Original Equipment/tools

Hi All,

Bought my 1996 300Tdi 90 last year and I've seen various references to a tool roll/kit which would have come with it when it was new but is completely missing, can anyone tell me what was in it - only thing i've worked out so far is wading plugs. Also I assume a jack - what type? I've got a high-lift mounted in the back at the moment, but it's a bit OTT for everyday emergency wheel changes (well, not EVERY day, you know what I mean!).

I'm sure there was a reference somewhere in the handbook to a wheel chock that should have come with it?

If anyone can shed any light it would be much appreciated, also any idea where I can get one - are they still available from the main stealers? A quick google returned loads of unrelated stuff.

Thanks all,

John

Standard tool roll has

pliers

2 x wading plugs

2 x spanner open end 10mm x 13mm & 13mm x 11mm

box spanner for spark plugs

screw driver double end blade & handle

folding wheel nut brace

pressed metal chock

pillar jack & handle

footbase for pillar jack

post-20-1200938935_thumb.jpg

Wheel chocks are actually very cheap to buy from motor-factors or even caravan accessory shops.

With regards to the jack avoid anything that lifts the whole vehicle and go for something that lifts under the axle, saves a lot of time.

A trolly jack is best but many people don't want one cluttering up the the back of the vehicle. A bottle jack is very good as they have the reach while being cheap but the chances are that if it sits in the vehicle for emergancy use only it won't be used from one year to the next and the seals will harden/crack making it useless & dangerous. For 100% reliability you can't really do better than an OE screw-jack, as long as it is oiled and isn't allowed to rust up through lack of use it will never let you down.

The use of a Hi-Lift (or similar) for anything other than recovery is a no-no as they are just too unstable.

I've had that kit with several LR's but interestingly the 2007 didn't come with one.

None of the 07's I've seen have had them; but the last of the Td5's didn't have them either. Stoped sometime in 2006 I think. Down to the vehicles being so much more reliable I guess!!!!

Mark

Thanks chaps, just what I was looking for.

The screw jack doesn't appear to be available anymore...looks like an auto-jumble visit is in order!

My nas is 1995 MY and had a standard hydraulic bottle jack under the drivers seat (left seat) sitting next to the battery. Had it's own bracket and loop of rubber to hold in place, compressor for the lockers sits there now. Should be able to get one at old sod sortout in April for not a lot :lol:

Bought mine aged 18 months and 2500 miles and no tool bag in sight, not even a spark plug spanner :angry: not that V8's need them nowadays y'know :rolleyes:

"The screw jack is slow for starters, the fact you've got to lift the chassis off the axle first makes it even slower.

A bottle jack is much much quicker. "

Lift the chassis? The OE screw jack sits under the axle like a bottle or trolley jack which is why I recomended one in the first place, l think you are referring to the side mounted post jack.

With regards to them taking a long time, the easiest way is to unscrew them by hand until they only just fit under the axle and then wind it up the last few inches using the handle. It may take a minute or so but the action is so light that it is no effort with the long T-bar handle.

I don't carry mine in the vehicle as I prefer to use another type but my OE one lives in the garage and is 100% reliable no-matter how many years it is between use.