Cleaning engine parts

wkw90

I always chuck place the bits into a large bucket of paraffin or parts wash fluid just to get the loose crud off…………..

Final cleaning is done with panel wipe (comes in 5 litre cans) and/or aerosol brake cleaner. Panel wipe is a better degreaser than brake cleaner and in conjunction with a small brush works well. ;) The aerosol is good for those ‘hard to get to’ areas……….

Final drying is done with an airline……………..

:)

Ian

Panel wipe is cheaper then brake cleaer when bought in bulk ............... about £6 per gallon..........

WD40 is fine for short term protection, but i would degrease again before the part is refitted. WD40 is essentially lanolin mixed with white spirit.....

When building your engine use a quality build lube ..............like Clevite bearing guard and Comp Cams cam lube...............

:)

Ian

I did use paint thinners but it kept melting my rubber gloves and fumes / explosion risk not so good. Bought a gallon tin of Hyper Clean, really good stuff, washes off with water and doesn't stink / melt everything in sight but was too pricey at £20 :o on the side it says 'Contains: Kerosene'.

I buy brake cleaner in 5L cans for about £10 and tend to use it on everything as it seems to dissolve anything and doesn't leave a residue.

I'll second that :) Put it in a plant sprayer for high pressure application :D

I did use paint thinners but it kept melting my rubber gloves and fumes / explosion risk not so good. Bought a gallon tin of Hyper Clean, really good stuff, washes off with water and doesn't stink / melt everything in sight but was too pricey at £20 :o on the side it says 'Contains: Kerosene'.

were do you get it :blink:

It rather depends on the finish you want to get - just clean, but still stained, clean to bare metal, or clean enough to paint. With steel/cast iron I clean with petrol, then remove rust/old paint with various wire brushes (angle grinder knotted flat wire brush or cup for large areas of steel, smaller wire brushes in an electric drill for the pokey bits), then rinse with brake cleaner or cellulose thinners before priming/painting.

Cast iron (engine block)-

Steam cleaned and then old paint etc removed with various wire brushes-

med_gallery_2_409_102238.jpg

New core plugs-

med_gallery_2_409_960738.jpg

Other side, and now ready for engine enamel-

med_gallery_2_409_1486193.jpg

Lick of paint and it's as good as new

med_gallery_2_409_629809.jpg

med_gallery_2_409_1289450.jpg

Or if you have 'different' tastes :P

med_gallery_2_315_177549.jpg

Alloy is different in a few ways. It's softer, so you have to be careful how you clean it - especially gasket faces. Not only does it get oily/dirty, but it oxidises as well, which is only another form of rust, but cleaning it takes more care and therefore more time.

Filthy dirty alloy bit-

med_gallery_2_409_573823.jpg

med_gallery_2_409_241739.jpg

med_gallery_2_416_1329307.jpg

med_gallery_2_416_1607282.jpg

I cleaned the parts with petrol, then various brass wire brushes in an electric drill/ by hand to remove dirt and oxidisation, then rinse with brake cleaner or cellulose thinners and paint.

med_gallery_2_416_482699.jpg

med_gallery_2_416_577096.jpg

med_gallery_2_416_970692.jpg

med_gallery_2_416_494779.jpg

med_gallery_2_416_1493448.jpg

med_gallery_2_416_1290644.jpg

med_gallery_2_416_1233044.jpg

Like I said - it depends on what finish you want. If you just clean something, then you are likely to be promoting faster/more corrosion - so a layer of oily muck would have been preferable if you don't intend to go further than a clean-up.

Cleaning/de-greasing/cleaning again/painting, looks like it takes ages, but that's not the case at all.

I used just petrol to clean internal engine parts and a soft wire brush in an electric drill. Bunging any old chemicals on finely machined surfaces is a really bad idea. Carbon deposits - such as you would find on crankshafts etc, will become dry after being rinsed with petrol and is then easier to remove with soft brushes - by hand or in a drill. Carbon particles are very abrasive, so make sure it's all removed.

Les. :)

It rather depends on the finish you want to get - just clean, but still stained, clean to bare metal, or clean enough to paint. With steel/cast iron I clean with petrol, then remove rust/old paint with various wire brushes (angle grinder knotted flat wire brush or cup for large areas of steel, smaller wire brushes in an electric drill for the pokey bits), then rinse with brake cleaner or cellulose thinners before priming/painting.

Cast iron (engine block)-

Steam cleaned and then old paint etc removed with various wire brushes-

med_gallery_2_409_102238.jpg

New core plugs-

med_gallery_2_409_960738.jpg

Other side, and now ready for engine enamel-

med_gallery_2_409_1486193.jpg

Lick of paint and it's as good as new

med_gallery_2_409_629809.jpg

med_gallery_2_409_1289450.jpg

Or if you have 'different' tastes :P

med_gallery_2_315_177549.jpg

Alloy is different in a few ways. It's softer, so you have to be careful how you clean it - especially gasket faces. Not only does it get oily/dirty, but it oxidises as well, which is only another form of rust, but cleaning it takes more care and therefore more time.

Filthy dirty alloy bit-

med_gallery_2_409_573823.jpg

med_gallery_2_409_241739.jpg

med_gallery_2_416_1329307.jpg

med_gallery_2_416_1607282.jpg

I cleaned the parts with petrol, then various brass wire brushes in an electric drill/ by hand to remove dirt and oxidisation, then rinse with brake cleaner or cellulose thinners and paint.

med_gallery_2_416_482699.jpg

med_gallery_2_416_577096.jpg

med_gallery_2_416_970692.jpg

med_gallery_2_416_494779.jpg

med_gallery_2_416_1493448.jpg

med_gallery_2_416_1290644.jpg

med_gallery_2_416_1233044.jpg

Like I said - it depends on what finish you want. If you just clean something, then you are likely to be promoting faster/more corrosion - so a layer of oily muck would have been preferable if you don't intend to go further than a clean-up.

Cleaning/de-greasing/cleaning again/painting, looks like it takes ages, but that's not the case at all.

I used just petrol to clean internal engine parts and a soft wire brush in an electric drill. Bunging any old chemicals on finely machined surfaces is a really bad idea. Carbon deposits - such as you would find on crankshafts etc, will become dry after being rinsed with petrol and is then easier to remove with soft brushes - by hand or in a drill. Carbon particles are very abrasive, so make sure it's all removed.

Les. :)

Your more than welcome to come clean mine :lol: