NAS lights

JimC, thanks for the pointer.

For UK readers, '837' appears to be a generic term, the full 837 range is specified on this page, together with the appropriate complete part numbers.

http://www.flexible-lamps.co.uk/Catalogue/Products/837.htm

If I read this correctly, the purchaser specifies each lamp as a 'pod', then specifies the 'bezel' appropriate to how he wants to install them on his vehicle. My best guess is that, starting from scratch (ie, without NAS lights installed already) we would specify one 'bezel for single function' for EACH pod.

In one of those ironic twists of fate, the Dun-Bri links Simonb put up in post 20 are for the Perei lights that ECR positively prefer not to supply (read the East Coast Rover link put up by JimC in post 25).

Dun-Bri do stock Rubbolite Products, but not the 837 range. http://preview.tinyurl.com/2ethxt

As a matter of interest to JimC, and other NAS readers, try this snippet, note the date.

"November 30, 2006 Falconer New York : It was announced today that Truck-Lite Co. Inc. of Falconer New York has purchased Flexible Lamps Ltd of Harlow, England. Marketing under the Rubbolite and FL brand names, Flexible Lamps is a major manufacturer of incandescent and LED lighting for the commercial vehicle market. Terms of the acquisition were not disclosed."

The full press release is at http://www.flexible-lamps.co.uk/News/main.htm

So with a bit of luck you might be able to source the lights you want without paying 'import' prices.

Sorry to ECR, but the gravy train has to stop sometime :-))

HTH

David - I tried to run all this down last year when I was trying to get to the bottom of the supply problem. At the time, there were only a couple trailer and truck body manufacturers that sold these products, and then not the 837's. I made several calls and always hit dead ends. And the places I found in UK/Europe only sold to the trades. Since I dont want to be a dealer, I just stopped enquiring. The ECR prices probably arent too bad when you take exchange rate, shipping, and duty into account.

Well i fitted the stepped plinths over the wknd, i choose standard bulb indicators and side lights from the links I posted, but LED stop /tail. All easy fit, the led stop/tail are VVVV bright! Put the brake lights on with no one behind you and the road surface turns red!!! :blink: Both parcels turned up 2 days after ordering btw..

The lamps I got are Peri ones, the chap who sells the plinths does Wipac ones. I had a Wipac one kicking around in the spares box. Peri ones seem to have better quality bulb holders which come with bulbs as well...

Well i fitted the stepped plinths over the wknd, i choose standard bulb indicators and side lights from the links I posted, but LED stop /tail. All easy fit, the led stop/tail are VVVV bright! Put the brake lights on with no one behind you and the road surface turns red!!! :blink: Both parcels turned up 2 days after ordering btw..

The lamps I got are Peri ones, the chap who sells the plinths does Wipac ones. I had a Wipac one kicking around in the spares box. Peri ones seem to have better quality bulb holders which come with bulbs as well...

So did you order the plinths off the ebay shop??

Where did you source the peri lamps from?

sorry about the size playing with my birthday present a nikon d40

If you look in the shooting menu, there's an option to set the image size and quality.

On my D2, setting the size to small and resolution to basic, results in pictures around 400k, which seem grand for the forum.

Also, setting the exposure to spot meter on a focus point, generally results in better pictures of LR parts.

:)

If you look in the shooting menu, there's an option to set the image size and quality.

On my D2, setting the size to small and resolution to basic, results in pictures around 400k, which seem grand for the forum.

Also, setting the exposure to spot meter on a focus point, generally results in better pictures of LR parts.

:)

The problem of course is remembering to set it back, spot metering is ok, but if you take a good shot with small jpeg set, rather than RAW you're stuffed!! I never change the image quality settings from RAW on my D200 for that very reason, after one day when i didnt check and stuffed up!

did you have to cut the wires for the led light or did they just come with plugs fitted

dan

NAS spec lights either Wipac or Peri ones will fit the connectors on 300tdi and Td5 - unplug old, fit new. Older vehicles will need the connector added to the existing loom by "cutting and shutting" the wiring. If you click on the links on post 20 they also give the connector part link. Vehicle Wiring Products also do the connector.

If you fit the led versions you will need to cut off the vehicle connector and join using crimp terminals to the flying leads on the led lamps.

The Peri made units are/were the genuine LR items and are certainly the best quality.

These are the ones I got when I bought mine from my local main dealer (the only place you could get them 8-years ago) and they came in genuine LR parts packaging.

Condensation has always been an issue, some of my lights have never suffered with it in 8-years of use while other did from day one.

Also they can be affected by strong sunlight. Most of ther time my vehicle is parked where it gets the afternoon & evening sun and is subjected to a lot of heat at warmer times of the year. The front lights started to craze after about 6-years so I replaced them with some new units, the rears however which are not subject to the same punishment are in almost as good condition as the day they were fitted.

