Pin type tow hitch

M005

I have a LR pin type recovery hitch on the back of the 90 and a trailer with the standard tow hitch on.

I could keep taking the recovery hitch off and putting the dixon bate back on every time I need to use the trailer, but that would get a tad annoying, so I need to change the hitch on the trailer.

Trouble is I can't find one anywhere :unsure:

Any ideas?

I have tried Towsure, done a google and asked at my (usually very good) local trailer centre - all with no joy.

TIA

Might be worth contacting Ifor Williams I am pretty sure they will supply various trailer hitch attachments. I have ordered trailers from them at work and specified 76mm NATO eyes to be fitted for example, no problem there. A 76mm NATO would be "just a bit clonky" with a pin hitch though :unsure: but they may be able to supply an eye with a smaller hole in it.

You can also buy a combi hitch which looks a bit like a NATO hitch (i.e. with a hinged top) but the bottom part of the jaw is shaped like a 50mm ball, so you can tow either a 50mm ball trailer, or a big eye like a NATO (or a tow rope etc). Not sure who makes them but you can buy them here, though they ain't cheap.

I'm not sure NATO rings fit in the pin hitches anyway.

Mark, would a pin/ball hitch like Tim sugested do the job for what you want?

Depends on what type of pin hitch.

There are 2 main types I have seen over the years - the old Land Rover galvanised one which had a very deep jaw, often seen on Series 3s etc, and the new "Dixon Bate 201661" style one, usually painted black. A NATO ring will fit in the former type - we've got several NATO-ringed trailers on the farm and they fit but are horribly clonky to tow, I wouldn't really recommend it for road use but it is possible. Land Rover have discontinued making these anyway, as of about a couple of years ago.

NATO ring won't fit in either the later "Dixon Bate" type hitch, or the "Pinball Wizard" type combination ball & jaw hitches (LR part no RTC8159 I think) as the jaw isn't deep enough on either of these - you can't get the ring in far enough to be able to get the pin through.

The other one that will apparently fit a NATO ring is the 4-bolt heavy duty 5 ton hitch shown here part number 201910, though I have never seen one of these in the flesh but as DB says it will fit, I guess it will. Should be strong enough too :)

I have a LR pin type recovery hitch on the back of the 90 and a trailer with the standard tow hitch on.

I could keep taking the recovery hitch off and putting the dixon bate back on every time I need to use the trailer, but that would get a tad annoying, so I need to change the hitch on the trailer.

Trouble is I can't find one anywhere :unsure:

Any ideas?

I have tried Towsure, done a google and asked at my (usually very good) local trailer centre - all with no joy.

TIA

If the trailer in question is unbraked, 40mm ring :D I'm suprised the trailer centre near you cannot supply, or try the trailer place at Southwick near Trowbridge.

Edited by western

Thanks Guys, sorry for the delay in replying was trundling round Dorset with work yesterday.

Thanks Western & Landrover589 - Just what I was looking for.

Tim / Mark: I could change to the Ball & pin type, but it would mean refitting the drop plate, which would mean removing the recovery point on the cross member, so I wouldn't gain anything. Don't want the drop plate on all the time due to ground clearance.

Ball & pin wouldn't go directly onto the rear crossmember due to clearance issues with spare tyre.

Trailer will be a bit nose high, but it doesn't / won't get much use so it shouldn't be an issue.

How about the ubiquitous orange dual hitch, like this on eBlag?? :D

Orange or not, still doesn't get around the height difference & fouling of the spare wheel :huh:

Cheers anyway, off to bother the local Trailer guy on Saturday to supply me one of the above linked <_<