2007 Defender - Knocking underneath on overrun

Hi, I'm new to this forum and the proud owner of a new 110 Double-cab - love it!

I am a bit concerned by a knocking underneath that occurs intermittently on overrun (on road) i.e. when slowing under engine braking toward a junction or suck like. I have had the vehicle back to the dealer who have admitted that the noise is there but have told me to "keep an eye on it, but it is probably just a characteristic of the vehicle!"

As you might imagine I'm not exactly satisfied with this explanation and wondered whether anyone else had experienced something similar ( I have read the thread about the noise from underneath when off-roading due to driveshaft touching the oil pan and I'm sure that this is different).

Thanks

Mag

"keep an eye on it, but it is probably just a characteristic of the vehicle!"

What a horse manure excuse! Take it back and tell them you want a decent loan car till they have mended it. They did not have any trouble taking your money did they? Well making sure you have a decent car as a result should not cause them any trouble either.

Remember who is always right.

Chris

Mine does it too.

Only when warm (driven more than 20-30 miles). When either engine breaking or coasting up to traffic lights it bangs away as the revs drop. I thought it might be the anti-stall trying to pick up the drop in revs but I think I'm clutching at straws.

Definitely not the driveshaft hitting the sump - there are no witness marks and that problem is a geometrical one of suspension travel.

As I say, on mine it only happens when I've driven a certain distance. I wondered whether it was linked to the transmission oils warming up.

Let me know how you get on and likewise if I discover anything.

Other than that - congratulations on the truck. Double cab looks the business in my opinion.

Guest WALFY

Agree there James, but it would only happen once or twice. As the material would wear away and then subsequently not catch to bind again.

handbrake shoes too tight and touching drum gets worse as it gets hotter- maybe?

Agree with this. Could be the handbrake cable needs slackening off a tad, When I slow down and it clonks, I just push the button down and give the h/brake a couple of gentle pulls to settle the shoes, then its alright till next time I use the H/brake. Disagree that it would only happen once or twice, mines done 110k, ownwed it for 2 years, clonked for 2 years. Stumpy

Agree there James, but it would only happen once or twice. As the material would wear away and then subsequently not catch to bind again.

Mark,

from my experience the material doens't wear that quickly my 300tdi did it for ages, in fact i did it after every service until i slackened the cable each time. a short drive and it would be fine but a 5 miles or more at 50mph + and it would bind, most noticeable when coming off the power and slowing.

If this is happening the drum will be hot/warm to touch. test it after a run when the noise is present.

Mine does it too.

Only when warm (driven more than 20-30 miles). When either engine breaking or coasting up to traffic lights it bangs away as the revs drop. I thought it might be the anti-stall trying to pick up the drop in revs but I think I'm clutching at straws.

Definitely not the driveshaft hitting the sump - there are no witness marks and that problem is a geometrical one of suspension travel.

As I say, on mine it only happens when I've driven a certain distance. I wondered whether it was linked to the transmission oils warming up.

Let me know how you get on and likewise if I discover anything.

Other than that - congratulations on the truck. Double cab looks the business in my opinion.

Yes! Mine only does it when the vehicle has been driven for quite while and is therefore warm / hot.

Pic of truck

post-4541-1205858589_thumb.jpg

Guest WALFY

OK. I'll bow to your expierience. I didn't think the material would last that long if doing that speed/milage. Live and learn I suppose

handbrake shoes too tight and touching drum gets worse as it gets hotter- maybe?

Nice idea - it would certainly explain my fuel economy. However, it doesn't suit my symptoms I think.

Firstly: If the handbrake was binding, I'd expect it to interfere with the ability to roll. If I am sitting at a junction (clutch in, brakes off) then I roll as expected - no attenuation or damping.

Secondly: why would it only happen on the over-run? Surely you'd expect to feel the transmission judder when cruising along. I had disk brakes that were binding a while ago and the transmission vibration was extreme - and got worse with speed. No such thing here. Steady speeds (high or low) aren't affected.

