Shortcuts.....why do we bother??

Jon White

Took my truck in for an Mot this morning, and as there was a traffic jam going the main road route home I decided to take the scenic route via a local green lane.

Needless to say this lane is no challenge to drive at all, I've done it a million times, but you guessed it - I got stuck! Still never mind, got a bit muddy, and winched myslef out without drama. Went home and thought nothing more of it.

Blow me if less than 2 hours later I get a call from Nigel Thorne whos now stuck in exactly the same place! Off I go again and I find this:-

gallery_31_525_63045.jpg

He was in a bit of pickle........well and truely stuck, and he'd even managed to snap the winch rope trying to get himself out!

Front wing is a bit of mess....

gallery_31_525_636504.jpg

Winched him out safely and he and a distinctly unimpressed Mrs Thorne were on their way!

Stickier than it looks that hole.......it never used to be this dug out!

gallery_31_525_537094.jpg

Jon

Glad to see you got your priorities right and took photos before offering assistance.

Steve

Absolutely! Well it has to be done doesnt it?

Yes- my truck sailed through its mot. The examiner even commmented that my weldings getting better :-) (I've been going to the same place for years).

Its got really quite severely dug out now. That pipe looks like a land drain and is about 12" diameter. I'm not sure if its got dug out as a result of the lane getting dug out, or if the drain itself has casued the wash out. Either way said land drain is now draining directly into the hole that Nigel was stuck in so I'd expect it to get more severely washed out with any heavy rain soon.

Jon

Have you let the council ROW dept know? For now it looks like an easy fix for them to go along and tip a load of material into the hole and solve the problem before it becomes a bigger and wetter hole.

Chris

Chris has a good point and will most certainly please the landowner.....it will also mean that RoW dept has record of the lane being used ;)

Chris has a good point and will most certainly please the landowner.....it will also mean that RoW dept has record of the lane being used ;)

Surely the 'land owner' is the local council, that are responsible for the upkeep of these lanes....

Parts of this lane are now being abused by the idiot fringe, going off the lane etc so we need to keep an eye open.

As an aside what colour is my truck, is it 50th anniversary blue as I now need some paint as well.

It no doubt will haunt me especially with Joan who now likes the Land Rover even less.

Sadly I have to say that a great many of the local lanes have been afflicted by the same lot. There seem to be a good number of lanes where people have been going off the lanes playing off to the sides. Theres one over hindhead way that has been particularly badly abused in this manner.

Jon