Gwyn Lewis Challenge suspension

I use it also but changed a couple of bits, went for D44 springs and QT revers location cones on the rear, I think the road handling is a bit soft but don't know if this is due to the Rough County shocks or the angle in which they now sit, I will try the OME ones next time, to see if there is any difference.

Off Road its the nuts.

Chalky.jpg

100_3544.jpg

Still more to go :o

Sorry about the pics, was done on my poxy phone

I run the challenge kit on my Disco daily driver (with Rough Country shocks) and find it fine. I actually prefer the softer ride and don't find the handling to be compromised. Works very well. I got mine from LLama 4x4.

lakes5.jpg

Still had a fair bit of travel to go. :P .

Pete.

hi any one useing this set up how well dose it work has it got good travel and road handling

It's simple, well engineered and performs really well. Add the fact that it's galvanised and priced very well and I wouls say it's the best shock mount set up to buy. I went for X-Eng springs on the rear for that bit of extra articulation and traction on the rear. I don't have much of a lift on mine and so the Gwyn's rear retainers would actually hinder articulation with my shorter springs.

I think the road handling is a bit soft but don't know if this is due to the Rough County shocks or the angle in which they now sit

So is the soft damping only on the rear? Remember that the front shock is exactly the same angle as before. I know for a fact that the extra pitch and dive and bouncy ride on on my swb 90 is down to the shocks not any angle change of the rear shock mount. If you don't do too many road miles and/or have a longer wheelbase like 110/RR or Disco I suspect the ride on the Rough Country's would be fine. But for me where the 90 has to do two roles of on-road and off the damping is too soft for me especially on B-roads where it spends most of it's time.

I plan to fit some of the OME dampers in the next week so I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks

Steve

Hi. I can only re-itterate the above. I am not using his recommended springs, I am using softer D44 springs (I think D44F all round) as there is virtually no weight in the back.

Articulation is very good, so much so that I need to modify the rear arches to get the 35" tyres in on full articulation.

I have also drilled the bushes in the front radius arms.

On the road, hum its not great but I put that down to Simex + Soft springs + drilled bushes. Its certainly not the OME bits.

Its very robust granted its not as pretty as Devon 4x4 stuff, but this is solid and very functional.

Gwyn is also a very decent chap, who will always help out, and wont sell you anything that is carp!

post-3628-1204565020_thumb.jpg

post-3628-1204565155_thumb.jpg

It's simple, well engineered and performs really well. Add the fact that it's galvanised and priced very well and I wouls say it's the best shock mount set up to buy. I went for X-Eng springs on the rear for that bit of extra articulation and traction on the rear. I don't have much of a lift on mine and so the Gwyn's rear retainers would actually hinder articulation with my shorter springs.

So is the soft damping only on the rear? Remember that the front shock is exactly the same angle as before. I know for a fact that the extra pitch and dive and bouncy ride on on my swb 90 is down to the shocks not any angle change of the rear shock mount. If you don't do too many road miles and/or have a longer wheelbase like 110/RR or Disco I suspect the ride on the Rough Country's would be fine. But for me where the 90 has to do two roles of on-road and off the damping is too soft for me especially on B-roads where it spends most of it's time.

I plan to fit some of the OME dampers in the next week so I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks

Steve

Hard to say Steve as I changed my Springs and Shocks at the same time, and I moved from some HD OME springs that were over rated for the weight of the truck.

Rich you should have D44F on the front and D44R on the rear, don't know how they work their codes out :P

here is mine, im running gwyn lewis shock mounts with rough country shocks supplied by david at lamma 4x4 (im v impressed with these) ive also got drilled bushes at the front which makes quite a difference and im running rose jointed rear arms and a qt a-frame rose joint, im not actually sure what the springs are but they are quite stiff (and orange :ph34r: ) and i will be changing for softer ones at some point soon oh and i have x-springs fitted on the rear as i prefer this idea than dislocating springs, im really impressed with this set up and i get a good amount of flex in my opinion, (just so you can see things in perspective they are 32 inch tyres) although im only using his shock mounts i agree with most of the comments above about gwyn lewis suspension may not look the prettiest but it works and it works well, as for road holding it handles ok on the road considering but as far as i can see you will always have a compromise, if you want good articulation you need softer suspension so you will loose some of the on road handling, just my opinion :)

post-7096-1204578752_thumb.jpgpost-7096-1204578932_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

I must agree with the above.

