Temp sender issue with disco 200tdi in 90

Hi all, I know there are loads of posts and threads about this but I cant seem to find a straight answer. From what i've read to correct the problem I will need a whole new temp guage and sender. Can anyone give me a difinitive solution as to how they have done it? A link to the correct part would be great :)

Cheers all!

You can if you want a more accurate gauge VDO Vision gauges are good , or just use this idea

Water temp sender for VDO gauge but it should work if you use the correct Defender sender unit PRC8593 or change the lower section of the thermostat housing & screw PRC8593 straight in.

Hi

I'm in the process of sorting the Temp Gauge out too. Problem i've found is most senders are 5/8" UNF (aftermarket & 2.5TD). The Disco sender is a odd size-Thread pitch measures 1mm and Dia approx 16mm, I can't find a Die this size (standard M16 metric fine is 1.5mm pitch).

So............I've drilled the centre of the Disco sender out and soldered a 5/8 UNF Brass fitting to the back. This will enable me to use a standard aftermarket Capillary type Gauge/Sender.

Hope this helps

Mike

Thanks guys, cheers 90 Mellis, those sizes are a help, was thinking i mite do what western suggested and simply buy a 5/8 tap and then drill out the old sender, tap it, and inster the correct 2.5TD temp sender. Dont see why that wouldnt work :mellow: , hopefully it will though, i'll let you know the outcome B)

Looked at that option-Won't work i'm afraid!! 5/8" is 15.875mm and the Standard Disco unit measures approx 16mm, therefore almost the same size. Difficult to explain but basically the senders are the same size in Dia just with different pitch threads!?

You could get a smaller aftermarket sender and Drill/Tap the original but may not be calibrated to the gauge.

Mike

I have no idea regarding the thread size. What I do know however, is that the sender that came with the Turner cylinderhead for my 2,5 NAD also fitted on the Disco engine. The Turner head had the sender further front and in another hole than on the old standard head and there was a brass plug included to blank off the rearmost hole.

Call Turner, maybe you can buy one.

The thread size of the sender is M16x1. A perculiar size, but you will already know that if you are looking for an adapter. One option is to have an engineers make up an adapter, or take your old sender, drill it out and tap it to M10, this is almost identical to a 1/8th NPTF. Then stick one of those in!!!

i just screwed the 90 sender into the disco thermostat housing. the thread is finer on the 90's but by turning it 1/2 forward 1/4 back 1/2 forward 1/4 back till it was in, dosen't leak and seem to work fine.

may not be the right thing to have done but it's worked for me

may have a problem if the sender go's wrong as it may not unscrew.

Tim

• 5 months later...

having just put a 200tdi in mine, i swapped the sender out of the old 2.5na diesal and screwed it straight in on the 200tdi with noty probs.

When the thermostate opens up it reads right in the middle of the guage, no probs at all!!

Hope this muddies the water!!

Neil