One for the V8 guys..

I had been planning to drop my RV8 into my 90, however a friend has dropped a bombshell on me in the form of a VERY powerful small block chevy. To get the same kind of power/torque from the rover would cost £££££!

Now before i buy it i need to know a few things.

I H.A.T.E auto boxes. It absolutely has to use a manual so what box would be best? It also must be nice to use and not a real 'stirrer'.

If anyone has done this, where do the engine and gearbox mounts go in relation to the usual position. This is important to know so that i can inform Richards of where to put them on my new chassis.

Is there any way of doing this without hacking big-time into the bulkhead or floor panels?

It makes sense until you reach the axles - they're going to love all that extra stress, you could find yourself spending a few £££'s or changing a lot of diffs & shafts.

There are kits in the US to bolt the SBC to almost any gearbox that's feasible, so that shouldn't be an issue. However, you need to join it to the LT230 or use a yank transfer case (muchos options but could be spendy). I think Rakeway may be able to help you but you may want to be sitting down when they tell you the price.

Something tells me this cheap engine may not be so cheap by the time it's in and working. :( Although as you rightly poiint out, getting big BHP from the RV8 is also not cheap.

Hi Fridge. I had already planned on using Ashcroft half-shafts, cv's and ARB's anyway so that would take care of the axles i hope.

I would also be using MS/EDIS as well.

As you say its the gearbox/transfer case issue that concerns me a little - what i save on the engine i could spend on this! I take it the SBC would be waaaaay to much for a strengthened R380???

Not sure what your idea of very powerful is, but an LT95 will just about take 450 lb/ft of torque without modification, any more and you will need a well built box and twin plate clutch. A chap called Pete Rowe runs a big block through one, I seem to recall about 550 lb/ft, but he regularly rebuilds it and keeps the tollerences within tight limits.

Not sure on engine mounts as I fitted mine to a Rangie, but if you use a 101 bellhousing it is 4.5 inches shorter. The distributor is a pain as it is at the back of the engine and might foul the bulkhead, but I guess you could bin it and go megasquirt.

One other option is to use a TH350 auto box with full manual valve body, full throttle gear change, engine braking and is much kinder on the axles, but more money and work to fit.

Steve

The engine in question is producing 420HP and about the same torque - to me at least that is v powerful. I may however (if i go ahead with this) change the cam for a little less power and more torque. But then with 420 lb/ft will i need to.....

As previously mentioned i will be running full ms/edis so that takes care of the dizzy and fuelling. Its just dimensions i really need. Thanks for telling me that about the LT95 though - i didnt realise it could take that much!

Steve

The engine in question is producing 420HP and about the same torque - to me at least that is v powerful. I may however (if i go ahead with this) change the cam for a little less power and more torque. But then with 420 lb/ft will i need to.....

As previously mentioned i will be running full ms/edis so that takes care of the dizzy and fuelling. Its just dimensions i really need. Thanks for telling me that about the LT95 though - i didnt realise it could take that much!

I have a LT95 fc gearbox, possibly for sale if your interested?

I've a RRC with a SBC running through a ZF4HP22 (with 4HP24 internals). 330bhp & 420lb.ft doesn't do the box any good, particularly full power 3-4 shifts. For more than that, I'd look at a TH350, TH700R4 or 4L80E. The BW transfer box seems to hold up ok though.

The engine mounts are a couple of inches forward of the normal RR V8 position, with the gearbox in its regular position (standard length props). I'd have to measure up for the exact distance.

The SBC looks right under the RR bonnet. The installation is a lot less cluttered than a 3.9 EFI I was comparing it with.

Steve

420 from an SBC is staring to get into the realms of expensive mods. I guess this one will have had a cam & pistons change, but also significant headwork as well. Has the 420 been varified .............

SBC, BBC, SBB, & BBB ............ all lovely engines, but with a weight penalty..............

Stroked big block chevy is the way to go ................ 1000hp with 1500ft/ibs, and thats before you start tuning it :blink:

Ian

One of the guys over here has a GMC V8 diesel in his 110 (bit of an axle and gearbox eater!). He has probably put more work into the detailing and fabrication for a neat installation than it took to drop the engine in but the result looks superb and is a long way from some bodges you see.

Just getting the engine is is only the start of the fun!

PS, leave our 101 bellhousings out of it, getting hard to find! :angry::P

SBC, BBC, SBB, & BBB ............ all lovely engines, but with a weight penalty..............

The chevy engines all weigh loads more, they are all cast iron blocks and heads (although some maybe alloy heads) The rover v8 is all alli so it all seems to go rather well with a 90 as that is also fairly light. However, I supose that it wouldn't be much different in wieght to a 200 or 300tdi maybe weighing in at a little more. I have seen an ibex with 450bhp rover v8 and that only requied the very slightest touch on the throttle to get all four wheels spinning. So it may weel be that you have all the bhp but if the chassis can't take it or isn't designed for it, then you won't gain full potential of whats actually getting to the ground. i.e you might as well have a mildly tuned rover v8 so the power that it has got is being used fully and put to the ground. But don't let that put you off as that is only my opinion. Although, if all of that power was transfered to the ground your landy would fly! I have been in an ac cobra with a 350 chevy and 350bhp at the flywheel and that whipped along fairly well ;)