I felt very comfortable dealing with Gwyn, and the kit has really proved it's worth both on and off the road.

On the road it's really stable even with my 60 kg roof tent on. Haven't gone offroad with the tent yet.

I have the OME springs and shocks supplied with the full kit and I'm very very satisfied.

Hi. I can only re-itterate the above. I am not using his recommended springs, I am using softer D44 springs (I think D44F all round) as there is virtually no weight in the back.

Articulation is very good, so much so that I need to modify the rear arches to get the 35" tyres in on full articulation.

I have also drilled the bushes in the front radius arms.

On the road, hum its not great but I put that down to Simex + Soft springs + drilled bushes. Its certainly not the OME bits.

Its very robust granted its not as pretty as Devon 4x4 stuff, but this is solid and very functional.

Gwyn is also a very decent chap, who will always help out, and wont sell you anything that is carp!

How do you find devon 4x4s springs? too soft/too hard/just right? they dont give much info about them on their website(proberly for obvious reasons)

Cheers

Dave.

How do you find devon 4x4s springs? too soft/too hard/just right? they dont give much info about them on their website(proberly for obvious reasons)

Cheers

Dave.

For me they are just right, but then it doesnt get used on the road much. I ended up with these after speaking with Mr Buck, and the fact that there is no weight in the rear. Likewise I have no idea on poundage. Its now a rag-top truckcab with full cage, and its still fine.

Hope this helps.

Rich.

Cheers

Dave.

In my period of trying seemingly every suspension set-up imaginable on a Defender, I also had some D44 Challenge springs. They are a good setting, giving a good compromise between being supple for off road and firm enough for on road.

In comparing them to other springs I'd say they are in the 180-190 lbs/" range. I'm sure if you phoned Devon 4x4 they'd be happy to tell you what you need to know. Although good, I decided that I didn't need the 2" lift and all the issues that go with it and sold them on.

Cheers

Steve

In my period of trying seemingly every suspension set-up imaginable on a Defender, I also had some D44 Challenge springs. They are a good setting, giving a good compromise between being supple for off road and firm enough for on road.

In comparing them to other springs I'd say they are in the 180-190 lbs/" range. I'm sure if you phoned Devon 4x4 they'd be happy to tell you what you need to know. Although good, I decided that I didn't need the 2" lift and all the issues that go with it and sold them on.

Cheers

Steve

Im not really after a 2" lift, well i have a 2" lift on the back but the fronts have sagged after having the winch ect. on the front for the last year (springs are britpart) so they seem to be at about an inch now which i think is much better. Im on 34" tyres now and want to bring the center of gravity down a little.

It looks like devon do a 1" version now which maybe Ideal http://www.devon4x4.com/products_a/p2131c139/0/d44fb-coil-spring.html

Dave.

The springs im using are LR NRC9448 and NRC9449 Defender 110HD spec in conjuntion with Gywns set-up. With an 8274 upfront and a rear winch this set-up works well for me. Ride hieght from standard was a little under an inch difference on my 90". True 33's are perfectly o.k with this set-up, and 34's, would not be a problem either. (Looking at running the Insa 285's soon)

This link shows what LR has on offer, you could get a 1" lift possibly cheaper this way. http://members.shaw.ca/jbarge/springinfo.html

I ran BritpartHD springs before that and they were very unforgiving in comparative to the LR ones.

Hope that helps,

Mark

Ive got the spring table saved in my favrorites already :D I need to pop down the weighbridge really but been as im doing a fairly drastic makeover end of next month after my tax runs out im going to hang on, ive got a feeling that the weight may well get moved about quite alot.

My springs currently the rears are very unforgiving but dont seem to flex too bad and the fronts are constantly hitting the bumpstops they were on the vehicle when i bought it a few years back so im not sure if they are defo britpart but they were yellow so its my best guess.

Dave.