Allisport VNT for 300Tdi

Bush65

A member of the Australian Land Rover Owners forum contacted Allisport in the UK and found they have a kit for fitting the VNT, as used on the International 2.8HS, to our 300Tdi engines.

They have made some changes, that appear (from the photo) to make it bolt on - new exhaust, and changes to turbine and compressor.

I fitted the genuine 2.8HS VNT to my 300Tdi and a bit of customisation work was required. This kit looks to solve all of that.

I haven't checked with Allisport or their web site - I don't need this now, but other members here could be interested.

8134d1208786609-mod-300tdi-vs-isuzi-4bd1t-turbo.jpg

The price being .........

mike

Aus$2,385.00 (I'm assuming delivered to Australia) - don't know conversion rate from Au$ to British pound (somewhere near 2 to 1), or delivery cost.

VAT is not applicable to Aus, so I assume was not included.

Allard motorsport in Gloucester have been offering VNT/VGT kits for 200 and 300 tdi s for some time now.

Somewhere around £1000 for a full kit I believe. LINK

Although Allisport are perhaps better known in landrover circles,from my small experience of them I would readily recommend Allard for alli fabrication and diesel tuning .

Allard motorsport in Gloucester have been offering VNT/VGT kits for 200 and 300 tdi s for some time now.

Somewhere around £1000 for a full kit I believe. LINK

Although Allisport are perhaps better known in landrover circles,from my small experience of them I would readily recommend Allard for alli fabrication and diesel tuning .

Thanks. Here is the link to the VNT for 300Tdi

And another pic of the turbo LandRover-300tdi-VNT-fitted.jpg

Some info from Allard, regarding setting up the VNT turbo.

AMC VNT VT5 TURBOCHARGER INSTALLATION ON LAND ROVER 200 & 300 TDI

Boost Gauge.

It is essential when setting up the boost pressure in relation to RPM and maximum boost, to have a boost gauge installed to read boost pressure.

We would recommend the following maximuim boost vs RPM curve on the 200 and 300TDI engine, for normal road use.

At WOT (wide open throttle) under acceleration:

1000 RPM – 2-3 psi

1500 RPM – 5-6 psi

2000 RPM – 14-18 psi

2500 RPM – 20-24 psi

3000 RPM – 20-25 psi

3500 RPM – 20-25 psi

4000 RPM – 20-25 psi

4500 RPM – 17-20 psi

For competition, the boost can be increased to 2.0 BAR (30 psi) for short bursts.

I found the same link yesterday by mistake and did a quick search for this AMC VNT VT5 TURBOCHARGER

but it looks like it doesn't exist in the Garrett list...???

1 million dollar Q is

I fitted the genuine 2.8HS VNT to my 300Tdi and a bit of customisation work was required

How does it go then????

:lol:

from my small experience of them I would readily recommend Allard for alli fabrication and diesel tuning .

Didn't Andrew work at Allard before starting Allisport?

:unsure:

1 million dollar Q is

I fitted the genuine 2.8HS VNT to my 300Tdi and a bit of customisation work was required. This kit looks to solve all of that.

How does it go then????

I put the VNT turbo and air to water intercooler on the 300Tdi engine at the same time that I fitted the 300Tdi into my rangie.

So I didn't have any baseline to compare the 300Tdi without and with VNT turbo. It has never been on a chassis dyno, and in any case I have no faith in comparing chassis dyno results between different vehicles (too many variables). Nor do I have any faith in deriving engine figures from chassis dyno figures.

I'm in the process of swapping an Isuzu 4BD1-T into the rangie (in place of the 300Tdi) and many other mods to the rangie. I have a BorgWarner R2S K16/K27.2 turbo (R2S for Regulated 2 Stage) for the 4BD1-T that, together with a tubular exhaust manifold to utilise exhaust pressure pulses, an air to water intercooler and tuning of the injection pump should give impressive performance. I have replaced the head bolts with ARP studs and expect the Isuzu head gasket and the rest of the engine to easily handle the expected 30 psi boost pressure.

Now the VNT turbo is out of the rangie, I'm looking at fitting it to my disco 300Tdi, but I don't have much time to work on it at the moment.

Here are some pics of my BorgWarner R2S turbo. The high pressure turbine and compressor (the small ones) are a bit larger than those used on a 300Tdi. Before the R2S came my way, I was seriously considering using the VNT turbo from my 300Tdi as the high speed turbine and compressor in a compound (2 stage) arrangement for the Isuzu.

post-62-1209082022_thumb.jpg

post-62-1209082043_thumb.jpg

post-62-1209082063_thumb.jpg

Andy is currently away racing at the Europeon Outbcak challenge and will be away for about 2 weeks.......

@Bush65: If you are intrested give him a call when he is back, he's a really nice guy.

I have heard that a VNT fitted to a 300 gives better performance than it fitted to a 2.8 as the 2.5 rev's harder? Not sure how much truth is in that though :unsure:

Jim

Andy is currently away racing at the Europeon Outbcak challenge and will be away for about 2 weeks.......

@Bush65: If you are intrested give him a call when he is back, he's a really nice guy.

I have heard that a VNT fitted to a 300 gives better performance than it fitted to a 2.8 as the 2.5 rev's harder? Not sure how much truth is in that though :unsure:

Jim

Thanks Jim.

I have emailed Andy about intercoolers and knew he was at the Outback.

I started this thread to inform others about VNT turbo kits for the 300Tdi, as there was a lot of interest in the thread about the VNT for TD5 engines. I already have a VNT from the 2.8HS, so don't need one of these kits.

Jim

Fully optimised I can believe that however every tdi I've driven feels rough and badly balanced compared to a 2.8.

Fully optimised I can believe that however every tdi I've driven feels rough and badly balanced compared to a 2.8.

I seem to remember specs for the 2.8 mentioning a balance shaft. If so, they should feel better.

• 8 years later...
  • 6 years later...