Which size tyres???

Strega

Hi guys, am looking into which size wheel/tyre combo would be best for my 2 door RRC. I would prefer not to have to cut the arches or put flares on but will be lifting it about 2". At the moment it is running 15" wheels with 235/70r15 tyres which will look a bit daft when it is lifted!!

Any thoughts and or piccies of yours would be greatly appreciated as I have not got a clue!!

With 235 x 85 you shouldn't have any problem at the front but with RR alloys you will have the turning circle of an oil tanker!

At the back it will depend on the actual make of tyre you end up with as some are bigger than others int the same size - especially remoulds which are typically bigger.

You may find you need to fold over the lip of the rear wheel arch - not the door - from about 2 o'clock down to the sill. (looking side on at the off side of a RHD vehicle) I didn't originally and it made mincemeat of my nice new chunky remoulds! :(

When you say RR alloys, do you mean the 3 spoke type? Are there many differnces in offset among the different Defender/Disco/RR wheels available?

I basically want as big and fat a setup as can be allowed within the LAW if you know what I mean!!

When you say RR alloys, do you mean the 3 spoke type? Are there many differnces in offset among the different Defender/Disco/RR wheels available?

I basically want as big and fat a setup as can be allowed within the LAW if you know what I mean!!

Hi there - I did run 235/85x16 mud terrain Wildcats on 7"Mach 5 wheels and no problem with clearance on a 2" lift (4 door). Looks better now with Devon 4x4 arches/ Mach 5 / 265x75x16 Muddy Claws

cheers

Baden

So if I wanted a 265/75r16 I would have to fit arch extensions? Or is that specific to the Mach 5 offset?

This is such a mine field!!! Need more piccies!!!!

Due to the diameter of the tyre it was catching the lower edges of the front wings on cornering, you could trim the arches but would'nt look that tidy. Also the tread was just visible outside the front arches - rear no probs at all. I just decided to go the whole hog and fit arches ( front ones easy rear on a 4 door err NOT!) I have fitted 30mm spacers on mine and the rubber is just nicely inside the arch.

cheers

Baden

post-5388-1205408601_thumb.jpg

]hi all i have a 93 RRC 3.9 vogue EFIi with LPG kit i have not done much to her yet but lots on the way. i have fitted some 265/80/16 colway MTs on had to get the stearing stopper ajusted to stop them rubbing so lost some stearing lock they look good and have gained some extra ground clearance. they were part warn when i fitted them so am looking at replaceing them at some point what is the best reasonably priced tyres to get have been told that Insa turbo special track are good is there anything any better than these also is it better to have wide or thin for off roading ie 265 or 205 what are the pros and cons dont care about road use noise etc does get used to do shoppng and stuff sometimes but want to make it the best off roader possable

regards simon

Standard alloy and steel wheels for RRC/disco 1/defender are all 33mm positive off set (measured from centre line of rim to the face of the hub). I have 11mm positve offset modulars (ie each side sticks out 22mm further) with 7.50-16 SATs (similar size to a 235/85R16) which just catch the standard arches on full articulation. This is with about 3" of lift between the tyres and the arches, however because I used the relativerly soft red/white stripe springs the wheels still travels just as far up into the arch as standard, unlike many land rovers fittted with "heavy duty" lift springs, which are more effective at limiting upwards travel if thats what your after.

DSCF0117s.jpg

This was with a relativerly flexible 3" lift (1.5" springs and 1.5" body) and rear wheel raised up into the arch as much it did on standard suspension (below). This is also partly due to the much monger travel suspension which leavers the wheel further up into the arch.

PICT0121s.jpg

I would advise fitting 32" diameter (eg. 235/85R16 or 265/75R16) tyres if you can for off roading as most of the ruts tend to get made by 90's running with this size of tyre. Any smaller and you will end up get stuck in their ruts.

My rangey will probably never see any dirt so this is all just for looks. I am leaning towards silver 16" modulars but am concerned that a 265 tyre will stick out the arch too much and will cause a problem come MOT time.

I definately don't want to fit arch flares at this time and don't want to waste a load of money trying different combos so all your collective input is most useful.

From what you said Chris it sounds like my best bet will be 235/85r16's.

Just put (last night) Modulars with 235/85 BFG MT's on my 4-door, needed to trim the front bumper end caps, and the front wing behind them, and fold over the lip on the rear wheelarch(lump hammer and a piece of wood).

I'm sure I will need to trim the rear of the front wheel arch for when on full articulation, however I haven't got there yet, as I wasn't finished until 11pm last night!

I would advise fitting 32" diameter (eg. 235/85R16 or 265/75R16) tyres if you can for off roading as most of the ruts tend to get made by 90's running with this size of tyre. Any smaller and you will end up get stuck in their ruts.

Never a truer word spoken. :i-m_so_happy:

Just put (last night) Modulars with 235/85 BFG MT's on my 4-door, needed to trim the front bumper end caps, and the front wing behind them, and fold over the lip on the rear wheelarch(lump hammer and a piece of wood).

I'm sure I will need to trim the rear of the front wheel arch for when on full articulation, however I haven't got there yet, as I wasn't finished until 11pm last night!

Have you got a suspension or body lift or is that stock ride height? Do they stick out of the arches at all?

That was stock, started the 2" lift today, got the rear done so far......

BUT..... even with the lift on my old Rangie the front arches needed trimming, as by lifting you dont limit upward travel, which is when it hits....

235/85x16 Colway MT's on Shed - 2" lift:

shed1.jpg

Only mods to rear were to fold up the lip all the way round, inc the door (and remove the extra seal from it)

Front arches folded too and they touch at max compression at the back sector where the body strip comes through (or did!)

• 4 weeks later...

hi mate i have a next to new set of steel modulars on next to new tyres cant remember the size very chunky mud pluggers tho might be interested in a trade for some tyres as i wana keep my 3 spokes

03022008176kf3.th.jpg