Police style Spot Lamp

Shackleton

Thought you might like to see this...

Fitted it to fill a hole left by some aerial or other the previous owner had cut into the roof :(

Got it in a chandelry, there's a knob indie that allows you to pan and tilt. This shot isn't the greatest, the lamp looks out of proportion to the truck (I'm getting stick from my pals, but it's better in the flesh... )

It's not the greatest in terms of quality but it's sturdy and powerul enough and only cost about 60 euro, I'm happy put it that way and harassing the fishermen at night is fun.

EDIT: post the pic George :D

post-1811-1208982819_thumb.jpg

I've got a hole in my head lining as I got it from a scrapped defender that used to have one of these. I've been trying to find one for a reasonable price but cant. I only found one, once , on ebay and it was 75 pounds for second hand "Ring" one.

What is the proper name for these becuase I never find them when I do searches for them online.

If you are after one for lamping buy a light force lamp, I've had mine for 7/8 years and never had a problem and it gets quite abit of use (lamping 2 or 3 nights a week). There is a good selection of different coloured filter's for them and you can buy a couple of different styles of roof mounted handle for them.

With a 100w bulb in them they are great!

Rich

Thought you might like to see this...

Fitted it to fill a hole left by some aerial or other the previous owner had cut into the roof :(

Got it in a chandelry, there's a knob indie that allows you to pan and tilt. This shot isn't the greatest, the lamp looks out of proportion to the truck (I'm getting stick from my pals, but it's better in the flesh... )

It's not the greatest in terms of quality but it's sturdy and powerul enough and only cost about 60 euro, I'm happy put it that way and harassing the fishermen at night is fun.

EDIT: post the pic George :D

I have a pair similar to this one. They came off an Avon and Somerset Police Range Rover that was being decommissioned in the 1980's. I don't know if they work.....

I am planning to put them on eBay next week and will be of interest to anyone restoring an old police Range Rover. I believe other county police forces used them as well.

I do not know how to put photos on here but if anyone cares to give an email address I can send pics for anyone who may be interested ;).

Cheers,

Bob.

Search for Unity lamp on ebay or Google. Unity make (and seemingly have always made - since the '20's or whatever) the lamps for the US cop cars. They're real nice and were what I was looking at before I found mine. Make sure you're getting a roof mount one though cause the US ones are predominantly A piller mounts. Plus a lot of the ones on ebay are 'period'.

Can't tell you the make of mine cause it came in an unmarked white box from new and didn't notice any markings on the lamp itself.

The other thing I'll say is wire it up outside the car before you cut any holes, it so happens that the hole I filled with the lamp puts it a little too far forward so when it's on at night and poiting forward it smokes the front screen with light if you get me. I'm gonna have to make up a little visor for the lamp to shield the front screen from the light.