SVA Clarification

malpasman

Trying to find my head around the SVA

I am building a 100 inch hybrid using a range rover chassis and defender body panels. I would like to keep the vehicle registration if possible.

Using the DVLA web site, registering radically altered vehicles section, we have the points system.

I am using the original engine, chassis, suspension, axles, transmission and steering assembly. Using the scoring components, I have 9 points, not using the chassis points.

With the highlighted text below, am I correct in thinking that any modifications to the original chassis, the vehicle will then automatically be allocated a Q plate?

From DVLA Site

Allocating a vehicle registration mark

The vehicle must score eight or more points to retain the original registration mark. If less than eight points are scored or a second-hand or modified chassis or altered monocoque bodyshell is used, an enhanced single vehicle approval (ESVA), single vehicle approval (SVA) or motorcycle single vehicle approval (MSVA) certificate will be required to register the vehicle. A 'Q' prefix registration number will be allocated.

Scoring components

The following values will be allocated to the major components used:

• chassis or body shell (body and chassis as one unit - monocoque ie direct replacement from the manufacturer) (original or new) = 5 points

• suspension = 2 points

• axles = 2 points

• transmission = 2 points

• steering assembly = 2 points

• engine = 1 point

Where there is evidence that two vehicles have been welded together to form one (ie 'cut and shut') a 'Q' mark will be allocated. ESVA, SVA or MSVA will be required.

What, if any, modifications are allowed to a standard chassis [galvanising, addition of extra brackets, etc].

I have contacted Swansea to query this point, but I get the standard non committal reply. Has anyone had a recent SVA test and had this problem or can give an informed reply?

Many thanks Alan

Correct.

Modified chassis will require a new chassis number, will give you a Q plate, and will require an SVA test.

Level of modifications you can get away with is unfortunately open to interpretation, and is probably down to the individual examiner. But in short you cant get away with:-

Changes to the wheelbase

Shortening chassis rails (eg bobtailing a range rover)

Moving or changing crossmembers.

In other words welding a defender rear crossmember onto a rangie chassis would bee seen as a modification.

I think you'd get away with chaning engine/gearbox mounts, welding on roll cage mounts etc but thats about all. There are alot of hybrids etc out there that strictly speaking arent entitled to the plates that they display!

Jon

I can imagine that DVLA could make money out of selling Q plates. First you have to jump through lots of hoops to get a vehicle that qualifies for one and then you get choose whatever you like to go with it (within reason) and it will stay with that vehicle for life. Could be a DVLA money maker and add value to properly modified cars with an interesting plate, two collectables in one. Shame it wouldn't happen.

Trying to find my head around the SVA

I am building a 100 inch hybrid using a range rover chassis and defender body panels. I would like to keep the vehicle registration if possible.

Using the DVLA web site, registering radically altered vehicles section, we have the points system.

I am using the original engine, chassis, suspension, axles, transmission and steering assembly. Using the scoring components, I have 9 points, not using the chassis points.

With the highlighted text below, am I correct in thinking that any modifications to the original chassis, the vehicle will then automatically be allocated a Q plate?

From DVLA Site

Allocating a vehicle registration mark

The vehicle must score eight or more points to retain the original registration mark. If less than eight points are scored or a second-hand or modified chassis or altered monocoque bodyshell is used, an enhanced single vehicle approval (ESVA), single vehicle approval (SVA) or motorcycle single vehicle approval (MSVA) certificate will be required to register the vehicle. A 'Q' prefix registration number will be allocated.

Scoring components

The following values will be allocated to the major components used:

• chassis or body shell (body and chassis as one unit - monocoque ie direct replacement from the manufacturer) (original or new) = 5 points

• suspension = 2 points

• axles = 2 points

• transmission = 2 points

• steering assembly = 2 points

• engine = 1 point

Where there is evidence that two vehicles have been welded together to form one (ie 'cut and shut') a 'Q' mark will be allocated. ESVA, SVA or MSVA will be required.

What, if any, modifications are allowed to a standard chassis [galvanising, addition of extra brackets, etc].

I have contacted Swansea to query this point, but I get the standard non committal reply. Has anyone had a recent SVA test and had this problem or can give an informed reply?

Many thanks Alan

I have a Series 3 hybrid on rang rover running gear not sure how to get it on the road either might just leave it a range rover and run the risk. I would be interested to now how you get on with the SVA

I have a Series 3 hybrid on rang rover running gear not sure how to get it on the road either might just leave it a range rover and run the risk. I would be interested to now how you get on with the SVA

If in doubt it would be much wiser to jump through the official hoops - if you have an accident you could be in deep do-do with your insurance company and the police. Actually, your insurance company won't care - they'll just void your policy and laugh all the way to the bank while you assume the liability...

Gents many thanks for all of your input.

geoff

The main problem you will run into is the new style MOT.

It is my understanding that when you present yor vehicle for test, the tester notes the registration number, the chassis number, the make and model of the vehicle.

He then enters this infomation into his computer, this contacts Swansea and if all the data matches, allows the MOT to proceed.

If it does not match, it flags a problem [i.e. a ringer] to the tester. He then has another oppotunity to enter the data again [in case of mistake on his side]. If the data is entered again and does not match he can elect to carry on with the test but the vehicle would be flagged [at Swansea] for further investigation.

I was involved with my sons motorcycle MOT test. We put it in about 3 week early and the chassis number at Swansea did not match the V5 or previous MOT. We were able to complete the MOT, the bike passed, but the three weeks that should have been credited to the new test certificate, could not be added.

We received a letter from Swansea, I photcopyed the V5 and previous MOT certificate, filled in another form, sent them off to Swansea. We were then issued a new MOT certificate with the 3 weeks credited to it, from Swansea.

Even if the tester is a mate and processes the MOT, you could still get a pull from plod. Again the details will not match and the fine for the tester, when they check everything, would be high.

I am just starting my build, but it pays to know the rules before you start.

Regards Alan