general sag xply tyres, any one know where to buy some?

nobber

Guest diesel_jim

Bearmach in Swindon have a pile of assorted tyres in the front shop, and i'm sure one is a SAG cross ply. worth giving a ring, they may have more.

a great tyre IMO! even better (gasp) than a SAG, slightly taller as well.

ive been told there is a copy called a 'security lr' but id much rather have sags if i can find soime.

There is, though it is a copy of the Firestone SAT apparently rather than the SAG. I found this out a couple of weeks ago when I tried to order some at work, the suppliers said that General had discontinued the SAG.

They were good from what I have heard from those using them, but the wear rate on road was nearly as scary as the noise :wacko:

I always thought it was a shame they didn't do the SAG pattern scaled up to something like 33x12.50R15 :)

SAG's were also uber scary on a wet road..........I remeber the back end stepping out on my series at less than 10mph on roundabouts in the wet.............

Weren't bad in the mud, but wear scary quick on the road and the noise...........

Jon

cheers guys,

ive managed to locate two so now i need at least another two.

ive tried everywhere , even dublin tyre shops with no joy.

i have been told that there is a tyre called a security but i cant find any reference to it on the net, anyone heard of these tyres?

YES - as per my post above! I couldn't find it either but I just ordered 20 so I hope they exist...

We have got some SAG's in stock but I fear the shipping would be a little prohibitive :P

oooh , depends on where you are.

YES - as per my post above! I couldn't find it either but I just ordered 20 so I hope they exist...

We have got some SAG's in stock but I fear the shipping would be a little prohibitive :P

any chance of a pic when they get delivered?

it would be interesting to know if they are a good copy or not.

As per profile on the left look it up on Google Earth!

<-----

lol , il pop over on my lunch break.

Guest diesel_jim
As said, I was told they were a copy of the old Firestone SAT directional tread so they are not the same as a SAG which is non directional.

Wasn't that the olympic remould? made in Wales IIRC.

i had a set, identical to the firestone SAT, but made of cheese, i wore a set down to the tread bars in about 3000miles.

Guest diesel_jim
why did they never do the firestone SAT in 9.00x16

would've been an awesome tyre..........

They did...

years ago, remember the old magazine "4x4", t'was full of black and white pictures with the occasional colour one thrown in . it was the mag that originally had the rangrover TEW78X converted into the infamous 100" hybrid that nick Dimbleby drives in (it was painted in pink back then).

anywya, they once showed a pic of a russian "Sugga" personell carrier (like a big car) and it had 9.00x16 sat's on. thats the ony time i ever saw a picture of one, although at the time i remember looking up firestone tyre sizes and they showed a 9.00 (this was back before the internet was like it is now, late 80's IIRC. i was about 17... spotty youf! :lol:

still spotty, just not as youthfull.

• 10 months later...

I know this is a pretty old thread, but... I also have 2 brand new SAG (general) tyres that I bought as 'spares' about 3 years ago - these are basically brand new. I was going to replace my SAT's (still going!) as they are cracking up a bit / worn, but as you found the SAG is no longer produced...

I'm after a period look SAT/SAG 750 style tyre, but they don't seem to be available anymore. Someone mentioned the 'security lr' but I can't find any trace of this tyre either... I would prefer new rather than remoulded but... I think Deestones are available but are not my first choice for trialling etc. (I run a S1V8 so too grippy diamond etc. will cause drivetrain probs) I also don't want them to look too out of place.

I tried Firestone Newzealand to see if they still had the tooling for a minimum order but they don't and seemed pretty unhelpful telling me where it is etc.

It seems strange that it is still popular, that the tyres are unavailable - I guess the long life and low mileages mean the numbers sold are relatively low.

Anyone found a SAT / SAG replacement that is still available?

Tom

• 1 year later...

You can find all the SAGś you need in Ecuador, they are still producing them. In the jungle, when you need traction in real mud, there is no Mickey Thompson, no Super Swampers, no BFG MT, there is only SAG crossply...... with pain in my heart, I have to take them from my TD5 due to my baby, they are really noisy.... but all my Series will have SAG, really the best Series tire.....

AWDC web site

Old 750x16 SATs on steel wheels

See all ads from Peter Facey

I must empty my garage. I have 4 750x16 SATs on steel wheels. The wheels are LR part number NRC7578 or earlier equivalent. I can't remember what they were originally intended for but I used to use them on an RR as they have a slightly larger offset than RR wheels and thus give better lock for trialling.

They've been sitting in my garage for ten years. I wouldn't drive along the motorway in these.

Please, someone come and relieve me of them! Near Winchester.

Price: PRICE (£): 5

Facey, Peter

ph57@brisk.org.uk