300 Tdi Exhaust

I need to get a new exhaust for my 300Tdi 110CSW as the back bit has fallen off :( It was looking a bit crusty when it went in for MOT earlier this year and the other day I noticed that the exhaust note changed while I was driving it and it sounded much rortier - turns out the back end of the rear silencer has blown out completely...

The question is this:

Do I replace with a standard exhaust rear section - I think that the rest of the system is OK - or do I swap it for some other system and, if so, what works best.

I do some off-roading and so it does get dunked in muddy water from time to time but the vast majority of the vehicle's use is long-haul road miles.

It would be good to find a system that improves gas flow (and exhaust note) while still being reasonably robust. I am not that keen to go down the stainless route.

Does anyone have any suggestions. What works well?

Gordon

I use standard down pipe minus the catalyst then a I had a Stainless steel centre box added then straight through to the tail pipe.

I would avoid the ones for sale in the Mags as they are a tad ££ IMHO.

without any boxes it was too loud for my liking.

I have to say I'd never get anything other than Genuine exhaust if I could.

Aftermarket cheapo ones are cr*p and never fit properly, and the poofy stainless ones are usually silly money. Genuine ones usually last about 6-7 years sometimes more, and you can't really grumble about that, plus they fit straight on - on my last 90 it took me nigh on 2 hours to get a non-genuine centre silencer to fit (4 bolts + 2 rubber mounts - should be 10 min job except I couldn't get a Gen one at the time) because the whole thing was out of shape, mounts in wrong place, wrong length etc etc. Too much aggravation!

I've used paddocks on both 90 and disco but I'd be interrested in pricing genuine next time as like Steve say's they're not as good a fit and don't look as though they are going to last as long. But they are very low cost :D

Tried stainless on my 110 but it went like many simple LR jobs and after changing the manifod, then getting a different SS downpipe I ran out of patience and just put cheap steel on for the rest of the system. The unfited boxes went with the 110 when I sold it.

i wouldnt go stainless for any of the bits that are likely to come into contact(read damge) with the ground.

I have fitted a Paddocks non gen, no probs.

nothing wrong with SS systems, I've a DoubleS on my 110, the only change I've made was to fit a normal steel downpipe as the SS one was a very tight to fit on the turbo outlet and leaked cos it wouldn't go up fully, steel one was dead easy to refit.

Edited by western

nothing wrong with SS systems, I've a DoubleS on my 110, the only change I've made was to fit a normal steel downpipe as the SS one was a very tight to fit on the turbo outlet and leaked cos it wouldn't go up fully, steel one was dead easy to refit.

Thanks everyone. I will try and get hold of the genuine bit and then try and find some time (or someone) to fit it.

I have to say I'd never get anything other than Genuine exhaust if I could. [...] Genuine ones usually last about 6-7 years sometimes more, and you can't really grumble about that...

My 110 tdi exhaust is at 222k kms and 11 years. I'll keep you posted :)

My 110 tdi exhaust is at 222k kms and 11 years. I'll keep you posted :)

Can't complain at that then! :) :) :)

Somewhat drier and less salty climate probably helps I guess - but even if they only last 6 or 7 years, why spent £500 on a stainless one? Maybe different on a V8 - petrol engines tend to eat exhausts rather more quickly - but the one on my V8 Discovery is 3.5 years old and apart from a possible problem brewing with the cats (she just feels a bit stifled sometimes, as if they are blocking up) it's got life left in it yet.

Has anyone got an idea what the price of an genuine parts TDi exhaust would be though? I just discounted it fearing the worst but they do seem to give good service and rather regret not pricing it up at the time.