loss of drive

drving along last nite when suddenly lost drive, pulled over can select all gears but no no drive, makes no difference if im in high, low range or difflock an ideas??

Any noises? Perhaps a bang when it went or a rattle or something - any other symptoms??

Any noises? Perhaps a bang when it went or a rattle or something - any other symptoms??

when i stopped and put it in gear when i let the clutch off made grinding noises but then stopped now it just makes no noise with no drive, have heard some slightly strange noises from the clutch recently though

when i stopped and put it in gear when i let the clutch off made grinding noises but then stopped now it just makes no noise with no drive, have heard some slightly strange noises from the clutch recently though

The two most likely scenarios are:

1. The gearbox mainshaft splines upon which the Transfer input gear locates may have stripped. Very common on old LT77 boxes and the first of the R380s.

2. The clutch driven plate could have torn its centre out.

You can check for stripped splines by removing the rear round cover plate on the back of the transfer box. If the splines have stripped, the end of the shaft visible poking through the back of the gear will spin without the gear turning when the engine is turned over when the main gearbox is in gear and the clutch pedal is NOT pressed.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Diff

Some vague indication of what vehicle/engine/gearbox we are talking about would be useful as different ones have different weaknesses.

From the forum the question is in, I have so far gathered it is one of the boxy ones not one of the curvy ones :)

Some vague indication of what vehicle/engine/gearbox we are talking about would be useful as different ones have different weaknesses.

From the forum the question is in, I have so far gathered it is one of the boxy ones not one of the curvy ones :)

its a 1984 90 with a disco 200tdi on a newer lt77s gearbox/transferbox lt230. i think ive sussed it out to be clutch and ill keep you all updated when i find out more

cheers for all your help

OK ... clutch centre is one possibility, not far behind that is the mainshaft splines where the mainshaft from the gearbox goes into the transfer box - there's plenty of info on here on the fault if you have a search, but basically the splines strip and you lose drive - its not hard to check and is a possibility on that age of box, on new R380 boxes the fault has been cured. In fact unless you are 100% sure it is the clutch, its easiest to check that first as you only have to take off the PTO plate on the back of the t/box.

OK ... clutch centre is one possibility, not far behind that is the mainshaft splines where the mainshaft from the gearbox goes into the transfer box - there's plenty of info on here on the fault if you have a search, but basically the splines strip and you lose drive - its not hard to check and is a possibility on that age of box, on new R380 boxes the fault has been cured. In fact unless you are 100% sure it is the clutch, its easiest to check that first as you only have to take off the PTO plate on the back of the t/box.

Ok good thinking, do i need to drain the oil first and what am looking for once i remove the cover

No need to drain the oil, just unbolt the cover.

You will see the end of the gearbox shaft and the input gear, you may be able to see that the splines have been stripped. Failing that have some body turn the engine over while in gear .....use a socket on the crankshaft pulley nut, if its stripped the shaft will rotate without turning the input gear.

Rod

No need to drain the oil, just unbolt the cover.

You will see the end of the gearbox shaft and the input gear, you may be able to see that the splines have been stripped. Failing that have some body turn the engine over while in gear .....use a socket on the crankshaft pulley nut, if its stripped the shaft will rotate without turning the input gear.

Rod

ok cheers will see tomoro and give an update

checked pto cover today and it looks likes it the clutch not the mainshaft. i thought it was clutch as its been a bit strange lately lots of strange noises so i ordered new clutch, arm, realease bearing yesterday which arrived today and ive started taking it to peices ready for the new clutch which i should be able to do over the weekend.

what is best as a clutch alignment tool as i have a spare lt77 gearbox which i could cut the input shaft off to use if necesary or should i just buy a clutch tool?

regards

what is best as a clutch alignment tool as i have a spare lt77 gearbox which i could cut the input shaft off to use if necesary or should i just buy a clutch tool?

regards

I've always used handle of a wheelbrace or 22mm copper pipe with turns of tape on to fit bush and plate. Never had problem lining them up. Spare shaft would be handier though.

Using a spare input shaft is always easier but if the LT77 box that you were going to cut it from is any good i wouldn't bother.

I normally do thigs by eye and feel, there are three gaps around the pressure plate where you can feel the edges of the friction plate. Get it so these all feel evenly spaced nip it up and check its not moved. Worked everytime for me so far.

If your not happy that way you can buy a universal clutch alignment tool from most motor factors for about £10.

Mick

If the old gearbox is no good, then cut the shaft off just back from where the splines end. There's no better tool than that for doing a clutch. Might be worth replacing the spigot bearing as well, they are very cheap and are usually worn to some degree. If you can weld - strengthen the clutch fork pivot point as well as they have a habit of wearing through.

Les.

If the old gearbox is no good, then cut the shaft off just back from where the splines end. There's no better tool than that for doing a clutch. Might be worth replacing the spigot bearing as well, they are very cheap and are usually worn to some degree. If you can weld - strengthen the clutch fork pivot point as well as they have a habit of wearing through.

Les.

i think i will just cut it then as im sure ill end up doing clutches again. i think having 35 inch tyres isnt helping as my gearing is very high now

i think i will just cut it then as im sure ill end up doing clutches again. i think having 35 inch tyres isnt helping as my gearing is very high now

got it sorted now clutch was knackered and fell apart in my had when i took it out. cheers for the advice on the clutch tool Les worked a treat.