Bucket Seats - Anyone fitted them?

Yep had some fitted to my 90 V8. Ripped them out because the guy I sold it to couldn't fit in to the bucket seat. Now fitted to the Series III V8 looks good.

The seats are cobra fitted they have the tab on the rear of the seat which I've cut a groove with a small disk cutter and the rear tab slide in to stop the back tipping up and the holes line up with the front seat bolts.

I'll find some pics

Im looking at getting some in mine. Ive done them in a couple of cars with mates, and it was easy. Usually its a case of getting the right subframes and a few bolts. Although it might be different in a landy. I think theres comp requirements????

Guest WALFY

I think I have Cobra Monaco. I then went to Exmoor Trim to get the sliding subframes. They then bolt to the existing boltholes in the seatbox. So unbolt what you have and just bolt the new kit in. Takes an hour tops. Well worth it. But some one will come along and say that thet are awkward to get in/out of. I don't have this problem and neither does the wife.

They can be a PITA to get in and out of, but it all depends on how high your truck is. I had some cobra monaco's fitted in a rangie but took them out as I never really benefited from them. They are piece of cake to fit. All I did was remove the original seat and runner and replace it with the cobra seat on some runners and a piece of alli plate fixed to the bottom to fix to the seat mount.

HTH

I have these in my 90 after first ruling out the Cobra bucket seats for being too much effort to get in and out of.

The Ripspeed ones are mane by Cobra and come with a slightly smaller price tag. If you buy them off of the world's favourite auction site you'll find them at a fraction of the price cos no-one thinks they are any good ;)

I got mine with a pair of Cobra runners, then went to Exmoor Trim and ordered the Cobra subframe adaptors. I looked into making up the required bracket, but exmoor sell them for £17ish so it wasn't worth the hassle!!

At the same time, I fitted an extra spacer under the rear of the subframe to allow the runners to clear the lip on the seat box.

One of the best bit of kit in my landy!! Give brilliant support off road but can be a pain to get in/out of. Originally had 2x cobra imolas but have changed my seat to a QT challenger. Imolas can be a bit tight. Qt seat is superb as its a grp/kevlar shell seat. Easy to clean & dry.Bit more room also. Still waitng for the seat cushion to arrive. Both seats quite easy to fit. Keep an eye out on ebay as some bucket go for peanuts, & could be close to where you live.

Adrian

• 1 month later...

I'm thinking of putting bucket seats in my 90 300TDi and have found some on ebay which look quite nice. Just one question though - It looks like the seats I've been looking at are not the reclining sort, so would that mean I would need to move the battery to the back of the truck? Also I've heard of people putting in MG Rover seats, has anyone done this and what were/are they like to put in?

As several people have spotted, getting to the battery does involve taking the seat out...

Have co-driven for Orange in his truck, I don't think I would want anything quite so buckety, and his cobras are nothing like as deep at the sides as Walfy's! It's personal choice in the end though. Supportive seats are brilliant, but if you do something that involves getting in and out a lot (being a winch bitch for example) you will soon grow tired of them - I know I did.

Having said that, I have every intention of fitting 'sports' seats to my next project, but I will find some with shallow sides...

just my 2p

Mark

Hi

If your going down the bucket seat route then I would recommend you try a few out first as they aren't adjustable and some can be a errr... snug fit for the fuller figured gentleman? You might also find them more upright than regular seats, I personally like the cobras as they seem to fit me, You can go to any motorsport shop and try them out first, I personally have leather electric rangy ones in mine!

Mike

I was thinking of getting some of those ripspeed ones posted above but then I don't think the bottom would come out like the landy ones to get to the battery.

You are quite correct. As Mark has said, the seat needs to be removed from the vehicle to get to the battery.

If you do go for Cobra seats, Exmoor Trim sell a subframe that enables them to be mounted to the original 4 bolt fixings of the Defender seat box. If you fit the seats with runners, getting the seat out takes appoximately 2 minutes with the aid of a rattle gun. (that's with seats that recline and tilt)

My Ripspeed seats came from ebay (complete with the runners and universal sub-frames) in very good condition. They are in fact Cobra seats with different writing. Happily for me this meant that they cost a lot less than the equivalent Cobra embroidered ones :D The whole set-up cost me less than £120.

Hi,

I fitted Cobra Monaco seats with sliding capability and fixed subframes from Exmoor Trim. (1994 Defender 90 300tdi).

One subframe fitted ok and the other fitted on 3 of the 4 holes.

My passenger seat has 3 bolts holding it to floor.

I keep meaning to re-drill a bigger hole in the subframe.

I assume the frame was 'wonky' and not the car as it doesn't fit on either side ( the good one fits both sides).

Most of my car is like this ( with my measuring ) - so it's never really been a problem.

The seats are great and I'd definately recommend them.

Cheers, Dave

My Ripspeed seats came from ebay (complete with the runners and universal sub-frames) in very good condition. They are in fact Cobra seats with different writing. Happily for me this meant that they cost a lot less than the equivalent Cobra embroidered ones :D The whole set-up cost me less than £120.

Is it possible for you to post a link to some of the ones you got off ebay?

Is it possible for you to post a link to some of the ones you got off ebay?

As previously mentioned in post #6 above:

These seats are the ones I have.

The only drawback is that they are quite low at the back. I have a spacerof about 20mm under the back, but it could do with another 20mm. Good seats, though. I can sit comfortably for hours (and I'm not a small chap!!)

If I was doing it again, I would probably try to get some leather or PVC ones. Just for the added wipe-clean-ability.