Kenlow Electric Fan

Firstly - if you don't know if you need one, what makes you think you might need/want one? All the time the viscous is working OK there are not many reasons to swap it out. Being able to turn it off for wading is a good reason, as is faster warmup (esp. in winter) and the ability to stick the fan on to pre-empt the engine getting hot, for example when towing. If the viscous stops working, that's another good reason :P

Don't buy a Kenlowe, they're vastly overpriced and their stats are rubbish.

Buy an X-Eng fan switch (forum discount in SimonR's signature ;) ) and use a second hand fan from a car - take a tape measure to the scrapyard, expect to pay between £5 and £25 depending on what the fan comes from.

I believe Ryan has a pair of 12" Kenlowes for sale at considerably below list price as an alternative.

I really should invest in a controler kit from x-eng but for now I have a Vaxhaul Corsa fan (its a bosch item) with a relay onto a switch on the dash. I just have to keep my eyes on the temp guage and put it on and off myself. to be honest I prefer this simplicity and total control rather than hoping a thermostat never fails on me. This way I only have my self to blame if I forget to turn it on!!

Firstly - if you don't know if you need one, what makes you think you might need/want one? All the time the viscous is working OK there are not many reasons to swap it out. Being able to turn it off for wading is a good reason, as is faster warmup (esp. in winter) and the ability to stick the fan on to pre-empt the engine getting hot, for example when towing. If the viscous stops working, that's another good reason :P

Don't buy a Kenlowe, they're vastly overpriced and their stats are rubbish.

Buy an X-Eng fan switch (forum discount in SimonR's signature ;) ) and use a second hand fan from a car - take a tape measure to the scrapyard, expect to pay between £5 and £25 depending on what the fan comes from.

I believe Ryan has a pair of 12" Kenlowes for sale at considerably below list price as an alternative.

This is one of those things that I think would work better, i.e the other day I was in very cold conditions for the week and this popped into my head as the truck did not like it much... Was also looking at a heat exchanger for the diesel as this would help allot. Again it's one of those things that at the end of the day should prolong the life of the engine.

I'm not sure it's worth it unless you are looking for things to do.

Even with a viscous fan running all the time the Puma warms up much faster than any other engined LR I've even had.

At 0 degrees it takes about two miles to get heat from the vents.

All the time the viscous unit is working it should have hardly any affect on engine life.

How cold are you planning on going?

I've got a manual switch and the X-eng thermostat housing - best of both worlds.

I did have the x eng switch, but thats now fitted to a TVR Cerbera (most exoctic fitment yet Si?)

But always have the manual overide.

Ive just fitted one of these, testing this weekend:

post-400-1209121295_thumb.png

Perma Cool 19115 16" High Performance Electric Fan

Mounting Area Req'd: 16" x 16" x 3-3/4"

Est. CFM: 2950

Motor RPM: 1750

AMP Draw: 9.8

Fuse Size: 30 AMP

I'm not sure it's worth it unless you are looking for things to do.

Even with a viscous fan running all the time the Puma warms up much faster than any other engined LR I've even had.

At 0 degrees it takes about two miles to get heat from the vents.

All the time the viscous unit is working it should have hardly any affect on engine life.

How cold are you planning on going?

I was in -20º the other day, go job I had the winter kit installed....

The heated windshield works a treat.

I've got one of those switches fitted into the bottom radiator hose and works fine. It replaced my old Kenlowe set-up which was a bit of an outdated design (although it has never broken down). As far as I know the X-eng parts are standard items which means you will probably find similar switches at a scrapyard. But for cooling issues I suggest to buy a new quality part anyway. Replacing a cracked cylinder head is no fun.

Cheers

Marco

Short answer is no.

I have not noticed any difference in fuel consumption.

If you intend to deep wade regularly with a petrol engine then you can turn electric fans off so there is less chance of water being thrown all over the electrics.

I do have Kenlowes on my RRC, but wouldn't bother again.

I was in -20º the other day, go job I had the winter kit installed....

The heated windshield works a treat.

At -20 was there a problem warming the engine up?

I just can't see removing the viscous fan making a huge difference. Must be better ways.

I have used electric fans for offroading, but have gone back to a viscous fan for that too after problems with electric ones.

Yes, the heated seats and screen are nice, not that I've been in such cold climates as you yet.

It did warm in the end, my arse got warmer quicker though...

I think then the answer is not to bother, as it has been fine so far, I do think the heat exchanger for warming the fuel would be a good call though. And maybe something to warm the engine a little quicker (kenlow heater thingy) but that is sooooo expensive and not for me at the moment.