Steel wheels painted white

Hi All,

I've got steel wheels painted white on my vehicle, but they've started to rust and look a bit shabby and I want to do something with them before they get to bad to recover. Can anyone tell me the best way to restore them, what paint do I use? do I need to strip them right back? should I put a base coat of something on to stop the rusting?

The one in the picture is probably the worst of the five.

Thanks.

post-7575-1207993008_thumb.jpg

I have the same wheels which "looked" the same. I stripped them back with "Nitromors", cleaned them off, then did a final buff with a wire brush and drill combo.

Sprayed it with 2pack hi build primer, then once that was dried just painted it with a top coat of normal 2pack Car Paint (Jaguar Classic White - My Uncle had some spare ;)). Left them to dry overnight and job done. Only put on one coat, but so far thats survived 2 green lane trips (one with many large boulders and rocks clanging away on them, no chips)

Truck looks 100% better now, wheels really finish off the look. Since I can't really afford to fit a new engine AND buy new wheels, I decided to go the restore route.

Cheers

Matt2

Hi All,

I've got steel wheels painted white on my vehicle, but they've started to rust and look a bit shabby and I want to do something with them before they get to bad to recover. Can anyone tell me the best way to restore them, what paint do I use? do I need to strip them right back? should I put a base coat of something on to stop the rusting?

The one in the picture is probably the worst of the five.

Thanks.

A proper job would be to strip them right back to bare steel and then paint them with something like two pack polyurethane (sp), which will chemically harden to leave a strong finish.

When I decided to paint my wheels I had them grit blasted. I then primed and painted them. You can buy aerosol paint specifically for wheels - Holts 5-wheel silver/white/black/etc. Otherwise - normal car spray paint in cans will be ok to use.

Les.

Find a local finishers who will sand blast & powder coat or paint them for cash in hand, far less faffing about and you'll get a nicer and tougher finish. Failing that, new wheels are only about £25 a corner so it's not worth investing an awful lot in old manky ones.

Best price I have come across for sandblasting & powder coating is £40 per wheel. This includes removing tyre, blasting, powder coating, baking, refitting & balancing. Sounds a fair enough price but not worth it if new wheels are only £25.

Sure I realized I did not want to spend valuable time sandpapering and hustling and tusling.. I delivered mine to a local shop and here is how it looks like... (Not white though) :rolleyes:

post-7610-1208145944_thumb.jpg

post-7610-1208146032_thumb.jpg