200 TDi Lifting

Should be two lifting eyes bolted to the engine at the top- one at the front just behind the small heater hose and one at the back just in front of the heater plug relay. Should just need a couple of shackles and a short piece of chain to attach it to the crane. Not sure but depending on which crane you have you might have to remove the radiator and slam panel as you may not be able to lift th engine high enough to clear it.

They dont look anything special, just flat plate with a hole in it bolted to the block, one at the front one at the back.

If they've been removed for some reason I'd use a tow strop passed around the engine front and back making sure nothing vulnerable will get squashed when it's lifted and it's good and secure, and pass it through a shackle to the crane hook.

Lifting brackets are items 17 & 19 & 21 on this parts diagram & 2 photo's from my Defender spec 200Tdi, I've had this engine from new & it only has the front & rear lift eyes fitted. both are bolted to the cylinder haed not the block.

post-20-1209502141_thumb.jpg

post-20-1209502195_thumb.jpg

post-20-1209502262_thumb.jpg

It would need to be long enough to make a four point sling if you know what I mean - one end hooked on crane hook/shackle, passed under engine and back up to the shackle, then back down under the front of the block and back up secured to the shackle.

Not the best way to do it as you won't be able to adjust the angle as it comes out and goes back in very easily, and there is a risk of damage - use wooden blocks against the side of the engine to keep the strop away from pipes/lift pump etc.

I'd also get the rad and front panel removed if you do it this way so you dont have to lift it very much.

If you can order the lifting points from craddocks or somewhere it might be easier though, and probably a bit safer.

If you want them both out I'd lift them out together. Just try putting part of your sling near the bellhousing to help distribute the weight. Saves undoing all the bellhousing bolts while there on the car.

I think I read your taking the slam panel and rad out? If not I'd be tempted to split it as you could damage the rad.

Good luck!

Edited because I can't spell.....