I fitted NAS lights to the front of my 110 at the weekend using the Bolt-on-Bits plinths. Because they allow the lights to overlap the raised edge of the trim panels, they are slightly further out than with the 'normal' way of installing these things, but I think they look ok.

Fitting them was quite easy (once I'd presuaded the old lights and their very rusty fixings to release their grip). The mounting holes lined up with those of the old lights, although the stepped back was tight up against the raised edge of the trim panels and didn't allow much of a tolerance. They're mounted with some nice stainless M3 button head bolts so hopefully won't be a rusty mess when they have to be removed in the future :)

It's worth noting that they effectively clamp the headlight trim panel in place and would have to be removed for future access to the headlight, although this would be the case with standard lights too. I took the opportunity to replace the trim panels whilst I was at it and the new ones were a different design to the originals in this respect.

The lights themselves work brilliantly and are very bright and clear. As others have noted though, the bulb holders on these Wipac versions are rubbish. Of the four I've fitted, two needed a good degree of fettling to make the contacts stay in place and one caused a short straight away as the contacts had moved and subsequently touched each other when the bulb was inserted. This was a complete pain because a. I didn't know where the correct fuse was on my 'wiring challenged' vehicle :rolleyes: and b. I'd soldered on the appropriate connector so spent ages trying to figure how I'd damaged the wiring before realising that the holder was to blame :angry:

I've included a couple of pics of these stepped plinths alongside the standard ones for comparison. On the whole, I think they're very good although I'll be sticking with the standard ones for the rear. This is partly because I need to replace the corner cappings so cutting the holes isn't a big deal, but also because the stepped plinths move the lights further out than if fitted from scratch and I'm concerned that this will make them vulnerable to knocks, particularly the side lights on the 'barrel roll'.

Anybody want to buy four standard plinths? :)

post-1323-1203955378_thumb.jpg

post-1323-1203955386_thumb.jpg

post-1323-1203955394_thumb.jpg

Hey Guys - Us NAS guys have problems with the NAS lights holding moisture and creating problems. The lights look good, but LR had to come out with a special boot kit to try and seal them up. Even that didnt work well.

The hot set-up over here is to replace the NAS lights with the sealed Rubbolite model 837's - of UK manufacture. They are costly but excellent. There is only one stateside distributor for these lights, but I'm sure you guys could source them easily in the UK for more reasonable prices.

http://www.eastcoastrover.com/LED.html

I have these lights on my 95 NAS, and I love them - they are a direct replacement for the NAS lens, fitting right into the stock plinth.

Having lived with my nas for 11 years the lights although fitted with seals always get plastered in mud by the rear wheels and I had huge stocks of lamps amd holders to replace the rotten items. :angry:

About 4 years ago I had top-hat section aluminium spinnings manufactured which cover the back of the unit and sit on the outer ledge of the plinth, never a problem since.

Oi, you lot get a nas before you get the lamps, fraudsters :P

• 2 weeks later...
anyone tried out the modified NAS lamp plinths from ''bolt on bits'' on their 94 on defender, are they as good as they seem with no mods to bodywork in particular the rear tail lamps

After taking onboard all your comments I have now finished the installation of NAS spec 95mm lights. I opted for Peri units using LED stop/tail, standard yellow indicator unit to rear with reverse lamp units fitted with amber 21w lamps for the front indicators along with white side lamp units, I used the modified RDX plinths for all but the stop/tail units opting for standard plinths here, the standard plinths fitted nicely on my 300Tdi 110 CSW keeping them inboard of the bodywork by drilling out 1 rivet on the body reinforcing angle on both sides to start off mounting, albeit the holes are around 1'' off centre this makes no difference as the LED units have no rear protrusion like the standard lamp units making body modification unneccessary, remember to seal plinth to body to prevent water ingress, one thing to watch is the screws that secure the lamps to the plinths may be too long and need a bit nipped of them. Verdict well pleased with the job tail lamps now 21st century being much brighter as are indicators which must be a positive note albeit not to everybodies taste, total cost of parts for the job around £140 including P+P :P

Your 4wdbits.com converts to http://www.4wdbits.co.nz/ I note the New Zealand location, like yours.

Why do you think this is the same organisation as Bolt On Bits, who show a UK base?

I don't see any NAS lights in 4wdbits, never mind the plinths, which BOB claim as unique to them.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Bolt-On-Bits-0127...6QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Cheers.

Your 4wdbits.com converts to http://www.4wdbits.co.nz/ I note the New Zealand location, like yours.

Why do you think this is the same organisation as Bolt On Bits, who show a UK base?

I don't see any NAS lights in 4wdbits, never mind the plinths, which BOB claim as unique to them.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Bolt-On-Bits-0127...6QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Cheers.

No, it was 4wdbits.com, in the UK, doesnt seem to be working at present, they do all the RDX front grilles and parts for defenders and discos, used to advertise in LRO also.