Electric fan

I have just got the viscous fan and cowling off my 200Tdi prior to doing the timing belt and I am awestruck by how much space having it out of the way gives me. I have seen other threads talking about fitting a modeo fan and X-Eng thermo thingy. I want to go that route.

However are all mondeo fans the same?

I presumably need to get something that will cover all three parts of the radiator - facing the windscreen I take it on the right is the intercooler, then the water cooler then at the left the oil cooler.

Am I likely to need to make some sort of bracket structure to hold it or will it sort of fit naturally? I think there is a breaker out by Gorebridge near Edinburgh and thought I might try my luck but would rather know what I should be looking for first.

I am also assuming that I am OK not fitting the fan and cowl back on immediately since it is still sort of winter.

Any thoughts or pointers would be most helpful

Thanks - Malcy

I've fitted a Bosh fan from a Corsa in mine. it fits nicely (but just over the radiator) and goes so fast it almost sucks small children in off the pavement. in the space the cowling was I have my airfilter. I chose to hold the fan in place with bungee cord so it can move a bit. I found when it was held in too tight that the plastic would brake on hard impacts when off road.

You can just see the top of it on the right of the pic.

post-7320-1202858502_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys. The link was really useful.

Guess it is now time to find out where my nearest breaker is and how they work; and see if I can find a suitable fan!

I presume it is worth keeping the old cowl (once I have fixed the bit that broke!) and the fan for just in case.

Best wishes

Malcy

For ages I kept the old viscos fan on board just in case. I've had the fan on for a couple of years now and no problems with reliablility even in extreem conditions (I just remember to put it off (switch on dash) when I go into deep water) and its fine. So I finnaly got rid of the spare fan and fingers crosses I;ve not needed it :-)

When you wire the fan up use a temp switch to switch a relay on and off and also use a three position switch in the cab for "auto", "off" and "manual on" this should be placed close to you in the cockpit so you have plenty of control when you are off road or wading.

If you need some help with the wiring give me shout and i will draw it out for you.

Well, since we are on the subject. The Disco that donated the engine, radiator etc already had an electric fan of unknown origin. It has straight blades and when looking at the pictures, the Mondeo fan has curved.

What practical differences are there between these two blade shapes? Are curved blades generally more effective? Or make less noise?

Well, since we are on the subject. The Disco that donated the engine, radiator etc already had an electric fan of unknown origin. It has straight blades and when looking at the pictures, the Mondeo fan has curved.

What practical differences are there between these two blade shapes? Are curved blades generally more effective? Or make less noise?

http://www.kenlowe.com/fans/specifiers/index.html#no3

Thanks guys. I downloaded the filling instructions from X-Eng and they have a circuit showing switch with on/off/thermostat which seems to be what people are suggesting. They also show including two warning lights - one for overheat and one for fans running - which also sounds a good idea.

Currently got the engine bay looking quite empty for timing belt change and with luck the X-Eng bit will arrive tomorrow so I can fit whilst cooling system all drained. If not will fill with water, pray for fair weather, and then drain down again, fit the unit and load up with anti-freeze.

I will meanwhile get ordering warning lights and relays in preparation for my trip to a breakers yard.

Interestingly I was running today and watching the water temperature like a hawk since no fan in. I am almost certain it ran a tad cooler than usual (I do meen about 0.5mm deflection on the needle from its usual position) but it certainly did not run hotter. Does this imply anything - I feel it should. Drive was about 17 miles of which about 12 effectively on motorway.

Best wishes

Malcy

OK, below is a picture of the present setup. I have no reason to change anything, I will just try to get hold of a more effective fan.

It was like this on the Disco donor, complete with the intercooler. I just lifted it over into my 110. A couple of tabs welded onto the radiator frame at the bottom holds the fan in place. On top there are two more tabs screwed in place with self tappers.

(Tried to include a picture, but: "Sorry, dynamic pages in the tags are not allowed". :blink: )

I fixed mine like that the first time. After some time I noticed that the plastic fan frame was rubbing on the bottom of the radiator and caused a tiny leak in the bottom right hand corner. I then was off roading and a bit of stiff steel wire some how got thrown up into the fan. The fan pulled it round and sliced up the radiator causing me to have to change it. I changed it a couple of days latter.. then was driving down the road and suddenly I heard another horrible noise from the engine bay. I pulled over and it was apparent that the wire had damaged one of the blades and the blade had now failed gouging a huge hole in the brand new radiator. Because the blade was plastic and softer than the metal of the radiator it didnt actuall burst it. It just made a big pretty circle in the middle.

I carried on with it like this (and changed the fan) for a few months but then it was apparent that the radiator was leaking through tiny holes that the fan made. It was only leaking when really hot.

I changed the radiator again and ditermind to learn from my mistakes I put some wire mesh between the fan and the radiator and now everything is good :)

By the way.. Lars. What have you got going on in your engine bay? What engine is that? I like your plumbing for that big intercooler :)

Well, it's a perfectly normal 200Tdi from a Disco. B) It came out of a model called Sunseeker that, AFAIK, only was sold in Germany. The engine can't be the original one since the engine No seems to be too low for the year.

The big intercooler and the radiator move was already done on the Disco, I just cleaned up some of the dodgy turbo hoses. Previously, the longer pipe was attached to the engine, but I thought that it must be better to have a shorter route for the cooled air into the intake manifold. The ali pipe is actually a piece of a center post from a garden clothes drier. ;)

The "Canned Ham" Saginaw servo steering pump is there for my MileMarker winch and came from a US pickup truck.

When I (eventually) get myself a Mondeo fan, I will put on some soft weatherstripping on the edges so I don't harm the radiator. ;):)

Hi all just adding my bit about leccy fans.

On my Disco I fitted a fan from a FIAT van (these have two as standard). The fan cowling slotted straight into the lower lip left by the original cowling, at the top a flat bar was connected between the original cowling mount bolts and all was well.

Themostat in bottom hose does the switch work. Incidently on the Disco there are a couple of lights on the dashbaord that are not used, I now have my fan wired that if it is switched off during wading an orange exclamation mark iluminates on the dash. If the engine gets any hotter another light (red) comes on. This red light on the dash has the image of a thermometer inside what appears to be a cog?

Either way it works great with absolutly no cutting/modding either the fan or the car.

regards

Dave

• 7 months later...

Right, being not very good engines wise, I have a question.

On a 300Tdi, that belt that drives that fan. Is that all it drives? So I can just whip out the fan and the belt and not ahve to put anything else back in before mounting my fan?

I was sure there was a tech thingy somewhere but I'm obviously searching wrong. Cheers