Winch wire clamps

DSN

I am after some wire clamps for my 8mm cable but am struggling to find any.

I found some firms with a Google search but they only seem to want to sell to trade, not a couple to Joe Bloggs.

Does anyone have any suggestions where I could get some from? Could do with some this week as will be out at James' event on Saturday.

I believe I need 3 clamps for a safe joint.

Any info gratefully received.

Cheers,

No joins are safe Dan!

get a replacement.

What he probably mean is he wants 3 to carrry in the car with him to make an emergency safe joint.

In reply to the original question i've bought them in the past from farm supplies places, and i think i've seen them in B&Q.

Guest WALFY
No joins are safe Dan!

get a replacement.

Disagree there Tony. You can put a loop safely in SWR using the throated clamps. All depends on the size of the SWR as to the size and number and positioning of clamps.

You cannot join SWR end to end in a safe manner. You can join it with a certain knot for the life of me I can't remember it's name, but I wouldn't trust it to dangle me from a big drop.

Try "RS componants" they will sell you a few over the counter. Worth carrying a length of heat shrink with you or insulating tape as temp measure. Heat shrink can be applied with the aid of a lighter flame. Best to get the flt rectified as quick as poss as you dont want a winch wire chaffing & shorting out. One other thing the crimping tool for this size of wire is quite large! Im sure youll and up using a hammer but make sure they are repaired properly afterwards.

Adrian

It appears I have misread thepost & thought you were on about supply wires... Im agreement with white90 here, probably better to shorten the rope than rejoin. Guaranteed you be thinking "How strong is that join" every time you winch

It was for allowing me to put a new loop in, not to join!

Found some today in narrow boat chandlery that I never knew was there. Grest place with all sorts of stuff so will remember for future.

Anyway clamps now just a back up solution if worst case should ever happen and need to get out of a hole. New cable planned for this weekend.

Cheers for info.

Guest WALFY

Dan

I'll have a look at work tomorrow for specs. The strength come from the orientation of the clamps, spacing and quantity. Specs will be to military safety standards not civvy. So you can make your own conclusions from the specs

Guest diesel_jim
Dan

I'll have a look at work tomorrow for specs. The strength come from the orientation of the clamps, spacing and quantity. Specs will be to military safety standards not civvy. So you can make your own conclusions from the specs

down to a budget then. :lol::unsure::unsure:

Guest WALFY

Not neccessarily so young Jamie. Usualy they kick the arse out of it where safety is mentioned.

So far have only found out that you can use normal cordage knots to join SWR but any tight radii must be packed with round timber to stop any kinking and deformation to the SWR. Will look at more books this afternoon with regards to the clamp arrangements

Dan ,I have a spare brand new 150ft of 3/8" cable that came with a new winch I fitted for Shaunus ,

I can bring it down on sat if you like ,But you will have to see Shaun for the cash , cant imagine its worth much more than £20 :lol:

Ciderman,

Cheers for the offer but I am now sorted. Also suspect 150ft would be a little long for my needs.

See you Saturday in a nice field in glorious sunshine no doubt!!!!

Guest WALFY
Not neccessarily so young Jamie. Usualy they kick the arse out of it where safety is mentioned.

So far have only found out that you can use normal cordage knots to join SWR but any tight radii must be packed with round timber to stop any kinking and deformation to the SWR. Will look at more books this afternoon with regards to the clamp arrangements

Still looking but can't seem to find the correct booklet

In the old days we used to use SWR for bracing limbs/tight forks but fortunately we now use much better synthetic rope with bungees.

However, British Standards state the the bulldog grips should be 6 times the dia of the rope apart min 3 grips, the nuts should be on the long length of the rope (the bit that goes onto the drum) with U on the short end. It is essential to use a thimble.

No idea what the torque is for the nuts though, probably FT. I have seen the wire pull through he grips when not tight enough.

We also used to splice SWR, quite easy when you have seen someone do it and a much better finish than bulldog grips.