JST`s Drive round day

ciderman

I would like to recomend these Drive round day events that JST lays on , We had an excellent day and it was a nice break from the norm (whatever that is )

Some really good driving sections , good weather and good company made for a cracking day out .

And a HUGE thanks to Walfy for being our guide , ;)

Guest WALFY

No worries. Hope you didn't mind to much with all the pauses we had. And the late lunch. Shame I didn't have my Simex on. Good to see everyone there today. Some old faces and some new.

I think everyone should have a go at these days out with James. A good level o lanes to suit all standards of driver and vehicles. Well worth the money

Guest WALFY

I think it would depend on the recent weather. It was a little moist underfoot yesterday and things took a little longer than normal. Picking your line was the order of the day. And not believing Trem ;) . Or you end up stuck. Ask me how I know. Surprising how fast his camera comes out. All of the interesting bits have a by pass. So I think you should be able to do most of it Si. Yesterday there was a mixture of full on challenge trucks all the way through to a standard 90 and full size RRC. Both of which aquitted themselves very well.

Bring your truck down and have a look see Simon. You can always miss bits out or jump in with some one else. Normaly spare seats around.

How would a fairly standard 110 Doublecab fair on one of the drive round days?

I'm keen to find exactly what it is good for?

Si

Mine did the DRD at Culmhead/Wellington OK Si. IIRC Pugwash has taken the Lard-cruiser round Bampton DRD but I have reservations about taking my 110 round.

I took some quads round on Saturday and we all agreed it was brilliant - and I only fell off twice!

Chris

Si

I get round in my Landcruiser quite well and that's 112" wheelbase with a pretty big overhang at the back. Occasionally do some daamge, but that's invariably driver error and stupidity which could easily be avoided with a bit more care and attention. Used my lockers about 4-5 times yesterday but that was often because the ground conditions were pretty poor.

I'd say you would have no problems and you would find it very very enjoyable.

Si

Simon - i think Wellington Site would be more suited to a 110, the Bamtpon site is a little tight for corners in a LWB. Having said that all the section can be bypassed, cant say i would like to so it in a 110 and echo Chris' thoughts for Bampton.

I think it would depend on the recent weather. It was a little moist underfoot yesterday and things took a little longer than normal. Picking your line was the order of the day. And not believing Trem ;) . Or you end up stuck. Ask me how I know. Surprising how fast his camera comes out. All of the interesting bits have a by pass. So I think you should be able to do most of it Si. Yesterday there was a mixture of full on challenge trucks all the way through to a standard 90 and full size RRC. Both of which aquitted themselves very well.

Bring your truck down and have a look see Simon. You can always miss bits out or jump in with some one else. Normaly spare seats around.

This bit? or one of the other times?

post-53-1206950319_thumb.jpg

I thought the point of JST hosting them was that he played guide???

Anyways, they do seem good, i shall be attending once the 90 has gone and the D-Lander is finished :)

As it was the last one at Bampton DRDs before Nov that had any spaces left there was alot of interest so we ran two convoys and i couldnt lead two so Mark kindly led the more experienced group around for me.

Well may as well put pics here while the thread is alive!

Only have some from my group i am afraid, no one was caged so we gave lardys drop a miss this time! i am sure someone has some pics of the others guys doing it.

post-53-1206950656_thumb.jpg

post-53-1206950668_thumb.jpg

post-53-1206950679_thumb.jpg

post-53-1206950693_thumb.jpg

post-53-1206950719_thumb.jpg

post-53-1206950742_thumb.jpg

post-53-1206950757_thumb.jpg

post-53-1206950770_thumb.jpg

post-53-1206950793_thumb.jpg

post-53-1206950806_thumb.jpg

Guest WALFY
Are we saying the the second lead driver got stuck !! :lol:

Sorry i miss another day out !! would have been cheaper !! :(

THIS IS MY EXCUSE AND i'M STICKING TO IT :P

I led the other group around while James the other. We managed to be at the same section at the same time, so James gave me a new set of directions and a bypass of where his group was. And bowing to his superior knowledge(?) I followed the route given to me. As soon as I lost momentum his camera appeared from behind his back. It was all I could do to get out of the truck before I was photographed in it.

As James said I had the more exp group. Didn't help that I was expieriencing locker problems and had my MT's on from the day before, where as the 3 90's that were with me were Simex'd and twin ARB's, and the Disco that came with us had a nice V8 loud pedal ;) . Trying to keep them moving invariable meant I got stuck. Purely for them to practice their recovery technique :P .

Overall I think my group enjoyed their day and did a fair few sections. Due to the moist conditions I didn't even contemplate the quarry section otherwise we'd of still been there now :( .

Hi guys, I spoke to Walfy briefly about these events while he generously replaced the oil in my Range Rover engine that Mr Fridgefreezer had neglected to mention did not exist... :ph34r:

I'm interested - where can I find out about dates / location and would it be acceptible to do it in a lightly modded unimog (404)?

Any requirements for vehicle or driver?

Cheers, Al.

:)

Guest WALFY

Al

If you go to any post by James (JST) and follow the link inthe bottom of the post it takes you to his site. Then just click on the diary section.

Not sure about the Mog. I think it might be a bit big for some of the sections. Spk to James to confirm though. As I said that day these days are well worth it. Even if it's to meet up with other forumers for a catchup with the bonus of some offroading thrown in.

How are the map boxes? The other people didn't turn up for the other ones and when I got back to work today the civvy storeman had squashed them and placed them in the skip :(

Hello mate, cool I'll check it out. The Mog is only a few inches longer wheelbase than a 110, and its got much less overhangs so might be ok - I'll ask. It is quite wide though...

How are the map boxes? The other people didn't turn up for the other ones and when I got back to work today the civvy storeman had squashed them and placed them in the skip :(

:blink::o:blink:

Ouch. What a shame!

Yeah, they're great ta, I'm waiting to get a new workshop to put them in, but they'll be seriously useful once I'm sorted on that front. Thanks again! Just what I needed.

Al. :)