on 9.00 tyres, but i dont know where his search led. in australia they also have restrictions on what tyres sizes they can use vs. what the factory issued. if 9.00 tyres were issued from the factory, that would feasibly have allowed them to use up to 37" tyres without needing engineered. i'm not fuly conversant with aussie state regs regarding vehicle engineering. it might be worth visiting outerlimits4x4.com to see how they get by.

Hi Dappe,

I could sent you a copy of my log book from when my truck was registerd in germany. I had 315/75 r16 (35x12.5)specially approved by the local TUV on my 110 and it was recorded on teh log book.

Also whenever we couldn't get stuff approved we found a similar Land Rover approval and loaded up Photoshop on the computer, if you get my drift...

JJ

Wouldn't do either of those, your V5 in any form is a legal document & if found to be misappropriated in any way could lead you to a whole heap of problems. as for photoshopping a approval LR's legal people might stamp on you too if they ever found out for misrepresentation of a type approved LR product.

a change to 15 inch wheels would affect the speedo readings & gearing & the wheels are most likely not to be rated for a 110's maximim gross weight, that alone could give you lots of vehicle approval problems in your country.

a change to 15 inch wheels would affect the speedo readings & gearing & the wheels are most likely not to be rated for a 110's maximim gross weight, that alone could give you lots of vehicle approval problems in your country.

Most 15" wheels are white 8 spokes and are more than man enough for a 110.

Most 15" wheels are white 8 spokes and are more than man enough for a 110.

the 16's would be as LR used to fit them to Utility Co vehicles, still worth checking with the wheel makers though.

Wouldn't do either of those, your V5 in any form is a legal document & if found to be misappropriated in any way could lead you to a whole heap of problems. as for photoshopping a approval LR's legal people might stamp on you too if they ever found out for misrepresentation of a type approved LR product.

I never 'shopped' my logbook as thats a bit drastic. It's a bit difficult to explain the way stuff is approved in Germany to an English person (no offence). The manufacturer of the part, the rim in this case, would get that specific size rim with that stud pattern approved for a land-rover if they consider there is enough demand to cover the cost. If you buy such a rim then its all custy, as the hardest part is done, all you need now is to agree with the test engineer (these actually are proper engineers with a university degree) that the tyres you wish to fit, fit easily to the vehicle and the rim is within the tyre manufacturers required rim width.

Borbet does manufacture a nice 15" alloy rim with such certificate for the land rover. They are very rare 2nd hand so. there are some pictures of my 110 in members vehicles with them rims in 16". If you are interested let me know and I enquire if any are available at the moment.

Or if you really want to splash out order some Alcoa forged alloy wheels from America, indestructible.

To return to the photoshop, sometimes the engineers include certain clauses that u can only fit such part in conjunction with such part to have it approved, only to cover their arse in teh case of an accident caused by that. But in real life them clauses just caused you more nightmares so u juz had a quick fiddle...

My logbook over there had 3 added pages for all the mods.

a change to 15 inch wheels would affect the speedo readings & gearing & the wheels are most likely not to be rated for a 110's maximum gross weight, that alone could give you lots of vehicle approval problems in your country.

Your saying wheels, bit unclear as tyre + rim = wheel...

So if i fitted 35 x 12.5 to a 16" rim it wouldn't affect my speedo and gearing? the tyre size affects the gearing not the rim size...

Have you ever had a look what it says after your tyre dimensions...Most like there are the letters LT, which stands for Light Truck, so I think they gonna cope with a little 110 no prob

And if your worried about the strength of the rim, enquire a test certificate which shows all the load ratings etc...

JJ

Not quite the same situation in Norway.

Here you can only deviate your rolling diameter by +/- 5% of what is written in

the V5(equivalent).

So if you want to fit something bigger, youhave to have a document, from manufacturer or independant

test authority (TUV, etc) stating that your vehicle can run the tyre size you wish. The same applies for

suspension lifts, winch mounting, body lifts, etc.

With the deviation in tyre diameter you will also have to get the speedo calibrated and documented

to say it is showng the correct speed.

Not quite the same situation in Norway.

Here you can only deviate your rolling diameter by +/- 5% of what is written in

the V5(equivalent).

So if you want to fit something bigger, youhave to have a document, from manufacturer or independant

test authority (TUV, etc) stating that your vehicle can run the tyre size you wish. The same applies for

suspension lifts, winch mounting, body lifts, etc.

With the deviation in tyre diameter you will also have to get the speedo calibrated and documented

to say it is showng the correct speed.

Do you live in Norway?