My Gigglepin experience

white90

After I was lucky enough for Val to say if you need anything for the L/R go ahead and get it

I took her at her word and did :)

I placed a couple of orders

a day later a large box arrived for the first order

after a day or so putting it all together/wiring it up fitting the extra solenoids, moving radiator back 15mm(easier said than done)

and fitting the new 12mm Bowrope(thanks to David Bowyer for great service to)

JSTs event yesterday saw its first run out.

and what more can I say than it is superb!

we never double lined once no matter where we winched

it is a great piece of engineering and a credit to Jim at Gigglepin.

Excellent service, top product.

http://www.gigglepin4x4.net/8274/twinmotor.htm

Must admit it never entered my head to use a double line once yesterday. The winch just pulled and pulled. Even in the bog at the end of the day with muck over the bonnet and a 6 foot bow wave. We did suffer a bit of voltage drop off though in the bog which meant we cut and ran leaving 2 punches rather than risk going for it with less than 30 mins to go. That winch is just awesome

Not quite Charles :)

But I have beat all the dents out of the roof with a Dead blow hammer I found again after moving.

Looks a treat now

Replaced the Mirror/washed cleaned all the Recovery gear.

Good to Go again once The winch is put back together

post-5-1209394195_thumb.jpg

Not quite Charles :)

But I have beat all the dents out of the roof with a Dead blow hammer I found again after moving.

Looks a treat now

Replaced the Mirror/washed cleaned all the Recovery gear.

Good to Go again once The winch is put back together

It have to have its own little floor mats as well, don't want the grass getting dirty now its all ready!!!!

winch looks good, and glad its working well,

Will indeed as I've said.

Today I removed it from the 90 so I can change the oil check all is ok inside etc.

Ahh, do you want to borrow my tap to do a filler plug and drain plug? It's an interesting moment drilling something that lightens the wallet as much as a Gigglepin housing (I know ;) ) but makes servicing soooooo easy.

Ahh, do you want to borrow my tap to do a filler plug and drain plug? It's an interesting moment drilling something that lightens the wallet as much as a Gigglepin housing (I know ;) ) but makes servicing soooooo easy.

The Gigglepin top housing has a filler plug in it!

Never bothered doing a drain plug in mine as it only takes ten minutes to remove the winch and split the casing. That way you can have a good look round and check everything looks good, Pop the brake off, Clean grease and refit, fresh oil and back on with piece of mind. Do mine every 2-3 events (or every event if its had a drowning) dependent on how hard they have worked, A couple of hours and you can do both which is more than worth it. Also not a bad idea to have the end off the motor/s, Clean the dust out and check the brushs/slip ring.

The Gigglepin top housing has a filler plug in it!

Never bothered doing a drain plug in mine as it only takes ten minutes to remove the winch and split the casing. That way you can have a good look round and check everything looks good, Pop the brake off, Clean grease and refit, fresh oil and back on with piece of mind. Do mine every 2-3 events (or every event if its had a drowning) dependent on how hard they have worked, A couple of hours and you can do both which is more than worth it. Also not a bad idea to have the end off the motor/s, Clean the dust out and check the brushs/slip ring.

Very true but its on the side rather than on the top and it isn't that easy to get at the side especially mounted as mine will be.... Wading plugs give you a good sized hole making filling a doddle.

I did a drain plug on mine as it was more than a 10 minute job to get an 8274 out of an ARB bumper. I used to change oil after every event as it only took 5 minutes but if it didn't look great when I drained it then I poped the top housing off to have a look inside.

I'd agree about servicing motors. Again, every event pull them, strip them, clean them, check bushes, check slip ring, check bearings (I've had these go before), reassemble, refit. It may be a bit OTT but 24V through highly strung 12V motors and all that....

Its amazing how a lot of people really don't think about winch maintenance especially given the cost of them and how hard a life they tend to live :huh:

Guest diesel_jim
Bluddy cheque book off-roaders! :rtfm:

Les. :P

i prefer a 4x4 or a 2x1 myself......

i find the paper in the cheques gets all muddy and soggy.... :lol::lol::lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Its amazing how a lot of people really don't think about winch maintenance especially given the cost of them and how hard a life they tend to live :huh:

Most of the winches I see are never used, just a fashion accessory. We are considering getting the Chinese to make plastic fake winches. Reckon we could make a killing there :lol: