1983 Defender 90 conversion to v8

max-ie

Hi everyone, I have a fully original 1983 defender 2.25 petrol with five speed gearbox. I want to convert it to a V8 and have the chance of a good 3.9 EFI engine for £100.00. I have a basic/good knowledge of mechanics and can tackle most jobs myself but i could do with some instructions regarding mateing the engine to the gearbox and positioning the engine mountings. Will the LT77 gearbox be strong enough for the V8. I don't want to spoil a good original motor but could do with a bit of extra power and love the sound of the V8. I've already got a 2 inch lift kit on it and all the steering guards and rock sliders. She's a lovely motor and i've just spent the last month re plating some carp welding someone had previously done on the rear chassis rails so things are looking good. Just at the waxoil stage and then put her back together. Can't wait to get her back on the road.

I would appreciate your views and advice

I was wondering why no replies had been received so did some digging, you all probably think i'm a d"£ck as i've found out defenders weren't created till 1990. Mines a 90. She is 1985(typo). I'm just learning and could do with some help.

The LT77 was fitted to V8's in 90/110, so finding the right parts shouldn't be to much of a problem, get the engine/ gearbox sorted first then sort the engine mounts, you might have to remove the chassis part of the existing mounts, then temp fit the engine/gearbox & sortout the positions for the V8 mounts.

Not meaning to hi-jack your thread but i'm doing this conversion to my 1980's 90 too!

Am currently in the process of trying to get a good engine- every one i have bought so far seems to have scoring on the frontmost cylinders of each bank!

:(

I'll get a good one eventually...

You can't fit a V8 direct to a 4 cylinder LT77, the bell housings are different. You either need a 90/110 V8 LT85, LT77 or R380 gearbox (Disco or RR box is no good) or an adaptor plate. Try Conversion and Precision or Steve Parker for adaptors.

you need one of these LT77 bell housings to connect a V8 to a LT77.

gearbox serial number prefix 60A or 61A gearbox -- bell housing FRC6154

The engine i had in mind didn't have any indication as to what cc it was and i was told it was a 3.9 efi. Iv'e had alook at the engine number on the v8.com website and that tells me its from a van. I was told it was ex-police so might give it a miss as its bound to be buggered. Just cleaning the axle to re paint prior to refitting. Chassis now patched (90% of rear legs). needs a new one really but can't afford. :(

You want a nice Tdi in the front max-ie, it'll bolt straight on to the front of your LT77 and will give better performance and economy than your current engine.

As for the repairs, it never stops :) but they certainly keep me away from the loose women and drugs :D

Mo

:wub: I was involved in the restoration of a lightweight on a rr chassis some years ago. We re shelled a V8 and i fell in love with the finished product. It was awsome. Made your guts rumble when you pressed the pedal. I wanted my own ever since. Call me sad but can't help it. I'm not too bothered about economy as i thought that it wouldn't get much less than the current 18mpg i'm getting now. I figured more power pulling the same weight wouldn't involve too much pedal. I know better sounding engine means louder volume and less economy.