Selectable 4x4/2x4 Conversion for Defender/Discovery

A while ago I was reading about the selectable 4x4 conversion that you can fit to the permanent 4x4 set-up on Defenders and Discoverys. I can't find the link to the page I was reading, but I seem to remember that it comprised a simple metal plate (or similar) for the transfer box and a pair of free-wheeling hubs.

Is this conversion worth considering for a car that spends a lot of time on the road? Would anyone happen to know the difference it makes in the fuel consumption when going from permanent 4x4 to rear wheel drive for road use?

Also I can't remember how it works with regard to the transfer box selector. Do you get high and low range 4x4 in the standard fore-and-aft position, then high and low range 2x4 in the differential-locked fore-and-aft position? 2x4 in low range doesn't make much sense to me, but I can't visualize how it would work any other way.

Thanks

Mike

:)

A while ago I was reading about the selectable 4x4 conversion that you can fit to the permanent 4x4 set-up on Defenders and Discoverys. I can't find the link to the page I was reading, but I seem to remember that it comprised a simple metal plate (or similar) for the transfer box and a pair of free-wheeling hubs.

Is this conversion worth considering for a car that spends a lot of time on the road? Would anyone happen to know the difference it makes in the fuel consumption when going from permanent 4x4 to rear wheel drive for road use?

Also I can't remember how it works with regard to the transfer box selector. Do you get high and low range 4x4 in the standard fore-and-aft position, then high and low range 2x4 in the differential-locked fore-and-aft position? 2x4 in low range doesn't make much sense to me, but I can't visualize how it would work any other way.

Thanks

Mike

see mr fridgefreezer

Forget it LR sold so few they dropped the option over 20 years ago, both vehicles were deisgned to have all 4 wheels driving all the time, gives much safer road handling in poor weather & on poor surfaces, you'll still be hualing the non moving parts around so may as well have them working.

Thanks for the replies :)

I presumed that it would be the same situation as having a Series Land Rover with regard to the on-road performace. I think that the fact that I've never come across one of these conversions is testament to their usefulness! :lol:

Did the official Land Rover option cause any wear or safety issues? I'm surprised to read that there appear to be such issues with an official option.

Thanks

Mike

From a fuel economy point of view, as useless as you'd expect, just like free wheeling hubs really. The lubrication issue only presents itself if you are sad enough to actually fit the free-wheeling hubs.

The use for them these days is if you put an LT230 into a Series and want to retain the RWD, either because you've got UJ's in the front axle or just because that's how Series should be, or because you enjoy powerslides :ph34r: in that respect they're great :P

The way they function is instead of permanent "open" 4x4 you have RWD only, then you engage difflock as usual to drive all four wheels. You're doing away with the centre diff.

Having a part time 4x4 system in my Ranger I have to say I hate it and would much rather have permanent 4x4. The only positive feature of the system is being able to take off in a shower of gravel or screech of tyres if you are in a bad mood :lol: