winch bumper

gsr341

right , im in need of a winch bumper to house an 8274 on the front of my 300tdi defender ,

i really like the look (and approch angle) of the devon 4x4 high mount taper bumper , but not arfully keen on its £500 + price tag , and anothe £115+vat for the steering guard to match :angry:

so what are my options :unsure:

it has to be well made

high mount

preferably tapared (i like the look )

and most of all up to the job .

what do you all have (pics would be most welcome :) ) and why did you choose them and what are you opinions on them

cheers

;)

why not try and make one?............... as long as you can weld well its fairly easy.

this is the one i made for my X9......steel £15, galvanising £15 and a day to do it all.

the only real expense were the recovery eyes.

ive not managed to break it yet.........and part of the fun of having a landy is making your own stuff :)

DSCF0004.jpg

Edited by gelf

I run ARB as well and I wouldn't have anyhting else. The problem I see with many high mount bumpers is they bend too easily and its all too easy to damage your wings. I'm going to push mine back a bit further than it is at the moment which will give a pretty good approch angle and whenever it isn't enough I can just push things out of the way. How many bumpers can be used to push treestumps out of the ground??? :D

As far as steering gaurds go, I'm not so keen on the D44 one, one of the big things I think it needs to do is protect the drop arm but, on full lock, it doesn't. The next one I will buy will be a double skined W&H one.

ARB you may as well stick the Forth Rail bridge on the front as it wighs as much and sticks out as far

above bumper not my taste and risks the chassis rails that are a third of the thickness of the bumper itself IMHO.

D44 made this:

IMG_0635.JPG

IMG_0123-copy.jpg

Southdown will if your lucky make one exactly the same.

and you won't be paying the money you mention

The NAS has been equipped with the same Southdown bumper for the past 6 years. Tough 5mm steel, been bent once and straigthened / re-inforced by Nick Watts, been modified to take the Milemarker, galvanised and powder coated 3 years ago and a very reasonable price! Has tough welded recovery points. I also have a Southdown steering arm protector ditto above.

I'll second what jed says, gwyns bumpers are excellent and v strong. He does a couple of types, a tubular one and a tapered one similar to the devon bumper.

PS: Jed, is that your one thats parked outside his at the mo, lookin good!

ARB you may as well stick the Forth Rail bridge on the front as it wighs as much and sticks out as far

above bumper not my taste and risks the chassis rails that are a third of the thickness of the bumper itself IMHO.

D44 made this:

IMG_0635.JPG

:lol::lol:

I hate changing winges and not much gets past the bumper. Tony's looks very nice but gives no radiator protection from large obsticals or bonnet protection.

Chassis rails ?? Devon bumpers that weak are they :ph34r:

I'll second what jed says, gwyns bumpers are excellent and v strong. He does a couple of types, a tubular one and a tapered one similar to the devon bumper.

PS: Jed, is that your one thats parked outside his at the mo, lookin good!

hi rod, new to this forum larky.. yip that is mine outside gwyns.. hoping to have it finnished ready for donnington in feb.. and if i do say so myself gwyn has done one hell off a job on it. cheers for that anyway its always nice to hear good remarks when you have spent so much time money and heart into your machine.. im sure we all agree. :D