Rear Radius arm bush

Scotian

Here is a pic of a new Deflex bush fitted on my 90 with what is about a 40mm lift (not even quite 2 inches) The OE bushes that were on before lasted about 8 months of Romanian roads and they had this gap at the top with a very compressed bottom, I didnt think these would. Is it normal? Should I have corrected arms to stop this happening or should I just leave it as is?

post-7320-1207239925_thumb.jpg

Sound advice from my learned friend

Oh Jase, four guest ciders at the pub the other weekend including a rather delighful Kingston Black form just down the road

:ph34r::ph34r: Where ? :ph34r::ph34r:

Did someone mention Kingston Black , I grew up there as a lad , Kingston that is

It looks a bit delecate. I guess i'm wrong though. How well tested is it? Will it take alot of serious stress? and is that a bush of some kind I can see around the ball joint? Will that be available indefinatly or might this product not be on the market for ever causing me to have to change my rear radius arms again? Sorry for the hard time, just whats on my mind.

Depends how you define 'delicate'. We tested the previous version which failed at 9.6 ton tensile load. The new version is over 15 ton and 18 ton compressive. The peak loading measured on a trailing arm was 2.2 ton - so there is a 7x safety margin.

The joint has a PU bushing inside which provides cushoning.

Whether the bush is available for ever, depends on how long X-Eng lasts. So far, in trials the bushes have lasted three years and we anticipate them lasting about five in many cases. As an insurance policy - you could just order a couple of sets at the same time. I suspect that with a spare set of bushes, the combo would last longer than most people own a truck. We would throw in a set for free if you were worried.

Si

It looks a bit delecate. I guess i'm wrong though. How well tested is it? Will it take alot of serious stress? and is that a bush of some kind I can see around the ball joint? Will that be available indefinatly or might this product not be on the market for ever causing me to have to change my rear radius arms again? Sorry for the hard time, just whats on my mind.

Little lesson here old chap, this is an X-eng product. God uses X-eng products. If Simon says it's up to the job, then there is no other alternative.

Guest WALFY
:ph34r::ph34r: Where ? :ph34r::ph34r:

Did someone mention Kingston Black , I grew up there as a lad , Kingston that is

Kingston?? Didn't realise you were Jamaican Jase. Your accent has changed a bit then!!! :P

What they said about X-Eng stuff. The design, quality and level of testing is extremely high and the quality of service is second to none. The joints he's made are beautiful and are being used on the back of my truck as well as the front (although this is not a bolt on upgrade). What Si doesn't say regarding testing is that one of the prototype joints ran around with grinding paste in it for 18 months with no issues. Paul Whightman also ran a set of a year or so on his last challenge truck - that set did not get an easy life. If you want to compare strength I've seen cases when the whole chassis end bush goes missing on stangard arms through shear abuse.

As far as stanard bushes go they will have a shorter life if they are spending most of they're time partly compressed in one direction. It will also limit droop travel. Separation of the metal disk for the bush material isn't really a problem though.

Mmmm, Cider. I'm down to the last few bottles of last year's home brew. I think they may be enjoyed tomorrow night as they're reaching their peak now...

Or

post-74-1207244085_thumb.jpg

So long as you grease them occasionally, they are guaranteed for 2 years - even in Romania and even then, replacement bushes are only a tenner.

Nice If only I still had rear arms on the TMC...

When I have some cash I could do with a hand brake as well

Here is a pic of a new Deflex bush fitted on my 90 with what is about a 40mm lift (not even quite 2 inches) The OE bushes that were on before lasted about 8 months of Romanian roads and they had this gap at the top with a very compressed bottom, I didnt think these would. Is it normal? Should I have corrected arms to stop this happening or should I just leave it as is?

Marcus, mine look identical, except they are red, Polybush red. They are OK but have not been on that long and certainly have not been beasted like your truck!

Is it possible/advisable/safe to crank the arm yourself? To try and save the bush could I just bend the end of the arm so that it stays straight with my height lift? I'm guessing cranked arms dont cost a couple of hundred quid for nothing but would it be safe to just bend it till I can afford some?

Is it possible/advisable/safe to crank the arm yourself? To try and save the bush could I just bend the end of the arm so that it stays straight with my height lift? I'm guessing cranked arms dont cost a couple of hundred quid for nothing but would it be safe to just bend it till I can afford some?

I wouldn't recommend it unless you know what you are doing.

Bending the arm will also effectively shorten it which will lift the diff nose.

Yeah. I thought of that but wasnt sure if it would shorten it enough to cause a problem..

It should only be negligable. However, the big problem is standard arms are made of chocolate. These do fail fairly regularly and it isn't pretty when they do.

You could fairly easily bend your own. The issue however is not the length, but the strength. The compressive loading can be enough to bend a straight arm. If you put a bend in it - it's just encouraging it to bend more.

You need to weld a gussett to the arm or at the very least beef up the walls to restore some of the strength.

Si