Oh oh oh oh - Serpentine

Shackleton

What makes a serpentine belt squeal?

Banjo playing yokel on a veranda? (Diesel Jim?)

I thought it was a bad bearing on a pulley but I've had them all off and the races are running smooth and I greased the hell out of the shafts for good measure. Then I realised it's the belt on the tensioner pulley, it seems to be running unevenly on the pulley, kinda going in and out slightly if you get me.

I put a little dab of 3in1 on the belt and it went silent. Comes back though.

Wondering whether there should be a washer between the bolt and the big flangy washer thing that bears on the bearing on the outside of the pulley?

The Alt isn't adjustable but is it possible that it's just a hairs breath out of line and causing the wobble in the belt, cause the only other pulley near the tensioner is the crank, and that can't be out :D

The RR looks bad enough, I can't have any dodgy sounds making it a bona fide junker ;)

Guest diesel_jim

My Tdi used to squeel (like a pig......), i used that chalk you get in builders merchants for "re chalking" the plumn lines.

just a little "puff" of the dust on the belt would shut it up for a while.

in the end, it turned out to be one of the alternator bearings!

The best thing to shut up an errant belt is the very fine graphite powder that you buy in little bottles from hardware stores for lubricating padlocks etc. I have tried just about everything over the last ten years including a number of belt treatment sprays etc and nothing else works as well. Forget anything which starts out "wet" as once it dries out the squeal comes back worse than ever - usually about 5 minutes!

I usually have to do the drive belt on my Milemarker pump about once a month, it is quicker than changing the belt which I should have done ages ago :)

First thing have a very close look at the tensioner, between the part that is fixed and the part that turns to adjust there is a nylon washer that is usually black in colour, this is what wears and causes the tensioner to go out of line. This results in the squeak yoiu get from the belt, chalck, graphite wd 40 stop it for a short time only.

If you get a wiper blade and remove the stainless reinforcing strip from one side of the blade, cut off approx 25mm and bend the last 6mm of end into 90 degrees, Then get slim screwdriver and slide into gap where the previously mentioned black nylon washer is towrads the top of the tensioner, The short end of the wiper erinforcing strip can then be inserted, untill the longer arm is flat against the fixed part of the tensioner. This can then be secured by a large jubilee type hose clip.

This will then stop the noise, just check that the belt is tracking centrally on the the other pulleys .

This will work for quite a mileage and allow you to purchase a new tensioner asssy. Which will be the permanent fix HTSH :D

Wow, cool thread.

I can actually see the belt move forward and back on the tensioner pully, as in nearer and farther from the edge of the drum. It's only fractional but I guess thats all it takes.

I'm assuming that A. the pulley itself isn't available seperatly from the whole tensioner unit and that B. you need to pay and then bend over the counter to actually obtain one from LR?

I'm not being lazy it's just the whole kit and caboodle goes on the ferry to Europe tomorrow night for a few months of a road trip.

I need the current setup to last as far as Greece?

EDIT: Lovin' the snake :D *look's in his pants*