Thirdly: It doesn't seem to happen when engaging the clutch at higher speeds (e.g. changin from 4-5 etc) only when slowing down. It also doesn't happen when accelerating (i.e. going through the same rev and speed combinations in the opposite direction).

Thinking about it, I don't know whether it happens when in gear. Certainly is still happens with clutch in or clutch out + neutral, but I don't think it happens when in gear - i'll let it run to virtually stall at some point and see.

I'll also check the brake drum after a journey - see if it's hot.

Somebody has mentioned this already but I had the same problem with mine. Take out the centre cubby box or seat and look at the top of the gearbox to see if it is touching the body. Mine was and it caused a knocking noise but it went OK after a few thousand miles.

Damn Maq - that's a nice truck!

You got all the toys then ;)

I take it the chequer plate is after market (LR don't do the bonnet piece do they?)

Alan

Thanks, I like it! Not quite ALL the toys - I have thus far resisted the lure of a winch. I have the 2.8m Patriot roof rack with twin ladders, the spots you can see, a work light over the driver's door and on the back, a Mantec snorkel, a Trojan aluminium custom back box (for my dog!) with sliding windows and roof vent, chequer plate all 'round including on the roof rack - handy picnic area away from wild animals (Yorkshire's full of them!), I've had a Cobra tracker system fitted and a Parrot 3200 colour bluetooth gizmo an a cheap (but really good) satnav. I've recently added Mud seat rails to give more leg room and wind deflectors

It is my every day vehicle, in fact it is my company car - as a "commercial" the tax breaks are fantastic.

The black (anodised?) chequer plate is after market, it was sourced from Scorpion Racing.

I think there is a certain amount of latitude I'm willing to give this truck on the basis that it is just that; a truck, the snatchy gearbox and the various creaks and rattles are examples of that, but this noise sounds like a mechanical issue that needs addressing.

I will jot down the theories people have noted on here (thank you!) and pass them to the dealer - it's crazy that it works that way but I suppose every car dealer is equally bad at after sales service.

Which model did you get then?

Mag

To answer your second and third questions: Yes, the noise will only occur on the overrun or when slowing down. Don't ask why, but that is what it does. It is one of those standard Land Rover things.

in answer to your questions - what Jim said ^^^^ i dont know but it just does.

tried the cubby box option as desribed above?

in answer to your questions - what Jim said ^^^^ i dont know but it just does.

tried the cubby box option as desribed above?

I'll give it a go at the weekend. Doesn't sound like knocking that close to me but worth a quick look.

I friend of mine with a 2007 had something similar last weekend. He came over complaining about a 'clunck' on overrun, worried he wouldn't be able to join us on a local greenlane the next day.

I crawled from under my car and under his and found 3 of the 4 bolts holding the rear propshaft to the brake drum were so loose I could tighten them by hand! :o

After proper tightening, the noise was gone, altough I did have the feeling there was a lot of play in the transfercase as well.

I friend of mine with a 2007 had something similar last weekend. He came over complaining about a 'clunck' on overrun, worried he wouldn't be able to join us on a local greenlane the next day.

I crawled from under my car and under his and found 3 of the 4 bolts holding the rear propshaft to the brake drum were so loose I could tighten them by hand! :o

After proper tightening, the noise was gone, altough I did have the feeling there was a lot of play in the transfercase as well.

Wow - that's interesting.

Might have a bit of a crawl on Friday. It's never stopped me greenlaning yet (perhaps it should have) and what a greenlaner it is too!

The dealership said that they had checked every nut and bolt underneath mine and everything was tight - IF they are to be believed!!

(On a different subject how come it takes hours for my replies to appear?)

Read & understood, thanks.

Hardly dare tempt fate BUT... the knocking seems to have stopped!

It has been replaced by a really annoying creaking noise from a mystery source inside the cab! I have resolved to just turn up the stereo.