Ibex or Tomcat

Ben Jordan

Jerzy's Tomcat is in the comics this month - really well thought out kit location and inventory, immensely powerful winches. take a peek but at the end of the day its all personal choice.

Ive bitched for Jerzy and I think Tomcats are a pain, I prefer Russian "Hamburgers"

Tomcat would be lighter, and has a ARC spec cage, whereas the Ibex has a spaceframe that the ARC can't get their head around

An Ibex will never be accepted by the ARC as it doesn't have a Land Rover chassis, not confirm to the LR sillhoutte <sp>. However an Ibex should confirm to MSA spec.

There is a lot of use of the word "spaceframe" in this thread when what you are actually looking at is scaffolding on top of a chassis, either to act as a roll cage (Tomcat) or support the panels (Ibex).

A spaceframe is something very different.

Maybe an Ibex is more "Superleggera" like the old Aston Martins.

I loke the look of Tomcats / Bowlers, but can see that an Ibex is a more practical vehicle for shopping, living with etc.

The QT ultralight is a good idea - but just looks a bit plain, for the amount of work involved. I would want something which has a bit of mad-max about it if I were going to build something like that.

Agree that none of these are true space frames (except possibly a Bowler) - but the compromise of keeping the chassis does avoid having to SVA the thing.

Anyone know how much of the chassis you need to keep to make it count from an SVA point of view?

Si

I loke the look of Tomcats / Bowlers, but can see that an Ibex is a more practical vehicle for shopping, living with etc.

The QT ultralight is a good idea - but just looks a bit plain, for the amount of work involved. I would want something which has a bit of mad-max about it if I were going to build something like that.

Agree that none of these are true space frames (except possibly a Bowler) - but the compromise of keeping the chassis does avoid having to SVA the thing.

Anyone know how much of the chassis you need to keep to make it count from an SVA point of view?

Si

SVA is sorted on a points system chaissis axles engines all have different pionts you have to score so many points to qualify it not being SVA,d Im biased but i prefer IBEX mines a daily driver its whatever i want it to be hack for rubbish for tip , shopping trials truck and its warm cheers chris

ive choose a 100" tomcat to build for challenge events & that purpose only, it isnt pratical for anything else i agree, but when you modify a 90 or hybrid to the extreme, that isnt a pratical road car either.

the reasons i went for a tomcat ,

1. no mass of bodywork to damage

2. panels are cheap when you do

3, 100" allowed me to move engine back 11" for stability & get the rad in the front(cant stand tomcats with no rear visability)

4. even with all the extra kit, the weight saving(the complete frame is lighter than a 90 truckcab SD external cage)

5. when built the vehicle is acutally worth something, if you sink 10K into a bobtail or certain hybrids they are still only worth half that if your lucky.

The only problem is, the time involved to build one properly, that was the only reason I was going to sell it, but now it will just be done as & when i can.

Ive spent loads of time modifing the rear of the frame to allow for storage, batterys & all the kit you need to carry on events,

Ive adding extra strenght to the frame, so that when leaning hard on trees it doesnt twist, the original frame was well built & ideal for safaris but the outer rear bars that the panels hung on were only made from thin C-Section, this has all been removed & replaced with Box Section & cross braced, same goes for the crossmember they supply, the original was binned & a new one made from 8mm plate fabricated to incorporate the rear winch & recovery points.

I had to remake all the floors & bulkhead panels, but this allowed me to make sections removable so if for instance the starter motor goes down, you remove 4 fixings & you can get to it.

As ive said I moved the engine back 11" inches, so i could get a fairly well balanced vehicle & some weight off the front axle, but i then had to modify my 3-Link Crossmember because of the front prop now running further back, I had to mod the exhaust manifolds so they ran above the chassis line & the list goes on! :angry:

Even the outer panels have to be modified to fit & I needed to reshape the arches to allow for 36" Simex,

but with any build especially when you modify everything the time just disapperars, so which ever you prefer TOMCAT/IBEX/90, just let some other fool spend the time & money, then just grab a bargin when they've had enough!!! :P