V8 in a 90?

Hello

I am going to be sticking a 3.5l V8, Gearbox and transfer box into my 90 due to the fact it doesn't currently have any.

I know that the engine mounts are wrong but what about the gearbox etc?

Also somebody was talking to me about "long shift" or something, saying that with the wrong one I'd end up with the gear stick coming out of the middle seat, whats that all about then?

Thanks

Matt

Defender gearboxes the gearshift is brought forwards by about a foot, RR/Disco ones the gearstick pretty much comes straight out of the top of the gearbox at the back. You can't swap linkages over, the whole back of the gearbox is different. Ask me how I know. <_<

Hi matt,

I fitted a 3.5 V8 with lt85 into my 90 that originally had a 2.5 in it with an lt77.

The gearbox will fit straight up if you use some intuition, i had to use one of the mounts off the old box (Mounting bracket bit attached to gearbox rather than chassis) and once i bolted this on to replace the original V8 box mount, it fitted sweet as a nut.

I left the engine fitted to the gearbox and in a oner, shoehorned it all into place with some help from some burly mates and jacks etc!

The engine mounts had been ground and pried off, leaving a huge space for the engine to be held in place.

Then you can fab some new mounts by fitting the rad and cowling and moving the engine about until the fan is in line with the hole in the cowl.

This will show you the angle and space you need for your new mounts. I (with a little help from my blacksmith mate :ph34r: ) just used a bit of scrap 4" square tube to cut the mounts from.

You can start with a tight fit and ease them in grinding a little off each to ensure a central fit.

Then simply bolt onto engine rubbers and lower until weight is on the mounts.

You can now tack them onto the chassis with a spot weld or two.

Lift the engine again slightly so the rubbers come away (you should get just enough clearance) and weld away.

You can do the above by removing the engine from the box when welding etc but luckily my mate is pretty flexible with a MIG! :P

My only problem is i'm going to end up deaf as i cant help ramming my foot down every time i get the chance! :rolleyes:

Also, as mad as it sounds, i now got a mean old diesel lump to fit as LPG has got too pricey for me now but i'm sure you'll love it once she's in!

Well worth the sweat!

Good luck

P.S,

PM me if you get confused with mounts etc as i might have some spare bits left, or i can always go and see what i did!

Paul

OMG that sounds more complicated than I thought it would be, I was planning on cutting the mounts out of the donor vehicle, trimming them back and recycling them?

Re gearboxes, to recap:

I need one of these -

lt85.JPG

Not one of these that I have -

lt77.JPG

?

Matt

Re gearboxes, to recap:

I need one of these -

Not one of these that I have -

Yes - although the first one appears to be an LT85, a Defender LT77 or R380 would also do the job although I don't think they ever put either of those in a V8 defender. I bought my R380 from Ashcrofts with a V8 bellhousing and Defender rear end. And no, you can't just swap bellhousings although you could use a 4-pot to V8 adapter plate.

Right now I am really confused :huh:

I have a Range Rover Classic 3.5 V8, gearbox and transfer box. What do I need in the way of gearboxes and adapter plates etc to shoehorn that into my 90 with the gearstick in the right place and a reduced chace of destroying the box at the first incline we come to?

Sorry to be so dumb but I have to do this on a budget both in therms of money and time so can't afford to get it wrong.

Matt

I have a Range Rover Classic 3.5 V8, gearbox and transfer box. What do I need in the way of gearboxes and adapter plates etc to shoehorn that into my 90 with the gearstick in the right place and a reduced chace of destroying the box at the first incline we come to?

Engine OK, Gearbox no use (assuming original RR Manual) so easiest would be to change for an LT85 (make sure you get the transfer box lever/linkage as they are quite hard to find for LT85). Not sure which transfer box you have, but if LT230 it will be OK assuming ratio is 1.4 or 1.2 (with standard tyres). IIRC the RR boxes were 1.02 (?) and may be a bit of a struggle with a 3.5 and LT85.

Summary - get as much as you can from the engine back. That top picture of yours (LT85) would be ideal as it has the mounts and transfer box linkage. Then plug on a transfer box and away...!!

P.S. You can muck around with other gearboxes and adaptors, but as you have to change the box anyway, you may as well get the right one for the job.

PPS Not sure what your original vehicle had in it, but check that you have the correct tunnel and floor plates for V8/LT85.

I wouldn't worry about the transfer box ratio, unless you're running big tyres it will pull a 90 along with the 1.222:1 ratio (which is almost all RR & Disco stuff), the early 3-speed autos were 1:1 but they're not so common. If you find one I'm on the lookout for one though ;)