Clutch diagnosis, novice mechanic, HELP!

SolihullBeast

I apologise in advance if this question has been asked on a regular basis. I am fairly new to land rovers and how to diagnose problems so i would be grateful for any advice..

The Problem: when driving across a field in my 110 I depressed the clutch to chage gear and lowered revs only to find that the car juddered whilst the clutch was depressed as if it were not engaged then it proceeded to stall, after alot of confusion and attempts to get moving the clutch responded in the same way, there was no resistance to the pedal up until the very last push, i have been told by a freind that my clutch has "gone" does the mean the assembly has broken or the hydraulic system is broken? sorry if this question seems stupid like i said im new to mechanics, so please any advice would be great,

After checking for leaks and bleeding the system for air, my next guess would be the master or slave cylinder. It maybe sounds like the clutch didn't fully disengage.

If the clutch is engaging randomly then it might be seals in one of the cylinders breaking up.

The master cylinder is located in the engine bay, on top of the clutch pedal. The slave is located in the bellhousing, on the left side, above the exhaust, if yours is a diesel.

You'll see a flexible hose connected to the slave cylinder. If you clamp (carefully, without damaging it) this hose, the clutch peddle should go solid. If it doesn't it's the master cylinder.

When one cylinder goes, the other usually follows, so they are usually both changed at the same time. Not too expensive and an easy if slightly time consuming job.

I apologise in advance if this question has been asked on a regular basis. I am fairly new to land rovers and how to diagnose problems so i would be grateful for any advice..

The Problem: when driving across a field in my 110 I depressed the clutch to chage gear and lowered revs only to find that the car juddered whilst the clutch was depressed as if it were not engaged then it proceeded to stall, after alot of confusion and attempts to get moving the clutch responded in the same way, there was no resistance to the pedal up until the very last push, i have been told by a freind that my clutch has "gone" does the mean the assembly has broken or the hydraulic system is broken? sorry if this question seems stupid like i said im new to mechanics, so please any advice would be great,

your problem sounds like my clutch did last year.

post-5542-1202889646_thumb.jpg

I may be wrong and maybe something elce

Wot Gromit said - probably just the master or slave cylinder. They're only cheap - 40 quid should see it done, replace both as one will usually follow the other. Should be able to change both in a morning.

If the slave seals have gone, you may not see any evidence externally as it tends to run inside the bellhousing - you may see some fluid coming out of the drain hole instead if you have the drain plug removed.

This may not be relevant (if so sorry and ignore) I have a 4 speed RRC gearbox which decided not to disengage the clutch and had a foot to floor pedal experience.

Upon investigation the Master Cyl is good, the Salve Cyl is good and the pipework is good with no leaks (preasure tested by locking the Slave Cyl Piston movement.

What wasn't good was that the travel needed to disengage the clutch was more than the Slave Cyl could provide. I assume that this is due to clutch wear though it has a new release bearing.

In the end I bodged it until such time as I rebuild it (two Slave Cyl pistons in one Slave Cyl did the trick.

Curerntly all works fine for now.

This is not the best option but as the landy is only a weekend motor it has avoided removing the gearbox or engine again for a while.

Marc.

Thankyou all for your help, upon checking the hydraulic system I noticed the rubber pipe connecting to the slave cylinder has worn away where it touched the chassis causing a leak, and the fact that there was no clutch fluid in the resevoir obviosly means it was a leak, so i presume i need to replace the pipe, then top up the fluid, is there any priming process necessary?