LT230 transferbox

Hi all

right it's my turn for some help :unsure:

driving back home about 1 hour ago, changed down main box from 5th to 4th, found the rev counter dropping towards idle revs, blipped throttle/rechecked main gear was in & then noticed the transfer lever had jumped out of high, coasted to side of road, managed to re-engage high range & got moving again, after 4 or 5 miles it jumped out again, I re-engaged it again & carried on home, now I can't dis-engage high range at all, diff-lock works, but lever stuck in high.

any ideas whats busted.???? :unsure::huh: because I'm not sure which bits need replacing :unsure:

Hi all

right it's my turn for some help :unsure:

driving back home about 1 hour ago, changed down main box from 5th to 4th, found the rev counter dropping towards idle revs, blipped throttle/rechecked main gear was in & then noticed the transfer lever had jumped out of high, coasted to side of road, managed to re-engage high range & got moving again, after 4 or 5 miles it jumped out again, I re-engaged it again & carried on home, now I can't dis-engage high range at all, diff-lock works, but lever stuck in high.

any ideas whats busted.???? :unsure::huh:

Mine kept jumping out of high but was OK in low, turned out that the lever had been put on a few splines out. Been OK ever since.

Gaza

Guest diesel_jim

On one of my old 90's (200Tdi FWIW), i had a similar thing, gradually i found it harder to engage high range, to the extent it kept popping out like yours..

i pulled the rubber gearstick gaiter off, and the foam soundproof thing out of the tunnel, and there was loads of mud jammed in where the hi/low linkage is. over the years i'd gone through so much poo that it had collected there, and been "compressed" when i changed from low into high, eventually resulting in not enough room to get high.

quick poke around with a screwdriver, wahey! the lever went back about 1/2" further than before (but as it was a gradual thing i suppose i never noticed) and it never popped out again.

Of course, it could be that with a million miles on, your transfer box has gone on strike!

removed the drain plug looked like a xmas tree :unsure:

well drained the oil --- not very much OOPS :rolleyes:

and found these bits [see 1st photo] in the bottom of the casing they look like bits of bearing cage, I can see more broken bits to the rear nearest the casing of the rear lowermost gear [see 2nd photo]

as for life, it had bearings replaced about 7 years ago maybe slightly longer & has nearly 400,000miles under it's gears :D so I'm not complaining just a bit peeded off it's busted.

still cannot move from high range to low range, it's just locked up. but drives fine in high but a bit more noise than normal.

so would my best move be to repair this box or obtain a exchange box from Mr Ashcroft :D

post-20-1206391854_thumb.jpg

post-20-1206392217_thumb.jpg

If the throw between hi and lo seems extremely long and you have difficulty engaging either then mine did this recently - was a very easy fix. There's a 'finger' on the selector shaft (the bit on the other end of the rod at the bottom of the short stick) that's held on with a grub screw - when the grub screw comes loose you'll have difficulty selecting either hi or lo and it's more prone to jumping out of whichever you've selected as you don't get a positive selection of either.

There's a housing on top of the transfer box, four bolts retain it IIRC, easily visible with the centre cubby/centre seat and plate removed - simply remove the housing, then remove the shaft and tighten the grub screw up, refit shaft ensuring 'finger' fits into recess on the selector rod and do the housing back up.

Cheers,

hi

from your pic it looks like the slector fork has broken and thats why it stuck in high.

but in saying that if the fork broke i'd have expeced the high low lever to be slopy .

please let us know what it was when you find out.

Tim

so would my best move be to repair this box or obtain a exchange box from Mr Ashcroft :D

If it's just a bearing I'd have a go DIY - they're not hard to tinker with, and believe me anything gearbox related I'd usually be the first person on the phone to an adult! :lol:

Certanly will Tim :D simply cos I want to know too.

not sure whats gone, going to ring Mr Ashcroft tomorrow for advice

had another look & can see what I believe is part of a bearing carrier between the rear of the casing & the gear, can't get the other loose bit out though.

if bearing item 6 sits in the rear face of the transfer box case & to the rear of gear item 4, then it's bits of the bearing carrier cage I can see broken & in the photo of bits above.

is it possible to replace this bearing item 6 by removing the rear output/speedo housing or do I need to pull the complete shaft/centre diff out to replace the bearing ??? :unsure::huh:

post-20-1206475779_thumb.jpg

I had exactly the same problem with mine, half way up the motor way, kept jumping out, and then eventualy got stuck (this time in low (I managed to pull it back into neutral with a lot of effort). I got a replacment box and went to get it fitted but it turned out that the problem was the bearing at the rear of the input shaft which caused it to slip back slightly on the splines and hence come out of alignment, and hence keep jumping out.

Its realy simple to check, all you need to do is to remove the rear cover (you have to do this to take the box off properly anyway.

Unfortunalty by being a bit forcefull in pulling it out of low i naped the selector fork (that was an expensive mistake!)

The box has never sounded or run better, and after removing all the mud from around the lever it now goes into gear fully, and stays there as well.

I think the chain of events is the same, mud building up over time stopping it going into gear fully, which then causes the bearing to wear out as the gears are slightly out of alignment.

I would also recomend if you are replacing the bearing that you make sure you have a cross drilled shaft in its place as this allows the oil to circulate much more and hence reduces the temperature of the shaft and the bearing. - Having enough oil also helps :)

My nice shiney replacement transfer box from Mr Ashcroft arrived today, Thanks Dave :D now safely tucked away for the night, today the old box was removed, I managed to get it off with the aid of a old ratchet strap. had to give up for today as it's dark & raining again.