Loads of questions about 110s

Right then, good though my Disco is and how I enjoy driving it both on and off road I am coming to the conclusion that a 110 is going to suit me better long term in view of how I see things developing (personally and politically!) However, while I consider myself to know the ins and outs of the disco pretty well by now there are a couple of things on the 110 I am not sure about and need some help with.

1. Salisbury axle. Did this change with the TD5 engine and from when did they have disc brakes?

2. Fuel tank. Where is it on which models 200, 300, TD5? and is it possible to fit a rear tank and an underseat one to any model?

3. Has anyone got a tdi hardtop 110 they want to get rid of/part ex for a 200tdi Disco?

Cheers for any input

Mark

Some answers

1. Salisbury went out with the TD5 You might find a late 300Tdi with the later axle fitted.

Disc brakes came i on the rear with the 300Tdi. Again some late 200Tdi's were fitted with rear discs.

2. Fuel tank is at the rear under the floor between the chassis rails.

Yes it is possible to fit extra tankage. About 40 litres in a saddle tank in the R/H rear wing.

Yes you can fit a tank under the drivers seat. You loose a nive piece of storage though.

3. I have no idea. I have a station wagon. NOT a County and I'm not parting.... :o

mike

Edited to say I disagree with some of mmgemini's points ;)

1. Change to the Wolf axle was with the 2002 model year, early 99-01 Td5s had the Salisbury rear axle fitted because we've got a few at work. The new axle came in at the same time as the new dash with the big square box for the radio, switches etc. and at the same time there were other minor changes to brakes, panhard rod and probably some other tweaks which I forget.

Disc brakes on the rear axle came in for the last 9000 or so late production 200Tdi Defenders from (guessing) some time in 1993, and from then onwards, all 300Tdis and Td5s have discs all round. You will find a late 300Tdi with the new Wolf rear axle fitted, because I have got one, but by "late" I am talking about 2006 export spec 300Tdi, not anything available in the UK ;)

2. Under the back on all of them, plastic tank on later models which is better/worse in various respects. Underseat tank not possible/easy on 1999 onwards Td5 models due to underseat ECU and fuse box!

3. No :D

Guest diesel_jim
1. Change to the Wolf axle was with the 2002 model year, early 99-01 Td5s had the Salisbury rear axle fitted because we've got a few at work. The new axle came in at the same time as the new dash with the big square box for the radio, switches etc. and at the same time there were other minor changes to brakes, panhard rod and probably some other tweaks which I forget.

Disc brakes on the rear axle came in for the last 9000 or so late production 200Tdi Defenders from (guessing) some time in 1993, and from then onwards, all 300Tdis and Td5s have discs all round. You will find a late 300Tdi with the new Wolf rear axle fitted, because I have got one, but by "late" I am talking about 2006 export spec 300Tdi, not anything available in the UK ;)

my 2001 Td5 110 had a salisbury on it too. great axle! a proper axle..

The wolf is basically the diff out of the P38 RR. It is a four-pin diff, and doesn't seem to give any trouble. It is a trouble to us because we have to keep 2 types of rear disks in stock. Why they had to change the discs as well is beyond me.

Doubtless many will write in about exploded wolf diffs now :)

What was the difference between Salisbury axle and later ones?

Proper implies it was better. But then so does "Wolf" in my book.

Later can mean better or cheaper to manufacture in LR's case.

I'll see if I can make this simple.

The Salisbury has the diff nose as part of the axle casing.

To do any work you are supposed to use a spreader plare to take the crownwheel and diff out. Then the pinion shaft comes out through the back of the axle.

Do not undo the pinion nut to change the pinion seal. That will upset the pinion shaft pre-load. There are means round that though.

Special tools are needed for the Salisbury to set the pinoin bearing pe-load up.

Ford called the Salisbuery axle the Bullit,. cos it was supposed to be bullit proof.

AFAIK the later axle has a diff that pulls away from the casing. Am I right here ?? Then you can do all the work to the diff on the bench.

Easier to work on I presume.

The Salisbury is heavy. Very heavy. The Wolf looks lighter. Is it ?

I've done three Salisbury diffs in the distant past when I was working.

Two on a course at Ford. One in the workshop. I'll not ever do another.

I still think it's a very good axle.

mike

Watch out for the 200Tdi's. New heads and injectors are no longer available.

My point is that you'll have to look after the engine more to avoid any problems with non-available parts.

The 300Tdi's still have new parts available and are quieter.

Doubtless many will write in about exploded wolf diffs now :)

Er, yeah :)

We have had "a few" though the problems with the early ones seem to have largely settled down now, there are only the odd ones here and there. There have been at least 2 on brand new vehicles that I can think of!

We have changed 2 Salis diffs in 12 years I have been at my current job, on vehicles of any age.

Cheers Si

I have 2 200tdi Discos here. One on 185K and the other on 145K. Both are still very good and I would plan on keeping the vital bits from them even if I scrap the rest of the trucks (they owe me nothing) as I want this new truck to last as long as possible. Anyway, its all plans at the mo, though we may be having a look at a couple this weekend to see if Birgit could actually live with one!

Question. Presumably the ARB centre for a rover diff is different from the centre for the Salisbury? (I know thats not technically a question :D )

you need different ARBs for a Salisbury axle yes.

get a td5, with what i think you are toying with the idea of (long range tanks etc!) best truck for it without the age concerns of a tdi. PM Chris for a list of the last auction prices on them.