Can't beleive I got away with it

:rolleyes:

Well finally got round to investigate the blowing exhaust on the Subaru yesterday. Found that the centre pipe had corroded 3/4 of the way around where attached to a stone-guard. Unfortunately I am clean out of bits of repair pipe and the MIG welder is down with no gas at the mo... Hmmm what to do.

Found that roll cage tube had the same internal diameter so cut out a 3 inch section of rusty pipe and went for a butt weld using all I had for metal gluing purposes (Stick welder on 90 amps and 3.2 mm rods :blink: ). I thought I might as well have a go as I had nothing to lose. Bear in mind this is the original centre pipe so is now 15 years old! Well it worked perfectly. I just couldn't believe it. Kept the heat on the thicker stuff and it just ran in to the thin pipe and formed what looked to be a tidy weld (I really am no expert). Not a single hole was blown in it. Repeat on other side and all bolted back on and good now for another 15 years :P :P

Sorry, as I say I was chuffed. :P

:rolleyes:

Well finally got round to investigate the blowing exhaust on the Subaru yesterday. Found that the centre pipe had corroded 3/4 of the way around where attached to a stone-guard. Unfortunately I am clean out of bits of repair pipe and the MIG welder is down with no gas at the mo... Hmmm what to do.

Found that roll cage tube had the same internal diameter so cut out a 3 inch section of rusty pipe and went for a butt weld using all I had for metal gluing purposes (Stick welder on 90 amps and 3.2 mm rods :blink: ). I thought I might as well have a go as I had nothing to lose. Bear in mind this is the original centre pipe so is now 15 years old! Well it worked perfectly. I just couldn't believe it. Kept the heat on the thicker stuff and it just ran in to the thin pipe and formed what looked to be a tidy weld (I really am no expert). Not a single hole was blown in it. Repeat on other side and all bolted back on and good now for another 15 years :P :P

Sorry, as I say I was chuffed. :P

Sortd then don't ya just love it when all goes to plan. :P

Well done. You can tell when the rusty pipe gets too hot as it starts to fizz just before it retreats faster then you can keep up with the welder.

I remember the days when I used to carry a couple of jubilee clips and a coke can for temporary exhaust pipe repairs.

Amazing what one can fix with coke cans. I remember back in sixth form one of my mates had a Fiesta Supersport but was moaning about its performance. I had a look and found that 2 of the HT leads were barely attached at the plug end and one had no physical contact at all!. I looked around and found a coke can in the gutter and used it to make new plug terminals which I pressed into the HT leads to make a tight fit. He took it for a drive and remarked it had never gone so well since he bought it!

I used to turn coke cans into lanterns at parties. Using a Leatherman blade I would make long cuts in the side of the can from top to bottom about 10mm apart. Squash the can down a bit and insert a tea light. I would make them secretly and dot them around without anyone noticing.

Lanterns out of coke cans at parties is cool, it gets my vote :) I'll go stand in the nerd corner with night train :P

One time on a touring trip to France on our scooters, a member of our party holed the engine casing on his Vespa Rally 200 on a protruding lump of steel on the exit ramp of the ferry.

He repaired it with Araldite and a McDonalds aluminium foil ashtray :) It lasted for the full 2 weeks holiday and got him home :)

Lanterns out of coke cans at parties is cool, it gets my vote :) I'll go stand in the nerd corner with night train :P

It shows imagination and creativity, some girlies like that. I usually stand in the corner with them, sometimes I whittle wooden pendents out of firewood for them while discussing cosmology too.