a NON landrover

david1701

I drive a series three about, but i'm looking at driving to uni next year and its 50 miles each way so 100 miles a day.

I love my landy but i need something smaller and cheaper, does anyone have any ideas? I was thinking diesel cos i know a place where i can get cheap (and good) biodeisel in exeter.

Please don't shun me

David

Ps i'm not sure if this is allowed on the forum, or if this is the right place, so if any mods want it taken down i will straight away

As a non LR cheep and cheerful diesel I reckon you can't beat a Skoda Felicia 1.9 NAD.

Up till 6 months I was running one lent to me by my dad (thanks dad). They are nippy efficient and pretty robust.

I just happen to know where there is one for sale too. :ph34r:

Andy

Which uni are you going to? If it's in any way an option (even if it costs you loads) I'd say move to where uni is - people I know who lived at home and commuted missed out on so much and living with your mates is one of the best things about the whole uni experience!

Richard

PS. If you HAVE to commute then I'd recommend Rovers (200's, 400's etc), I've only had petrol ones but they're not bad cars, they just look a bit 'grandad'!

old small french diesels do mega economy- 60mpg-ish

NOOOOO :angry:

Sorry pet hate of mine, so might not be very rational, but I've had 2 French cars and I will never touch another one with a barge pole ever again. Both gave no end of trouble and were expensive and a PITA to fix.

My cheap-to-run LR-replacement while it was off the road, has been sitting with my local mechanic for about 6 months and won't run.

I'm with Darth, move up to uni with your series and you'll be the coolest stoodent there B)

I picked up a cheap Vauxhall Astra as a run around. It's reliable, cheap to buy as there are loads out there and even though it's petrol I average 42mpg. Diesels do about 50-55. So they are quite economical too and most models after 99 have aircon etc.. Vauxhall Astras are thought by many as the second choice after a Ford Focus so they are cheaper for the same spec/age.