Workshop Manual 2007

Mack

Probably without you realising it, what you are asking can be re-phrased as:

Has anyone paid to subscribe to the Land Rover Global Technical Resource, taken the time and trouble to download all the Workshop and Electrical Manuals, plus any Technical Bulletins and Service Recalls, then paid to host a site where I can take them for free, while the site holder hopes Land Rover don't prosecute them for copyright infringement on documentation for current models?

Phrased like that, you see why the answer might be 'No'.

The good news is that you, as a private individual, can take out a subscription, for a fairly short term, and do the intensive download of 'everything' before the subscription expires.

http://www.landrovertechinfo.com/extlrprod/index.jsp

The hosting it all for free, etc, is optional :-)

I run obsolete models, so am not faced with these decisions.

The good news is that you, as a private individual, can take out a subscription, for a fairly short term, and do the intensive download of 'everything' before the subscription expires.

http://www.landrovertechinfo.com/extlrprod/index.jsp

Is there an option of ordering a printed manual, or am I being hopelessly naive??

Is there an option of ordering a printed manual, or am I being hopelessly naive??

No there isn't, and the GTR format is not like RAVE where you could effectively hit "print" and 1300 pages later end up with a workshop manual, because it is all in sections so would probably take you weeks.

David is, as ever, grumpily accurate in his response :P

No there isn't, and the GTR format is not like RAVE where you could effectively hit "print" and 1300 pages later end up with a workshop manual, because it is all in sections so would probably take you weeks.

David is, as ever, grumpily accurate in his response :P

Bizarre, so the dealers don't have a paper manual either... This must become a nightmare in countries where internet infrastructure is not well developed, i.e. the very countries in which people might also think of driving a Defender :blink:

Despite some arrogant answers above I can comment that LR would not issue proper manuals until certain number of cars are sold. I think this happened with some RR model. Just tech bulletins. I was told.

regards

M

Bizarre, so the dealers don't have a paper manual either... This must become a nightmare in countries where internet infrastructure is not well developed, i.e. the very countries in which people might also think of driving a Defender :blink:

He's got a point, assuming that the new model is available in such countries and they're not still buying the more field-maintainable 300Tdi's - do you know gemsbok? (no internet connection snobbery intended - you're obviously connected!).

Maybe there is a nice little earner in you getting friendly with your local LR dealer and selling the paper manuals over here fleabay?!?

He's got a point, assuming that the new model is available in such countries and they're not still buying the more field-maintainable 300Tdi's - do you know gemsbok? (no internet connection snobbery intended - you're obviously connected!).

Maybe there is a nice little earner in you getting friendly with your local LR dealer and selling the paper manuals over here fleabay?!?

The 300Tdis have all stopped now, they were sold here until being discontinued about 18 months ago.

There are no paper manuals for any countries and no plans to make any. And yes it is a PITA in places where there are customers who are in the back end of beyond with stinky dial-up internet connections - like here.

Its not just Landrover, that will not be doing paper manuals etc,

All manufacturers are the same, we have not had Volvo ones for at lease 6 years now, most things ie manuals, repair procedures, software downloads, etc are done via Internet

Fortunately Botswana has good internet connections (in the major towns). Thus for the dealer in Gabs it will not be a problem. However not all the countries in the region are as wealthy as Botswana, and thus quality of infrastructure does vary considerably. Fibre optic cables are not directly available to all countries and this means relying on neighbouring countries at high cost, or satellites, also at high cost.

I appreciate Mack's point that a paper manual might not come out simultaneously with the new model, but given that in parts of Africa many of these vehicles will be owned and operated hundreds of km from a dealer and / or internet connection the lack of a paper manual does seem unfortunate. If you want a new Defender in Southern Africa at least, it will be a TDCi, and as vehicles hold there value well here I thought the difference between an out of warranty TD5 and a new TDCi worth paying. As far as I understand in other African markets, older models are still available new.

Gemsbok, some interesting and useful points from outside the usual UK centric view.

As a matter of interest, in the circumstances you describe and experience, what is the viability of manuals on a CD, and therefore needing some sort of player to access? Or manuals on a small storage device, such as a PDA?

My view of the UK is that while UK enthusiasts, such as the bulk of the people on this forum, will accept packing a laptop or PDA as almost common, the average UK LR user would object to such an expensive and technical answer. Of course, they are much closer to viable external support, so self reliance is not such an issue.

Cheers.

Gemsbok, some interesting and useful points from outside the usual UK centric view.

As a matter of interest, in the circumstances you describe and experience, what is the viability of manuals on a CD, and therefore needing some sort of player to access? Or manuals on a small storage device, such as a PDA?

To be fair, almost anyone who is going to buy a new TDCi is almost certain to possess a computer, most likely a laptop, wherever they are based and may frequently travel with it so a CD for "home" use would be a good step in the right direction. Taking a laptop into the bush however is another story (I like to imagine that the laptop would be broken before the vehicle <_< )! PDAs might be a solution for a serious operator running a fleet of vehicles in remote areas, but probably not for the average owner.

You sound like a geologist

To be fair, almost anyone who is going to buy a new TDCi is almost certain to possess a computer, most likely a laptop, wherever they are based and may frequently travel with it so a CD for "home" use would be a good step in the right direction. Taking a laptop into the bush however is another story (I like to imagine that the laptop would be broken before the vehicle <_< )! PDAs might be a solution for a serious operator running a fleet of vehicles in remote areas, but probably not for the average owner.

Could have been - but ended up following a more agricultural path, in the field of animal health and production...

I suppose I was thinking of safari lodges and tour companies that might run a fleet. The govt here uses a lot of Defenders too. I fear that most of the geologists have opted for the main competitor.

You sound like a geologist

• 2 weeks later...