Wading reqs for TD5

SteveG

Anyone know what needs plugging on a TD5 for wading. Also where's a good source for the plugs??

Lastly, I'm assuming it's let hassle but is it also cheaper to go for one of the wading kits for axle breathers etc. Again what needs breathers? Front and rear axles of course, but I've heard of oil pumps etc??

Anyone have a good recommendation for a supplier of a kit,if this is the best route.

Cheers

Steve

it depends hopw deep you want to go.

bonnet level for me would be

1. check wading plugs that are meant to be perm fitted are.

2. Snorkel

3. extended both axles, g and t box breather pipes up snorkel. (use piping from local pet shop for aquariums etc)

4. either waterproof the ecu or move it with an extension cable and then waterproof it. (Dasteck do them as do Scropion i think), lunchboxes with clamp type edges good for waterproofing.

for top of wheel depths

1. Snorkel and go carefully

Post event.

check the oils for contamination.

It depends how long you intend to sit in the water or just drive through it.

may be a good idea to fit the tow ropes before taking the plung as well!

Steve

Once you know the thread size of the holes to be bunged. Give Fluid Air Componants a ring. They are based in Kent but do mail order. They can be got on 01634 297298. They will do all the fittings and pipework you require. No connection other than satisfied customer. Can't spaek highly enough of them.

If you get the throttel potentiometer wet you will have to get home on super slow mode

Oh Dave your are so out of date with 4x4 tech!! ;););););)

Not anymore, it's now a sealed unit, different from early one. You just have the ECU and relays to worry about now. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Cheers

Steve

Edited by SteveG

Anyone know what needs plugging on a TD5 for wading. Also where's a good source for the plugs??

Lastly, I'm assuming it's let hassle but is it also cheaper to go for one of the wading kits for axle breathers etc. Again what needs breathers? Front and rear axles of course, but I've heard of oil pumps etc??

Anyone have a good recommendation for a supplier of a kit,if this is the best route.

Cheers

Steve

I have just removed the gear box from my 2001 td5 90 after 53000mls and a lot of water wading some times over bonnet level, Very dry inside there is a slot at bottom of gear box that was blocked with mud(from day 1 I would think). as for the breathers I have total standard set up but am changing due to them being off and gear box change all oils were OK they (Axle and gear box oils) have been changed a few times but never found water in oil yet.

As for the the potentiometer mine has been under water a few times probably pushed my luck but OK so far, I am in the process of moving ECU and other bits at the moment.

Peter

Well pardon me for thinking you bought an older model - what was I thinking! :lol:

You should know me better Dave- chequebook off-roader me!!! :):P

As for the the potentiometer mine has been under water a few times probably pushed my luck but OK so far, I am in the process of moving ECU and other bits at the moment.

Peter

How are you moving it Peter?? Are you also moving relays too?

Are you going for the Dastekkit? 250 quid seems very steep to me for four connectors and some wire. :blink:

Cheers for all of the info guys

Steve

You should know me better Dave- chequebook off-roader me!!! :):P

How are you moving it Peter?? Are you also moving relays too?

Are you going for the Dastekkit? 250 quid seems very steep to me for four connectors and some wire. :blink:

Cheers for all of the info guys

Steve

I am pulling out all the relevant looms they are quite long and moving it up to the rear bulk head it looks like I should be able to get to about top of seat height on n/s will need to un pick a few wires for connections to gear box etc, but as I am fitting an Auto I need to make a few changes anyway.

Peter

I am pulling out all the relevant looms they are quite long and moving it up to the rear bulk head it looks like I should be able to get to about top of seat height on n/s will need to un pick a few wires for connections to gear box etc, but as I am fitting an Auto I need to make a few changes anyway.

Peter

Steve Nice looking truck !

Re ECU Cables give these people a try they may be able to make something up http://www.cableuniverse.co.uk/

Any idead when the waterproof pedal electrickey came in I've only waded mine till it was over the windscreen wipers :blink: water rushed in through the top dash vents and door seals, footwells were soaked and the back end was floating no ill effects if just carried on

James