Lt230 speedo drive gear selection

Jon White

Has anyone got any idea how I can calculate which speedo drive gear I need? Anyone written a wizzy spreadsheet etc for it, or know how to calculate it??

I've got 4.75 ring and pinions on 33" tyres. Speedo is a standard series 3 one from a LWB but I cant rememeber off the top of my head how many turns per mile it is, but I can easily look when i get home!

Any help will be duly appreciated!

Cheers

Jon

IIRC the series speedo drive uses a ratio of 2.2:1 and correction for tyre size is done at the speedo head.

For your set up, the effective gearing increase due 33" vs 31" tyres and 4.75 R&P is about 5% (4.7/4.75x33/31) over a standard series diff with 4.7 R&P. This suggests as speedo drive ratio of ~2.1 would be right.

The LT230 in a RRC uses a 23 tooth drive gear (red) as standard. I'd try a 21T (green) drive gear - FRC3311. Alternatively, the 110 uses a 20T (blue) gear - FRC3310.

A bit more info on alternative drive gears can be found here

• Like 1

Thanks Dave - thats easy enough then!

So is the LT230 speedo drive ratio:-

2.0:1 with a 20 tooth

2.1:1 with a 21 tooth

2.2:1 with a 22 tooth

etc

If so that makes it pretty easy to sort out then!

With the series gearbox in it it was always reading 10 -15% low with this set up.

Cheers

Jon

JU,

Yours is 12% different.

By my (admittedly simple) maths you'd need to use either the 20 or 21 tooth pinion, BUT you'll need to swap the speedo head for one from a SWB thats calibrated for 29" tyres.

If I've understood how it all works correctly.............

Jon

How handy! was going to ask the same thing for my 4.75 R&Ps & 35" tyres.

Probably a dumb question as i don't know much about Series LRs but can the series speedo head be stuck in a defender dash and is so is the speedo cable connection compatible?

For the LT230 speedo drive gear i take it more teeth mean a slower reading speedo :unsure:

• 1 month later...

Right, I am now confused of Gosport :unsure: (OK that's not hard)

However I have checked and the Series speedo cable definitely doesn't fit the Defender speedo head, so at least that's definite.

The LT230 speedo drive gear works on the output of the LT230 so the gear ratio of the transfer box is irrelevant, which means some calculations kicking about are incorrect, and also means that (I think) I can't actually get a drive gear & speedo combo off-the-shelf that's low enough for my gearing.

Doing some basic maths, if you take a Defender on small tyres:

3.54:1 Diffs x 29" tyres = 24.3mph / 1000rpm

Then take my gearing:

5.99:1 diffs x 35" tyres = 18.3mph / 1000rpm

Which (I think) means I'm looking to buy an aftermarket speedo that I can calibrate to my gearing. Or a set of 50" tyres :ph34r:

John,

No - I did take account of the fact that the transfer box ratio is irrelevant!

If you use a series speedo they are calibrated different - hence my origional post! There are a number of different series speedos available with different turns per mile listed - they should have written on them what the differences are!

Jon

Guys, remember this thread:

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopi...speedo&st=0

;) just having to do calculations for 101 speedos, some thwack smashed mine and I'm hoping I can use a SWB speedo head as the only thing that is out from my calculations at present is the speedo drive :unsure:

I will shortly try and do the calc and see what comes up J&J

A finger of fudge for the first person who tells me the correct gear for my truck with 35" tyres and 5.99:1 diffs :unsure:

from my calcs, a 35" tyre gives a circumference of appr 109.956"

63360" per mile means the wheel rotates 576.23 rev/mile

with 5.99 diffs the gearbox output shaft rotates 3451 rev/mile

based on a S3 LWB speedo needing 1392.7 rev/mile, this would mean your speedo drive would need to be 2.478:1, therefore with the standard 9T drive gear, a 22.3T driven gear would be needed. So 22T if I've sussed that right :)

JW, I concur with dave with the following calculation:

33 tyres

103.67" circm.

611.155 rev/mile of wheel

2902.986 rev/mile of gearbox o/p shaft

based on LWB speedo, 2.084:1 speedo drive needed, meaning 19T. Therefore an 20T gear out of a RRC 3 speed LT230R will do the job as best as possible, if I got that right........

• 8 years later...

I'm in the midst of a project rebuild.  I've got a 200tdi in a Series 88 that I put an R380 in with an LT230 (1.2 Ratio). I've got 4.11 Differentials in the series axles.  I'd like to use the Series speedometer if at all possible.   Recommendations are welcome on what speedo gear I would need.