Visciuos Fan removal

Dear fellows...(Lend me your ears :unsure: )

I have been poking head and tail into the LR defender 110 td5 99 mod to get the cooling fan out or better still to change the fan belt. I have followed the 3 oclock to 9 oclock rule and feel like the fan is coming off.. By the way I am using the Kennedy Spanner 36mm. The last touches to get it off isn't working. IT feels loose though but is there any trick as to getting it finally out? :( I need to get the belt changed since it has gone almost 180.000km....Just do not want to apply force :ph34r:. Any one been into this?All suggestions welcomed.

"Errrrr.... could you rephrase that question?"

At a guess I am assuming he is asking if the viscous fan spanner from another vehicle fits?

It is a standard industry size and as there are generally only two sizes used (32mm & 36mm) many spanners are double ended & cranked so you can pick one up from any motor-factors or car assessory shop for around £10.

"Errrrr.... could you rephrase that question?"

At a guess I am assuming he is asking if the viscous fan spanner from another vehicle fits?"

My guess is that he was asking if Fan VCs from a different car can be used, which, like getting a spanner from a nearby store, can depend on where in the world he is living.

Looking at his previous posts, he is in Germany, and has a 110 Tdi 1997 Station Wagon HardTop.

So, answering my own interpretation, I'd say he could try a fan VC from a BMW or Merc, although I know little or nothing about them. From my previous experience the 'new' VC must come off a Diesel engine, not a petrol engine, as the VC from a Diesel will be designed to work at lower engine speeds.

Is there a future in this - Write your own questions, then answer them? :-))

I suppose it could be worse, we could start arguing about the answers!!

Cheers.

he may find, even in Germany, that the BMW/Merc viscous fans are expensive. I do know the BMW M52 fan (as was fitted to Defenders here) costs double that of a Tdi unit and is a bit more than a TD5 unit.

The TD5 one is expensive because it comes with the plastic fan, unlike the others.