Uneven brake pad wear

I just changed all my break pads a few weeks ago. When I changed them I noticed that all 4 sets had lots of wear on the inside and almost none on the outside.

I was under the landrover today doing somthing with the rear axle breather and I just noticed that the inside of the rear pads is almost down to the metal already. Ive done about 1000 miles since I changed them. The 1000 miles has been a fair mixture of town, motorway, country, offroad but 500 miles of trailer driving. I suspect pulling the trailer on serious mountain roads had made this happen sooner than it would have but still doesnt explain why its just on the inside.

Ive got a doscovery 1 rear axle and a normal 1985 90 Front axle.

Does anyone know what is going wrong? Do I need to change the calipers or is somthing else up.

One other thing. I put 40mm lift springs on recently. Dont know if that will cause any difference.

Cheers

Guest diesel_jim

My old 90 when it had rangie classic calipers on it, used to do exactly the same thing. i'd just swap the pads over part way through their life to even out the wear!

i could never work it out, none of the pistons were siezed or stiff, so it must be the oil ways/drillings inside the caliper that makes the difference?

I might have done what you said and swapped the pads round but for some reason I didnt think of looking for the short 3 weeks that they were fitted. They are about 2 mm off the metal on the inside now. Need new ones tomorrow but I dont want to just keep throwing away pads like this

Definitely have the wheel cylinders out and clean / inspect thoroughly

If problem continues probably stainless steel pistons in the wheel cylinders will help

Same thing happening on my nas but mileage a lot higher than yours, on road and trailer and off-road I get about 8000 miles to a set and mine is a 4 speed auto so brake wear will be higher.

What make pads are you using?

I noticed this on my RRC - but only on one side. Can't offer a solution I'm afraid since I haven't had a go at it yet, but the only thing I can think of that would cause this is that the pads are not retreating after use. This could be that the pads are not sliding freely enough in their mountings (which I doubt if you replaced them a few weeks ago) - or the piston(s) similarly not retreating.

IIMUT - It is my understanding that ;) - Normally the cylinder seal will only slide on the piston when it has wear to take up, other than that it distorts to allow the piston to move and then has just enough spring-back to pull the piston clear of the back of the pads and allow them to 'float' either just brushing the disc, or sometimes even clear of it.

So if the pistons are not retreating after use; that can be caused by:

1. Piston and or cylinder corrosion.

2. Hardened cylinder seal (caused by non-standard brake fluid for example?)

3. A crimp/blockage in a brake pipe

4. Something else I haven't thought of.

Hope this helps...

TwoSheds - soon to become three - I have just bought a Disco 200tdi - OMG what have I done? I must have caught Landroveroedema :o

I just changed all my break pads a few weeks ago. When I changed them I noticed that all 4 sets had lots of wear on the inside and almost none on the outside...

The inside is the bit that touches the disc - the outside is against the calliper and so no wear!

Sorry :blush: - i'll get my coat...

It happens mainly on the back in places like here where there are unsurfaced roads - reason being that the inner pad is more exposed to the muck running down through it, the outer pad is shielded by the wheel rim. Why it would happen in other conditions, no idea...

It happens mainly on the back in places like here where there are unsurfaced roads - reason being that the inner pad is more exposed to the muck running down through it, the outer pad is shielded by the wheel rim. Why it would happen in other conditions, no idea...

Thats very interesting to read. Here in romania most of the roads are considered unsurfaced by western standards. Even in town and A roads you find your self constantly driving through big pot holes, mut, sand, dirt and water. The last 1000 miles I would say about 300 of it was on good normal road. The rest of it is bouncing about the sorry excuse for roads here.

I would say I probably have the same driving conditions as you. But still. Even in the worst conditions surly somthing is up with the calipers for me to have such exessive wear in just 1000 miles.

I just had the wheels off again today to look properly and there is about 3 mm left on the rear right inside pad and 0 to 1 mm left on the rear left inside while there is about 9 or 10 mm left on both out side pads.

Oh. and when I apply the breaks and release, the wheel is free to move by hand straight after. No binding.

All that wear in 1000 miles. I do a lot of dirt road driving and mine last for ages, 150k on the front and about 100k on the back. This is in kilometers, of course. I reckon your cylinders must be sticking, as said above. Or maybe the pads are made of compressed paper, like a Trabant? :rolleyes:

Add a bit of water Jim and it's a different story. In the winter here when the roads are wet, 3000 miles is about top whack for rear pads on a vehicle used on the unsurfaced roads all the time if it's a bad winter. I have seen the new - thicker - post 2002 110 rear pads worn down to the metal backing on a 1000 mile service in a couple of extreme cases!

Do you think I should just change the pads and hope things will be better now the weather is better? Or should I change the pads and strip/clean the calipers and replace the discs (badly scored even though less than a year old)

ah there's the difference, we don't get much water, although it has been raining a lot this summer. So I should look at my pads, I reckon. Though they seemed fine when I last looked. And I have removed those so-called mud shield thingies. They broke and rattled and drove me mad.

Mud shields are a must here or you can halve the life of the rear pads! I took them off my old 90 once, chewed a set of pads in 3000 miles (normally would last about double that for me) and put them back on again quick. They still break and rattle and irritate though!

I was always told to bin the mud guards when they rot and break. You think I should get some new ones back on there?

They cost a fortune for the discovery for some reason (I've gota disco back axle). about 3 times more than for defender axles. Dont know why :-(

My 90 has eaten front pads to the point of i was towing the other night ( a loaded car trailer) went to brake and you could hear the grinding over the engine, talking and trailer rattling....not good.

On inspection its the inner pads gone on mine, and i have mud shields fitted, however they are coming off as all the do is trap twigs/carp/stones and cause more problems!

I havent specificly checked them for play but I am very observant and havent noticed any while taking wheels on and off (alot latley) I'll go check again today but I dont think its that. Does anyone know if its possible for dirt to get stuck in the fluid system and to stop it flowing to both sides of the calipers evenly?

I havent specificly checked them for play but I am very observant and havent noticed any while taking wheels on and off (alot latley) I'll go check again today but I dont think its that. Does anyone know if its possible for dirt to get stuck in the fluid system and to stop it flowing to both sides of the calipers evenly?

Give the hubs a wiggle - i know mine are fine despite the pad wear.

As for stuff in the system, no, if it has a way in fluid would get out and also air would get in, unless it was at assembly time in the factory in which case it would have shown up by now.

So there is no way that the brake fluid could be pushing the pistons unevenly? When I changed the pads last they were stiff so I worked them in and out and they were free. I would have thought this was the cause now but there doesnt seem to be any binding atall after applying the brakes and then turning the wheel by hand

I was always told to bin the mud guards when they rot and break. You think I should get some new ones back on there?

Depends what the roads are like in Romania...

You certainly need them here. You certainly don't in the UK. Take them off and see how long your brake pads last and decide whether you want them back on again! I did.