removing bearing carrier on transfer box

So today, I've been hunting the clunks while taking up drive.

Found that the rear drive members are worn, so new ones are on the way.

Next I decided to look at the splines in the transfer box.

Upon removing the PTO cover, I was confronted with a (splasher?) plate that seemed to be RTV'd in position. A bit of gently prying and it's off and I can see the taper bearing.

When moving the hand brake drum, there seems to be a bit of play in the shaft.

So now I'm looking at the bearing carrier, which is RTV'd or siliconed in position. Any tips on how to remove the carrier? It's quite soft ally and doesn't like being belted with a hammer! :lol:

Cheers,

This bit on the right, under the gasket are 2 countersunk screws take these out, [normal slot heads IIRC] & just prise it off with a wideish flat blade & to remove the gear you'll have to rotate it to disengage the splines as you pull it out of the box.

post-20-1201374329_thumb.jpg

thin blade of a knife from the kitchen or a stanley blade worked in

Thanks guys.

Even though mine is an LT77, there were no countersunk screws, ala R380.

Stanley blade made no impression at all, but a kitchen knife worked a treat. :)

Input gear looks fine, so I guess the oiling plate is going its job. Going to order a cross-drilled input gear anyway.

Thanks guys.

Even though mine is an LT77, there were no countersunk screws, ala R380.

Stanley blade made no impression at all, but a kitchen knife worked a treat. :)

Input gear looks fine, so I guess the oiling plate is going its job. Going to order a cross-drilled input gear anyway.

Should have been, mines the original LT230 that was fitted to the standard fit LT77 main box, the R380 don't make any difference to the transferbox, reckon someone's left the out previously.

Should have been, mines the original LT230 that was fitted to the standard fit LT77 main box, the R380 don't make any difference to the transferbox, reckon someone's left the out previously.

There were no holes for the screws. AFAIK, it's not the original transfer box, so who knows.

Gromit, yours is not the only one.

Mines a 1992 transferbox and has no screws or drilling for them :huh: .

Glad your input gear is OK, mine had eaten the splines on a perfectly good gearbox :( .

You've been busy mate - i'll watch with interest as I'll have to do the same myself.

Good to meet you yesterday.

Steve

You've been busy mate - i'll watch with interest as I'll have to do the same myself.

Good to meet you yesterday.

Steve

Likewise Steve. My sister is busy sawing holes in her truck to fit her new clock :)

Fitting the new gear looks to be straight forward, once I figure out a way of pulling the bearings off the old gear.

New rear drive members should make a big difference, as there's not much left on them at all.

There were no holes for the screws. AFAIK, it's not the original transfer box, so who knows.

My 200tdi Defender has the countersunk screws the same as Ralph's, but I have a spare 200tdi era LT230 that is the same as yours Gromit, no screws, and no holes for the screws. There was obviously some variations in LT230s from time to time. :rolleyes:

must have deleted the countersunk screws & holes on later vehicles, if the 6 bolts won't hold it nothing will.

Well, if they are anything like the screws that hold on the handbrake drum, I'm glad they were deleted. Swines to remove, and not really necessary.